Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #21
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
You do have some big dreams @BeagleMan ! That's great!
I was thinking of the video that you shared here - I had seen that one also and am considering some of his ideas for water and waste management.

So I think I'm getting a different impression now. From your first post, I was thinking that you wanted to have a few days of power backup, or a quick getaway. And my first thought was that your design was way overkill.
But if your idea is more like the Steven Lewis video and you plan to be off grid for weeks at a time, then your ideas make a lot more sense.

For your question on number of batteries, here's a couple of considerations:
-by having the Onan also, you will be safe starting smaller and building up as you determine what your needs are. Less battery means more generator, but also less overall weight.
-perhaps you could do an energy audit? If you installed the Victron BMV-712 monitor and shunt to start with, it could give you that audit information. From there you could start making better decisions that may help to decide the right size system for you.

We decided to get our new Montana with the Super Solar Flex option. It is a system that is about half the capacity you are thinking of. We are stuck in winter right now so haven't used the system, so I can't comment on how well it may work. We may look at upgrading it a bit after we've used it.
Have you seen info on the Super Solar Flex system?
- this video is from Matt Wolkins of Futuresales and is the guru who designed the system for Montana. I like this one as he explains the pieces and why they chose them. It may give you some ideas.

Hope that helps!
Brad
PM sent

BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'd put them up front in the generator compartment. This rig doesn't have a generator but we've put them above the generator without any problems.

I'd look into the Cerbo vs. the Color Control.

Also, wait for the Battleborn GC3 w/heat to come out before buying batteries. They're 255AH each and can be bussed together easier than the GC2's. 5 would be 350lbs and 16.9KW.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:45 AM   #23
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
I don't understand the "why" but I certainly can appreciate the "how".

Beautiful install 66. Look forward to seeing Beagles install as well.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #24
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post

Also, wait for the Battleborn GC3 w/heat to come out before buying batteries. They're 255AH each and can be bussed together easier than the GC2's. 5 would be 350lbs and 16.9KW.
Awesome install, @66 Galaxie!

Have you heard when the GC3 batteries might be available?
Thanks,

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #25
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Post 21 was a great video. It brought up a question for me. I have a 2000 watt inverter continues 1600 watt. With soft a start will it run 15000 BTU air conditioner?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #26
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Probably not. I have a msh-3012 3000 watt inverter and needed a EasyStart to avoid overloading it.

I believe there is a “Gone with the Wynns” YouTube video depicting that very same behavior. Not positive from memory the size of their AC unit.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #27
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Awesome install, @66 Galaxie!

Have you heard when the GC3 batteries might be available?
Thanks,

Brad
Supposed to be out after the 1st of the year.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #28
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Post 21 was a great video. It brought up a question for me. I have a 2000 watt inverter continues 1600 watt. With soft a start will it run 15000 BTU air conditioner?
Lynwood
No. An MS2812 will start and run one with a soft start. It's not the running amps that get you. It's the initial startup surge. When warm a typical AC will pull 3x the run amps.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #29
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If Solar is your hobby more power to ya. But I just don't see the practical side of all of it. Every time someone starts talking about spending this kind of money on a solar setup for their RV I get the image of the electric car being charged by a DIESEL generator on the side of the interstate...….

From my perspective, if your inclined to boondock it makes a LOT more sense, easier and cheaper to invest in a good quality generator. That and if your able chase the weather (you know so your not in extreme heat that would burn more juice....??

Having said that if they ever invent some super "green" energy source that is actually practical then I'm on board. I just haven't seen it yet. Happy for my tax dollars to support RESEARCH for same but not subsidize it!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #30
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
If Solar is your hobby more power to ya. But I just don't see the practical side of all of it. Every time someone starts talking about spending this kind of money on a solar setup for their RV I get the image of the electric car being charged by a DIESEL generator on the side of the interstate...….

From my perspective, if your inclined to boondock it makes a LOT more sense, easier and cheaper to invest in a good quality generator. That and if your able chase the weather (you know so your not in extreme heat that would burn more juice....??

Having said that if they ever invent some super "green" energy source that is actually practical then I'm on board. I just haven't seen it yet. Happy for my tax dollars to support RESEARCH for same but not subsidize it!!
Generators will always be the cheap and easy solution. Until they're banned by the national parks and overzealous politicians. They're noisy and dirty and the LP versions drink the fuel that runs your furnace and fridge. Plus, not everyone wants to start a gen to make coffee much less listen to a generator run all night to keep the bedroom cool.

