Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I dodged another bullet today!

Last Friday, after I got finished with that flooring in the slide, we decided to sleep in the Montana. I had the heat running all week as I was working out there so decided that the bed mattress should be warmed up really good again and everything up to snuff. So we did.

However, when the wife started coming out to the trailer from the house, it was already dark. Now we live in the country and it's DARK where we live. So, I went on out to the trailer and flipped on ALL the outside lights. All my light switches are in one panel.

Well, about the time we decided to go to bed, I figured I probably should turn off all those outside lights. We had been in the bedroom (rear end of the trailer). When I went forward, I heard it .... the water pump! No biggie, I've left the pump on many times with no water. I know it won't hurt it.

But, when I opened the cabinet door for the light switches, I realized immediately ... OMG! I also flipped on the electric and the gas for the water heater! My heart skipped a beat because we're completely winterized and the water heater is completely empty. In fact, earlier on Friday I purchased a new anode rod and put it in.

Well, I calmed down and remembered I flipped the outside on-off switch right on the water heater, so the electric was off (Thank the good Lord above for double switches and a brain to use them). But I had no hope for the gas. I went outside and put my hand on the water heater and it was warm. That meant, the gas did fire, and it did get hot. BUT.....

I had a misfortune in my previous camper (Outback travel trailer). I flipped on the gas and electric with an empty tank and I ended up burning out electric heating element immediately and the gas thermostat burned out. I had my dealer fix it all. Too much was wrong, I couldn't figure it out.

Now, the problem with the Monte is, the water heater is in a cabinet, UNDER the washing machine. There is no way to access it, except from the top and that means removing the washing machine. The only other alternative is to bust through all the reinforcement I built for that cabinet to support the washing machine. I was sinking in my shoes real fast.

I opened the door of the trailer to hear if the water heater gas was firing. No. nothing. I flipped the switch on and off a couple times. No, nothing. I went to bed with a real sinking feeling. Oh yuck.

Well, that was 2 nights ago. We spent Saturday and Sunday night in the camper, and this morning I though, I'd try the gas on the water heater again. The red light on the switch panel lit up indicating it was attempting to fire ... good so far. I jumped outside and I could hear the, "click, click, click" in the water heater and then it FIRED!!!! I then ran back inside and shut the thing off.

I dodged a bullet. Nothing got burned up this time. I now have a piece of tape over that switch until water is filled once again in the tank.

So... I dodged a bullet. That's my latest story.

How about anyone else? Want to share a story where YOU dodged a bullet?

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Bullet I Dodged

Recent California storm caused alot if trees to come down. On Jan 8, 2023 a tree fell onto our Montana. Very lucky, only damage was cracked A/C shroud. Roof material was scuffed but no holes. Had re-coated roof with Dicor 6 months ago. Going to re-coat scuffs when it gets warmer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230108_075341.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	14065  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Recent California storm caused alot if trees to come down. On Jan 8, 2023 a tree fell onto our Montana. Very lucky, only damage was cracked A/C shroud. Roof material was scuffed but no holes. Had re-coated roof with Dicor 6 months ago. Going to re-coat scuffs when it gets warmer.
Wow that’s close.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I love reading stories like these because it makes me realize that stuff doesn’t just happen to me!
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
...On Jan 8, 2023 a tree fell onto our Montana. ....
Wow! That's impressive! Scarry as can be, but dang impressive! That's a bullet dodger for sure!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:11 PM   #6
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Bullet I Dodged

Edit Sorry for the double post.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #7
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
May be in bad taste but…

I dodged a bullet by not being on the set of Rust with Alec Baldwin
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:05 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master