Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Dually Mud Flaps ideas

I saw a thread about the Rock Tamer mud flaps but I’m not sure I like that look. We just bought a 2020 GMC dually and am wondering what Mud Flaps people on our Monte forum would recommend. Also wondering does that much really get thrown to warrant the real big flaps. - This is coming from a guy who recently moved up from a C class.

Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Those of us with painted rigs are big fans of mud flap protection. When I had a normal fiberglass rig it really didin't matter to me. But if you travel muddy roads, they will save you some cleaning.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have the GM Mud Flaps on my 2018 Dually and they do help, but I still have a fair amount of chips in the front section (generator/battery compartment).
I think being set back farther would help. Maybe someone has them an give you real world experience.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have the GM Mud Flaps on my 2018 Dually and they do help, but I still have a fair amount of chips in the front section (generator/battery compartment).
I think being set back farther would help. Maybe someone has them an give you real world experience.
At least for 2020 they only have GM mud flaps that are 15.5” wide so only really cover the outer tire. Maybe an after market flap that is wider. I’m just not finding much do to body changes. Maybe a few month from now !!!?
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We had after market mud flaps installed on our dually right after we purchased it brand new. We also had the bed sprayed. Both were good choices. We towed travel trailers with duallys for years, and even with mud flaps installed on the truck behind each set of tires, rocks and stuff still chipped away at the trailer in tow.

Eventually, we purchased a Rock Guard that attached to the receiver hitch and we used it all the time. This helped a lot. The problem though, it attached to the hitch and every time the hitch came off I had to disassemble the Rock Guard to take it off. But it did help protect the travel trailers. But putting in on and taking it off was a real pain. Eventually, just quit using it.

Fast forward again. New Dually truck (in my signature below) and eventually our first fifth wheel. Well, it seemed the front of the new fifth wheel picked up its share of dirt, so decided to put the old receiver hitch back in receiver and attach the Rock Guard again. And.... away we went ... destination .... Campground!

Well.....

When we got there I had a very, very unpleasant un-surprise! The truck (in my signature below) has a tail pipe that comes out the back of the truck and not the side. Right were the Rock Guard was, in front of the exhaust pipe, the entire thing was melted completely away.... and... even more unpleasant un-surprise! Oh yea! ... that melted black plastic blew all over the trailer. Oh yuck! What a mess!

Fortunate, spraying WD40 on the sticking plastic softened everything and I was able to wipe right off.

Lesson learned for sure! I could never hang another one of those on from my rear bumper, or from the receiver hitch because the exhaust pipe will be the way and either melt anything in front of it, or it might catch fire! So, ever since, I've simply not worried about it. I just have to wash the front of the trailer a bit more often. The mud flaps right behind the tires do a pretty good job, but not 100% for sure.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
We put Weatherguard on our F450
The place I bought them had other heavier ones but they advised against due to the weight and how fender liners attach.
Been happy so far.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm a do it yourself kind a guy. I went to a local truck and trailer store and got a couple of rubber mud flaps 16" X 20" and mounted my own down pretty low to keep stuff from flying up. The key on these kind of flaps is to make or buy "anti-sail brackets" that keep the flaps from just flying near straight back while up at road speed. Without them, your effective length is reduced and they don't keep much of anything from getting kicked up on your trailer. In fact I think a lot of the OEM flaps are just for show as they end up about 8" - 10" off the ground and let a lot of debris right on by. Sorry for the dirty truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01030.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	6170  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm a do it yourself kind a guy. I went to a local truck and trailer store and got a couple of rubber mud flaps 16" X 20" and mounted my own down pretty low to keep stuff from flying up. The key on these kind of flaps is to make or buy "anti-sail brackets" that keep the flaps from just flying near straight back while up at road speed. Without them, your effective length is reduced and they don't keep much of anything from getting kicked up on your trailer. In fact I think a lot of the OEM flaps are just for show as they end up about 8" - 10" off the ground and let a lot of debris right on by. Sorry for the dirty truck
I did what you did but I added the chrome metal bars that hold the flaps down to the bottom of the tire. This works better in the rainy timethat the water come off the bottom of the flap and out to the sides. When they hang loose they seem to let the rain go towards the back of the truck whne the flaps come up off the tire. Wasn't hard to do. Also my Dodge 3500 is all metal fenders so all I needed was some stainless steel self-tapping sheet metal screws. I haven't had and problems with them.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I also got the weather tech mud flaps for front and back (dually). They fit like a glove and keep most of the road grim off. Keep a good coat of wax on the front of the rig. Makes cleaning easier.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Look up GaterBack mud flaps, not cheap but they look good and are a solid design. You can put them on yourself if you are handy, although I recommend you look at the videos more than a few times. Ford actually sells them as a OEM style mud flap in their accessory. I think they look good on all three DRW brands.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 04-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have the Rock Tamers for my rig. I hunt regularly, so installed mud flaps get torn off all the time on National Forest roads, etc. Lost 2 different sets, including the Weather Techs. With the Rock Tamers, I can remove the whole setup easily when we are not pulling the rig. I usually lock them on the rear of our Monte, since it came with a hitch. Works great here.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
wecker1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20840
Weatherguard. Relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Simply provide year, make, and model of your truck and they'll provide the correct set for your vehicle.
wecker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the rock tamers on our full body paint Montana big sky. They are not 100 % but close , What they look like was not a consideration that they do the job was.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #14
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Those look good but be very careful backing up. If you catch the flap between the tire and a bump of some sort it’s gonna come off and, possibly damage the fender.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
Those look good but be very careful backing up. If you catch the flap between the tire and a bump of some sort it’s gonna come off and, possibly damage the fender.

That's why you use the anti-sail bars on the mud flaps. Keep them in the down position and they will not ride up on your tires unless you back up into something that is holding the flaps up against the tires. Had that happen with some garden hose was rapped up on the ground and it pushed the flaps into the tires. Stopped in time so I didn't do any damage to anything.
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used rock tamers on our old truck, but just use the stock mud flaps that came on our new Dodge. No difference in what gets to the rig as far as I can tell.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #17
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
That's why you use the anti-sail bars on the mud flaps. Keep them in the down position and they will not ride up on your tires unless you back up into something that is holding the flaps up against the tires. Had that happen with some garden hose was rapped up on the ground and it pushed the flaps into the tires. Stopped in time so I didn't do any damage to anything.
Yep they will hold the flaps down. I’ve seen more than my share of flaps and, anti sail bars taken out. Of course they were mostly commercial vehicles but, the same can happen to non commercial. That’s why I made the be careful statement.
I was thinking of doing something similar to mount in the receiver. I have enough free material available, I think I can do it cheaper than buying rock tamers.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
skidoomatt

M.O.C. #25940
I bought my new F350 last fall and used my Ford Pass point to buy the Ford Accessories gatorback flaps for the truck. They have a weighted bottom to help keep them from "flying" too much going down the road. I like these style over the plastic no drill flaps...just my preference though. I've only had it out in one camping trip, so I can't say how well they keep mud, rocks, etc. of the camper, but I think they will work well enough for me. I might have a different opinion whenever we decide to pull the trigger a new HC 385BR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1023-1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	6172  
Old 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
I have been pleased with the look and performance of my DuraFlaps. I went with the extra long front and rear. They are rigid so they don't fly up in the wind. And, made in USA.
https://duraflap.com/
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #20
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Here's my setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0828171303c1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	6173   Click image for larger version

Name:	0828171635a1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6174   Click image for larger version

Name:	08281716351.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	6175  
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote