Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2023, 10:59 PM   #21
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Screaming noises - Schwintek Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Don't know where to start. No your slide shouldn't make screaming noises. This is typically a sign that something isn't right. Mine made an unusual noise when we purchased it. It failed within 2 trips. The 2 biggest problems that these rigs face is the dreaded Schwintek failure and frame flex. There are threads upon threads here talking about both.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=87469

I just returned from a weekend camping trip and was going to report my experience. Guess I'll do it here. As many of you know I went through the catastrophic Schwintek failure scenario and had to have the entire bedroom slide removed and rebuilt. Putting aside the fact that the room is too big for a Schwintek, I have confirmed another important point. Upon arrival the the site I checked the side to side grade and I was 2 degrees listing on the bedroom side. I decided to auto level just to see what would happen. Sure enough the first message was "relieving twist" Once the unit was level I started to extend the bedroom and immediately saw it begin to rack to one side. I stopped and retracted the slide. Connected the truck and rolled the bedroom (downhill side) on a double stack of leggos. Checked the grade again and I was at a .2% list. When I re-leveled it didn't read "relieving twist" and auto level worked perfectly.

So to recap, always check the grade prior to unhooking and leveling If you exceed 1% then roll up on some blocks to keep the frame from twisting and killing Schwintek

As far as you screaming slide, I'd have it looked at.
Check out the VROOM Slide. They are in Tucson.

azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:52 AM   #22
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeagleye View Post
Check out the VROOM Slide. They are in Tucson.

Impressive! Let's go Keystone! Do it!
https://www.google.com/search?q=vroo...id:bTH3kIByLYM
Old 02-20-2023, 07:28 PM   #23
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Impressive! Let's go Keystone! Do it!
https://www.google.com/search?q=vroo...id:bTH3kIByLYM
Extremely impressive!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:22 PM   #24
Lindseylew

M.O.C. #32848
Unhappy Slide outs

Hi. We have a 2022 Montana High Country 295RL and are having slide trouble. We have taken it back to the shop 3 times now. The first time all slides except bedroom were off kilter. They said they fixed the problem but, the dining table slide is still a problem. The pin breaks and the gears get shaved off by the slide jumping off the track. The second time they said they fixed it, but then when we took it out the slide on the kitchen table side did the same thing. We took it back to same shop and they said it cost $4000. to fix the problem. Our extended warranty would not cover the problem even though the Montana dealer where we purchased the unit told us we would be covered for everything. The company has now changed hands and they new co. said they would pay the $4000. Now we have it in the shop for the 3rd time and they say the warranty will not cover it and are talking to Keystone to try to get the problem resolved. The RV has been in the shop 2 months now. I am very disappointed in Keystone for not fixing it right in the first place, or selling the unit to us with a problem. Thanks for letting me vent.
Lindseylew is offline   Reply With Quote