I've seen and worked on rigs that can go months without the need to plug in to a generator or shore power. Be it busses with 100kw to 25' travel trailers that are totally inverted. Most of the stuff we build for people is limited by the water they can carry.

As batteries and panels get better, generators will get less and less prevalent.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:19 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Probably not. I have a msh-3012 3000 watt inverter and needed a EasyStart to avoid overloading it.

I believe there is a “Gone with the Wynns” YouTube video depicting that very same behavior. Not positive from memory the size of their AC unit.

Thanks
It probably won’t but I’m going to try it. My MH has a 4000 micro quiet Onan. I don’t like it. It might be small but quiet is a bit of a stretch. I’d like to have a easy start anyway so I will try it. If I doesn’t work nothing ventured nothing gained.
Lynwood
Old 12-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

No one wants to listen to noisy generators when you are out camping.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #33
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Thanks
It probably won’t but I’m going to try it. My MH has a 4000 micro quiet Onan. I don’t like it. It might be small but quiet is a bit of a stretch. I’d like to have a easy start anyway so I will try it. If I doesn’t work nothing ventured nothing gained.
Lynwood

By all means try it. I was just giving you my experience. Best of luck.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #34
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
No one wants to listen to noisy generators when you are out camping.

I could not agree with you more.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #35
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Generators will always be the cheap and easy solution. Until they're banned by the national parks and overzealous politicians. They're noisy and dirty and the LP versions drink the fuel that runs your furnace and fridge. Plus, not everyone wants to start a gen to make coffee much less listen to a generator run all night to keep the bedroom cool.

I've seen and worked on rigs that can go months without the need to plug in to a generator or shore power. Be it busses with 100kw to 25' travel trailers that are totally inverted. Most of the stuff we build for people is limited by the water they can carry.

As batteries and panels get better, generators will get less and less prevalent.
I agree.

Here's our experience:
-when we were getting designs for solar in our prior rig about 5 years ago, it was almost unheard of to run even a single AC unit from battery and solar. It was like the holy grail; only a few brave souls had done it, and it was considered very leading edge and very expensive. And, those folks were having issues experimenting, like burning up inverters, etc.

-the time before that, about a decade ago, and our solar was a single, 50 watt panel (I think it was over $500 then) to charge our single 12v "deep cycle" battery. Wow, then we could overnight at a Walmart and charge our cell phones! Still couldn't watch TV, and you really had to be careful how many light bulbs you turned on, or you'd drain your battery before morning.

Fast forward to today, and you can order a factory option with solar and battery that can run everything in your RV, including the AC. On the new SSF package from Montana, there is no gen prep, intentionally. We are expecting not to bring a portable gen either.

Solar, battery and other electronics have quietly made a lot of progress, so much that things impossible a few years ago are routinely done today. Where will we be in 5 more years?

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
By all means try it. I was just giving you my experience. Best of luck.

Thanks I’ll need it.
Lynwood
Old 12-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #37
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Supposed to be out after the 1st of the year.
Hoping for that. My project is a 2 year plan, so, it seems they will be available by then. I say 2 years, but it will be done in less than that, assured. I just go through with analysing the SSF and what I am needing. Looks like the SSF is going to fall short of expectations. The way things look now, I will try and set up my system to use 6 of the GC3 DFs. Be getting drone pics and video of my roof here soon so I can plan on what kind of panels will fit, how many and at what strength(Wattage)

But, dude, those are some awesome builds!! I do love your thoughts on mounting these above the Genset. You may have a client soon.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #38
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Hoping for that. My project is a 2 year plan, so, it seems they will be available by then. I say 2 years, but it will be done in less than that, assured. I just go through with analysing the SSF and what I am needing. Looks like the SSF is going to fall short of expectations. The way things look now, I will try and set up my system to use 6 of the GC3 DFs. Be getting drone pics and video of my roof here soon so I can plan on what kind of panels will fit, how many and at what strength(Wattage)

But, dude, those are some awesome builds!! I do love your thoughts on mounting these above the Genset. You may have a client soon.
As big as you're getting you may want to look into a Volta system with an 8k alternator. https://voltapowersystems.com/
Old 12-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #39
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
As big as you're getting you may want to look into a Volta system with an 8k alternator. https://voltapowersystems.com/
Thank you. Looked at it, but it seems it caters to Coaches and mechanized RVs. They have anything for 5th wheels? Where would I put an alternator?

