Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Jeilering
Established Member

M.O.C. #509
How do you restring a day/nite window shade

After two years of fulltime use we are starting to experience some problems with our day/nite window shades, mainly a broken string. Has anyone ever taken the challenge to restring a window blind and if so how is it done...

Jeilering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
There was a thread on this a while back. Try going through the search mode referencing day/night shades.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Dogman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #182
We've had to replace several of them. The most difficult one for us is the big one covering the rear window and we've had to do that one twice in the past 2 years. We just did it about a month ago and already we're seeing signs of cord fraying. We have now installed a regular pull down room darkening shade on the rear window over the day/nite shade.
The problem with these day/nite shades (as I see it) is the little plastic bushings(?) they use on the metal strips where the strings run through. The motion of the strings back and forth as the shade is pulled up or down causes a groove to wear in the plastic bushings. The groove edges become sharp and untimately causes the string to fray. Once the outer string covering breaks down it jams in the holes and prevents the shade from being raised of lowered. The only way to fix it is to replace the string.
The string can be purchased at any shade repair place (check the yellow pages)and I've found it also at Walmart. It's a 1mm shade cord.
Take the shade down and lay it flat on the floor. You have to slide the shade out of the top, middle and bottom metal rails. Do it carefully and pay attention to how the strings are run. It's simply a matter of cutting the old strings and replacing with new ones but it does take some time and you must be sure to see how the strings are run before you remove them. Before you run the new strings turn the plastic bushings 180 degrees so you have a new surface for the stings to run on. When you see them you'll understand what I'm talking about. Just take your time and pay attention to what your doing and you should be ok.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If I remember correctly, you take it to Eric andlet him do it! See the other thread.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cliff & Marlene, thank you very much for this information. We just broke our first shade string and I am not looking forward to restringing it. At least it is the smallest shade in the place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Jim & Jean

Hi guys if you will give me your e-mail address I have 2 diagrams on how to string the day.night shades.Some guy gave these to me,can`t remeber who or where but I do have them saved.It would probably make it a lot easier to do.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just emailed you with my email address. Thanks a million!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote