Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #21
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

It seems to me that the company would be smarter not to design them to fall right off:

#1 - Children get into things. This is a good way for someone to get seriously, seriously hurt if someone happens to be standing below the bedroom window. The company would get their pants sued off for this.

#2 - If they do fall right off, that means dangerous shattered glass on the ground, posing great danger to the person escaping for whatever reason they are escaping for. The last thing I need to do if I am trying to get away from a fire or an intruder is fall on the ground from that height right onto broken glass, or glass, period. The company would get their pants sued off for this too.

#3 - How many people probably open it to check something, see out better, clean, whatever? The window falling right off would damage the window and be costly to replace and cause great inconvenience. There'd be a lot of noise being made about it.

These and many other things that are easily prevented by hinges at the top that still allow easy escape but no falling glass (or glass to fall on).

If the really do just fall right off, I'd be seriously surprised, because that would be an incredibly stupid move on the part of keystone.
Now that I think about it, it sort of makes sense for it to come off. That way, it would be much simpler to get out of the hole in the wall, otherwise you would be fighting against the glass with it bouncing around on you. This would be a problem for each subsequent person exiting. As far as the broken glass being a hazard, not so much. It is tempered safety glass, so if it did break, it would be in about a million tiny little 1/8" squares. It's not like you would get skewered through the neck with a long, sharp shard of glass.

As Stiles mentioned, if you are using it to escape a real emergency, the window falling out and breaking would be the least of your worries.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The window falling out might be the least of your worries, but it might bother the Good Samaritan that ran over underneath the window to catch you! hahahaha
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #23
dnichol
Established Member

M.O.C. #8726
I have had both & I wouldn't pay extra for them. J.M.O.
dnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Our Big Sky came with the dual pane windows. As stated by others they have different openings than the single pane windows do. We were told the escape window over the desk has to be replaced if it`s opened. It can`t be put back in. The bedroom escape window I would need to check out further to see if it can be opened without losing the window itself. If it can be opened some we sure will do that for more fresh air. We would definitely get the dual pane windows again as they really keep it quiet inside.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just went out and checked our escape window, with our (SOB) we have a sliding mirror in front of our escape window, and all the other windows are dual pane except the ES window and when released it will fall out. We do have another window next to the escape window and its dual pane and can be opened. Never really though much about the escape window and if we have to use it I really want care were it goes, more than likely you will have had major damage. All our windows are frameless except the one's in each end of the super slides. It makes a sleek look when all slides are in because the slides close into the side of the coach nothing hangs out of the side of the 5th wheel. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #26
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When H. John Kohl and I replaced our windows at the rally we had to remove two small screws on the top of the windows, then swing window out to about 45 degrees and slide it off sideways. I swung mine as high as I could, limited only by the awning. It did not and would not "fall off" it did not and would not "drop to the ground". The windows have a slide off connection which is locked in place with the screws. If they fall off then they were not installed correctly. At least on the Montanas that rumor is BS and the salesman doesn't know what he is talking about, find another who does... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #27
hawkeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #3663
I have a 2003 with dual pane windows I have replaced 5 windows because I was unable to see out because of the seals leaking. I think dual pane windows are good for a house but not one on wheels.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What Dave said...
I had a Keystone Sprinter without them, and our Monte has them, I would not have another trailer without the insulated windows. Just sit on the couch (Super slide, surrounded by windows) in rainy 40 degree weather in a trailer with them and without them, you will notice the difference. Big difference.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
hawkeye,

How long before you had the first failure of a window? Did you replace with dual pane, or did you just put in single pane?

I am still leaning towards dual pane anyway. If I do opt for them and have failures down the road (bad pun intended), it is not such a big deal for me, as my best friend is in the glass business. I get all of my glass, tempering, double pane sealing, etc. at cost.

He even lets me use his CNC glass grooving machine that grooves and polishes those intricate patterns in glass that you see in the high dollar rigs. So I'll probably do some custom glass grooving, beveling, and carved etchings in the interior of the 5er.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #30
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Had singles in my MH and now duals in the Montana. They are warmer to sit next to and seem to cut back on CG noise. Use the day shades so tint wasn't a big issue. I have opened the BR escape and it didn't fall to the ground but it would benefit from the OZ mod. It is quite a drop and I wonder if one of those escape ladders might be a wise investment. No between glass fog yet but I haven't checked if they are sealed units. I have seen one unit (SOB)with after-market solar shading film on the inside. It appears a light bronze colour from the outside. I have no idea where it was bought or how it is applied but I am guessing it came from an automotive window tinting shop since I have seen a few cars with similar treated windows.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

.....I have opened the BR escape and it didn't fall to the ground but it would benefit from the OZ mod. It is quite a drop and I wonder if one of those escape ladders might be a wise investment.....
Funny you should bring that up! Just today I was looking at the picture on the brochure and thought to myself, "Damn, that escape window is a long way to the ground!" I am still spry enough to make it with no problem, but I doubt that my wife would be up to the task on her own. Definitely going to look into a ladder of some sort.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are several site on Escape ladders on the internet...do a google..Have also seen them at Wallmart and various hardware stores..However beware.They are made for a stick house and our campers do not have much of a window sill so it may be hard to attach them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #33
Shirleyshusband

M.O.C. #8732
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Tia, go with your BS detector, he is full of black tank juice. We have double panes on our Big Sky and love them. The rear big window has two small sliders that work very well for venting, the desk window is an escape hatch that has a slider and screen. The only one we had a problem with was the bedroom escape hatch, it didn't open other than to escape through, and IT DOES NOT FALL OUT! H. John Kohl and I remedied that situation by ordering what we call the "OZ MOD" since he was the first that we know of to post the same mod. We ordered the double pane escape slider from Kiren windows in Elkhart, they cost 164.95 I think and we had them in 3 days. The install couldn't be easier. Just check Oz's mods and there complete instructions. You don't have to remove the frame either, just two small screws and then slide the old one out and slide the new one on and replace the screws. Even the Keystone rep denied they had sliding double pane windows till I showed him the factory installed one over the desk... Dave

I did a couple searches without success. Do you have a link to where you purchased the modified opening exit window?

Shirleyshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #34
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Shirleyshusband,

Below is some info on the dual pane slider window for the bedroom. It is from the first page of this thread, Compliments of Exnavydiver.

Now, I can't find ozz's mods! Strange, I'm sure that they are somewhere around here.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

H. John Kohl and I remedied that situation by ordering what we call the "OZ MOD" since he was the first that we know of to post the same mod. We ordered the double pane escape slider from Kiren windows in Elkhart, they cost 164.95 I think and we had them in 3 days. The install couldn't be easier. Just check Oz's mods and there complete instructions. You don't have to remove the frame either, just two small screws and then slide the old one out and slide the new one on and replace the screws. Even the Keystone rep denied they had sliding double pane windows till I showed him the factory installed one over the desk... Dave
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #35
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Aha! Here it is.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=88b440a5.pbr

At least, I think this is what you were looking for.

The window company is is called Kinro, in Elkhart, IN., (not kiren, as Exnavydiver stated) It looks like they have places all over the country, and are based in Texas. I'm not sure if you can get the RV windows from all locations though.

http://www.kinro.com/vehicles.htm

I'm pretty sure that you can replace the hinged part of the new window without removing the entire outer window frame from the 5er, though.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #36
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This may help;

http://tiny.cc/Winder

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #37
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
LOL, sorry about the dyslexic typing, I don't always proof my typing. It is in fact Kinro and they are very helpful in acquiring the windows. The install only requires the removal of two screws, the sliding off of the old window and the sliding on of the new window... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #38
Shirleyshusband

M.O.C. #8732
Thanks for the help, I'm sure we'll be ordering one over the winter.
Shirleyshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #39
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Hey, KT, I met you at a campground in Memphis, pulling that beauty you bought in IN back to Oregon. Move out of that cold weather and worry about not having dual pane windows when you run the AC.

Ed
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #40
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Hey Ed!

I was just thinking about you the other day. After we left Memphis, we didn't have another night above freezing the whole rest of the trip home to Oregon, so, I really have no idea if the AC in my rig works or not!

It hasn't been much warmer here since we've been home either. At least we beat all of the nasty weather all the way back. Kind of wishing that we had wandered on down to the gulf with you Not possible though, as the wife had to get back to her business in the middle of her busy season.

Today, I did finally install the new emergency exit dual pane slider in the bedroom. It was a piece of cake and went off without a hitch.

Hope to see you somewhere out on the road again!

Note to others that might want to do the "ozz mod" to their bedroom window:

I do have one other detail to mention. Kinro closed down their plant in Elkhart at the end of December (which is where I got my window from) and consolidated with the one in Goshen, so anyone wanting to get one can probably still do so. I tried to call this afternoon, but was a little late, so they were closed for the day. Will try again tomorrow.