I'll keep looking through the site tho. Interesting stuff.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #40
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
ey guys! First off, I am just loving this rig of mine. 2021 Montana 3763BP First 5th wheel ever owned and we are FT in it too. Stationary for the moment in a great campground with awesome people and support staff. As I learn more and more about this rig, I get so excited and I always wonder how much more fun I can add to it before getting on the road in mid Spring of 2021.

One thing I have thought of, is Solar. More apt would be High Tech Solar. I have read some threads in here and others and their setups and there are some awesome jobs being done out there. So, that being said, I have dreamed up something big. Like BIG. More or less copying off others and see how I can fit certain aspects of others and incorporate it on my rig. Kind of like, taking the best thing off one setup here, one setup there and see if it can be beneficial to my rig.

First off, the reasons...Boondocking sounds like fun if it is done right. I know some ins and outs of it, and it is appealing to me. Another reason is, is preparedness. The way the country is going, knowing which states to avoid, being in a campground and the power goes out for who knows how long? I just wanting to be prepared. And wanting a setup that I can use whatever, whenever and however I need or want. I have research to do on the energy and power levels of everything we run and use and set up the solar that way. To some, it may be overkill, but this is my Home now, this is how I want to live. Free.

So, here goes. I have a thought process that tells me that I need my ducks in a row now. I need to have the plan in my head before implementing so I can deduce this from that as I go along. So, my first process is, batteries. I know I will want BattleBorns, 100Ah and I know I will need at least 12 to 15 of them. Told you I was going big.....
What I want to know is...In the Battleborns, there are 100AH LiFePO4 12v DC batteries at the $960 range and there is the GC2 100AH batteries in 12v DC at $1060 Question: What are the differences sans the cost? Are they that way for spacing issues?
And that is another area i am looking into. Spacing and how this affect or go into my rig? If any of you are familiar with my rig and floorplan, I want to listen to you. Where would be the best place to align this type of battery spread? Obviously, in the compartment, but where? How to balance the weight of it all? Does this cut into my Carry Capacity? Or is that something the Installers would know? What say you?

Here is a list of possible products I see myself wanting to use....Remember, I realize the cost in this, I am not worried about that. This is a long term investment and I have thought it out, I have convened with others outside the forum on this project. It is what it is.

12-15 Battleborn Batteries- 100Ah 12v LiFePO4 DC. Normal or GC2?

9 REC Solar N PEAK Series Solar panels, set in 3 strings of 3. Question: Which to go with? 325 watt or 330 watt at a $2 diff in price? Do I need to go bigger in wattage? I'm looking to create anywhere from 15k to 17K watts.

2 - Victron Charge Controllers 250/100
2 - Victron Multi-Plus Inverters 24/3000/70
1 - Victron Autotransformer 120/240/32
1 - Victron Color Control GX monitor
1 - Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor
1 - Atkinson's Electronics GSCM-Mini
1 - Victron-Orion 24-12 DC - DC Converter
finally, a Cummins Onan 5500W EVAP Gas Gen Set with vent. In case of emergencies and to charge on multiple cloudy days.
And a crap load of wires and connectors and.......

Told you that I dream big. But, I have 2 years to get this done. I may even buy some of it a little at a time. Would like your thoughts.
Thank you!

AC.
That is a lot of batteries. Yes, ALL that equipment is part of your load. No idea what the Atkinson's device is. Why do you need an autotransformer?
I have a 3811MS and 4 Battle Born's (I might add 2 more) with one 12/3000 and 4x170Watt solar (might add 2 more). When the sun shines that is plenty. I moved a couple of wires in the main RV power panel since onlyh one leg is on the inverter. What isn't powered is the bedroom AC, washer, dryer, fireplace, and hot water electric (it's on propane). One slot is spare where the converter was that I removed. Other changes are no electric kettle, no electric toaster, no electric coffee machine, maybe no microwave. I have 2 Honda EU2000 for those west coast rainy days.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote