Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Update!

It's HOT outside! But I love it. Temps reaching 90 (plus) in Louisiana now. The dog's aren't use to this weather at all. I guess coming from Indiana they are more acclimated to cold weather. They want to go outside so much, stand at the windows and bark at all the little critters outside and ramp and rave at ever noise they hear. But, when they step outside they immediately "potty" and turn around and want back inside! It's too hot for them I guess.

I've been doing house tours. Wearing my "outfit" sure is hot. I did learn that in the early 1800's there was no such thing as "short sleeved shirts". My shirt is long enough to use for a night gown. It goes clear below my knees and all of that material has to be tucked inside the pants. So, it's HOT wearing that thing.

Someone suggested simply rolling up sleaves, even though that would not have been done in 1821, it's better than wearing a contemporary plain shirt or sweating to death with the long sleaves. So I did and it was much better.

Found out, removing the undergarments helped a lot too! (oopes, maybe that was too much information for you all!) Did they wear actual "underware" back in the day? I really don't know! But I do know they had on several layers of material!

When not doing house tours, I had a couple flower beds I've taken personal responsibility for, so I water them daily now. And I'm building some Civil War style medical boxes. They wanted them customized for specific needs, but wanted them styled after the Civil War field medical boxes. So, this has been keeping me busy. I'm actually enjoying building the boxes, as they have a really, really nice industrial table saw I've been using and a bunch of shop tools... allowing me to keep using my carpentry skills. It's really fun doing this.

In addition, I still walk the property as much as I can and report issues, problems, trees with broken branches, and anything else of significance that might be a danger to visiting guests and tourists to the site.

Once I get those boxes done, I'll post some photos of them.

Unfortunately, they are loosing 2 of their employees. The lady on the cashier's register is moving to a different location, as she actually works for State Tourism division and not not the State Parks division. And the second is leaving the State Parks completely to take a new position with the National Parks system. Also, a 3rd "volunteer", who is very instrumental in helping to keep things going at this site is having surgery soon and will be unavailable for a few weeks. So, by the end of the month, the park will be down 3 people. (There's only 10 actual employees of the "state" working here, everyone else is volunteer). Three of those ten are maintenance, but the 3 they are loosing is really throwing a "crimp" on things.

Hint, Hint! I hear that other Louisiana State Historic Sites are having a "people" shortage also, volunteers and staff So, here's a great opportunity for someone if you are interested in this type of thing!

As far as I know though, Audubon is the only "historic site" to offers a free, full hook-up campsite. But there are still plenty of other State Parks that have conventional camp hosts too.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote