Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Rich,

Wow, what a list, but most of that stiff I expected to be excluded. Glad to hear that the coverage for the big stuff is there, if you spring for the Premium. Now I need to start getting the numbers. I remember a few months back your comments on what it cost you, and that shopping the price around is a good idea.

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
walt..Go to the Ford Site and look at the ESP plans.....You can purchase the plan at ANY Ford dealer in the country and you can shop for a good price start here http://fd-warranty.com/

Think I paid @ 2K for mine... Got the best online quote then went to my local dealer and said meet this price and we will write the check.....they did.....and I did..

Here is another one http://www.fordwarrantys.com/?source=adwords2
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Rich you might wont to read this it comes out of fordwarrentys.com
7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS AGREEMENT: Unless stated otherwise (See STATE
SPECIFIC provisions for additional exclusions or changes), this Agreement does NOT
cover:
a) Repairs covered by manufacturer recalls or any insurance or warranty;
b) Service adjustments and cleaning not made with a covered repair;
c) Repairs to any engine, transmission and final drive components for damages
caused by an after-market turbocharger or supercharger or other performance
enhancing powertrain components including but not limited to Ford racing parts or
accessories;
d) Repairs caused by loss of lubricants or fluids or contamination of oil, fluids or fuel
and repairs caused by continued operation of the vehicle after loss of lubricant or
fluids or contamination of oil, fluids or fuel;
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will go back tomorrow and ask them what that means???? the answer we got today was that contaminated fuel that you got a a fuel station that caused engine failure would be covered.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The above concerns depends a lot on your Dealer and how well he will fight for you. He simply is your agent and is the one that must represent you for warranty concerns. So far with mine and the mods, our Dealer has covered any problems with the truck; I had a bad modulator (motor) on the control for heater/air temp control; dash had to be removed and replaced to access that motor; tuner was sitting there on the left hand side of the dash, no questions asked about the tuner. Talked to my Fleet manager about the tuner and he said that if engine damage was evident and they feel it is related to the tuner then Ford will do a more thorough investigation. So if your Dealer and Ford work together you should have no warranty issues. I have seen where water in fuel with damage was covered and then with other smaller Dealers it was a no go, it's your tab. I think if I had a major issue when I was a long distance from home; i would have the truck frieghted back to my home Dealer; especially with the power train.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 09 F350 SRW crew long 4x4 king ranch averages 12 mpg empty at all speeds. Does not matter if it is 100% in town driving, combo town/highway driving, or all highway driving with the cruise set. This truck will average 12 mpg regardless of speed, load, terrain, fuel. I have rolled with the cruise at 65 mph empty and averaged 12.4 mpg. I have rolled with the cruise set at 80 mph and averaged 12.3 mpg. I love the King Ranch, but HATE this truck and the 6.4L. I've logged a tad over 33,000 miles in 12 months and the truck has been to the shop 19 times for issues related to the motor and exhaust system. I have yet to haul my coach, but have pulled loads at 10,000 lbs - truck averaged 9.2mpg. My old Duramax averaged 21/22mpg at 80 mph and pulling my 3400 across country and back averaged out at 11.4mpg. I have an order on HOLD for a new 2011 Silverado 3500DRW Duramax as of Wednesday evening - just waiting to hear back from GM on an official delivery date before I authorize transmittal of my order. I'm looking forward to unloading this hunk of junk (in my opinion).
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

My 09 F350 SRW crew long 4x4 king ranch averages 12 mpg empty at all speeds. Does not matter if it is 100% in town driving, combo town/highway driving, or all highway driving with the cruise set. This truck will average 12 mpg regardless of speed, load, terrain, fuel. I have rolled with the cruise at 65 mph empty and averaged 12.4 mpg. I have rolled with the cruise set at 80 mph and averaged 12.3 mpg. I love the King Ranch, but HATE this truck and the 6.4L. I've logged a tad over 33,000 miles in 12 months and the truck has been to the shop 19 times for issues related to the motor and exhaust system. I have yet to haul my coach, but have pulled loads at 10,000 lbs - truck averaged 9.2mpg. My old Duramax averaged 21/22mpg at 80 mph and pulling my 3400 across country and back averaged out at 11.4mpg. I have an order on HOLD for a new 2011 Silverado 3500DRW Duramax as of Wednesday evening - just waiting to hear back from GM on an official delivery date before I authorize transmittal of my order. I'm looking forward to unloading this hunk of junk (in my opinion).
Obviously there must be something wrong with your individual truck if you consistently get 12 mpg regardless of speed driven...I just can't see how the mechanics involved would provide for those results. By the way, hope you were never towing anything at 80 mph...that could be frightening for all concerned. Hope your next vehicle serves you better.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #28
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
On here, you can get any mileage you want. Reality might be a little different!! :-)
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..Your truck is the worst we have heard about. I would also dump it if Ford can not fix it. You milage sounds like my 05 V-10.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
8e3Ko....The above concerns depends a lot on your Dealer and how well he will fight for you.' You are so right. The dealer understands how the warranty process works and can submit the right words to Ford for repayment of the warranty. On big ticket repairs Ford will send a rep out to " authorize the repair so the dealer is out of the picture. The dealer is not, for example going to authorize the replacement of a motor on his own. Ford pays the dealer for warranty work and the dealer will be sure the repair and payment is authorized.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #31
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
As many people on the forum know, I'm not pleased with the overall performance of our 2008 350 dually. We have the 3.73 gear in ours and our mileage is like Daves. We get 8-9 mpg towing and 12-12.5 empty. Cruise set at 70 empty with cetane booster on a recent expressway trip empty was 12.5. Truck has been to many dealers and all say nothing is wrong. Truck is at the dealer right now for a noise they can't find. Start off from a traffic light two days ago and someone blew their horn. I looked back and there was pure white smoke pouring out the tailpipe. Looked like it was on fire. Dealer says they do that if they go into regen when you take off. (Normal)
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dennis... I have never seen white smoke or any other kind of smoke pouring out of our 08..
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The last time I was at my dealer they had the cab off of a 6.4 with the HPFP off and disassembled waiting for the Ford factory service rep to come to inspect it before Ford would authorize them to replace it. What he was looking for was rust or evidence of dirty fuel. If he found either, according to the diesel mechanic, Ford would not pay for the repair.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

As many people on the forum know, I'm not pleased with the overall performance of our 2008 350 dually. We have the 3.73 gear in ours and our mileage is like Daves. We get 8-9 mpg towing and 12-12.5 empty. Cruise set at 70 empty with cetane booster on a recent expressway trip empty was 12.5. Truck has been to many dealers and all say nothing is wrong. Truck is at the dealer right now for a noise they can't find. Start off from a traffic light two days ago and someone blew their horn. I looked back and there was pure white smoke pouring out the tailpipe. Looked like it was on fire. Dealer says they do that if they go into regen when you take off. (Normal)
I have also experienced the "white smoke" show on take off on two separate occasions. The odd thing is that the "smoke" did not seem to hang in the air very long before "disappearing." In both cases the message center stated the exhaust filter was being cleaned.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The white smoke is normal. Many of these trucks experience it. I think it has to do with humidity, and with a early model radiator. But anyway it is normal, and will not harm anything.It disappears quickly because it is water vapor.It happens only in regen.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-problems.html
I just found this over on one of the 6.4 Ford diesel sites. It is typical of the comments when someone has a HPFP go out. I monitor 6, 6.4 Ford diesel sites. This isn't just a ford problem. The high pressure pump on all of these trucks operate at up to 27000 psi.
Lynwood
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Rich, on fleet trucks and the large Dealers, the truck is repaired or replaced. Owners cannot and will not wait for a rep to fly in 2000 miles to approve a $25,000 engine job, this is done by photos and over the phone. A lot of trucks up here in the oil patch and they are used hard in temps from -50F to 80F 24 hours a day. A Ford warranty rep would be up here full time. I am really surprised that someone has to wait until a rep comes in to say yes or no on the repair. If that is the case they give you a loaner so that you do not experience down time. On my heater/ AC repair I was offered another vehicle because my truck was held over night to complete repairs. A good Dealer has a lot of pull and authority in getting things done, why would they so no to Dealer that moves one of the highest volumes of Super Duties .
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct. At the large dealer we purchased from the Ford Warranty rep is there every Tuesday and can be there if needed in a short time. This is only done on big $$ items. Any warranty issue we ever had on any brand truck/Auto was approved by the dealer. These dealers are not stupid on warranty issues but they will be sure that Ford will pay them on big $$ repairs before they do so.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 AM   #39
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I thought white smoke indicated a new Pope had been elected? I never knew Fords were Catholic!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #40
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I thought white smoke indicated a new Pope had been elected? I never knew Fords were Catholic!
Fords are definitely a righteous vehicle.