Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
The Reycrofts
Established Member

M.O.C. #26229
Cable Slides

We purchased a 294RL HC from CWorld. Ordered at the Hershey show in September, Delivered to us due to Covid 19 in NY in May (its a long story)

She was delivered with several issues, and all were noted on the delivery drivers report.

we have repaired many of the issues and what we couldn't fix went into to a Certified Keystone repair Center for Warranted repair. Broken door, faulty toilet valve, Broken Solar charger, no remote switch for inverter(does not come with unit which is installed in the middle of the garage) Slides don't go out all the way. I suppose we should have refused delivery, but were assured all would be fixed.

1 big issue which I don't seem to be getting a good answer on is the slides. Only one of the 3 slides goes out all the way to the wall, and we are being told the other two, are correct as they are. The kitchen slide is on an angle, and while I think the cable is beginning to fray, I am told it is normal. The bottom of the slide is a full 3 inches from the wall on one side, and maybe 1 on the other. The bedroom slide is also not sitting against the wall. I feel the unit may have been moved by the dealer with the slides open.

Thought and opinions on the slides.

The Reycrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
All 3 of our cable slides slide all the way in and out with no frayed cables. To me that would be normal. Crooked slides and frayed cables are absolutely not normal. It's possible that it's just an adjustment issue but it could also be an alignment issue with pulleys, or other components, installed incorrectly.

Keystone will always direct you to a dealer or certified service provider but, to me, it doesn't hurt to document the issues with pictures, adding statements from the service provider, and contact Keystone to see if you can get their opinion.

If your current service provider is telling you that abnormal things are normal then I'd find a different one. JMHO
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
FreeRoamn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19387
Your unit is new and under warranty and it sounds like you are not getting your issues resolved. The slide out misalignment is not right. I would document how you got to where you are at with your issues including the response or lack or response from your dealer. Send this to:

MISTY MARTIN
CUSTOMER SUPPORT MANAGER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2642 Hackberry Drive | P.O. Box 2000 | Goshen, IN | 46527-2000
O: 866-425-4369 | E: martm@keystonerv.com

Hope this helps, Keith
Old 07-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Misalignment, uneven gaps, frayed cables - all are problems that need to be corrected. If you have frayed cables they should be replaced after the reason for them is determined and corrected. Any dealer that tells you that it's normal doesn't need to be repairing them.

As has been mentioned, document everything with notations, pictures, dates etc. Good luck on getting your issues resolved.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reycrofts View Post
We purchased a 294RL HC from CWorld. .
and yet another CW horror story
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
The Reycrofts
Established Member

M.O.C. #26229
Thank you. I believe we will bring the unit to a different repair center and fight for the reimbursement. I have a center we hae used for years but they are nit a keystone approved center
Old 07-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
The Reycrofts
Established Member

M.O.C. #26229
Thank you. I believe we will take it to our regular repair center and work the warrantee issues With keystone
Old 07-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
The Reycrofts
Established Member

M.O.C. #26229
We have purchased 2 other units from cw without issue. Harrisburg needs help. Paperwork is not done correctly either
Old 07-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reycrofts View Post
We have purchased 2 other units from cw without issue. Harrisburg needs help. Paperwork is not done correctly either
Yes, CW is a favorite whipping post for some but I've dealt with several of them and I've not had issues....with CW, the company. Bad techs, ignorant service advisors, poor GMs? Yep. You've gotta either figure out how to work with them, work on them, get them removed etc. In fact, CW if far more responsive than an individually owned dealership I've worked with; they have a chain of command. If the individual that owns a dealership is junk, the service is junk, their willingness to back you is junk and.....you just hit the top of the ladder. And, all CWs are not alike or equal. You need to know what you're putting your foot into before going headlong into something...ask questions; double check what they say/do; make sure your expectations are known up front. Poor/inaccurate paperwork/documentation from a dealer is a sure fire way to have a warranty claim denied. Just a few observations of many years of trying to "get my way".
Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Slides should travel all the way in and out, period. I have one slide with a frayed cable but it still operates correctly.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
SJ294
Established Member

M.O.C. #24815
I had the same issue with cables on our 294RL, dealership took care of it. Took less than 1 hour to fix. There comment was that it was definitely a poor installation at the factory. Cables should be taunt not loose according to dealership. Another issue on your 294RL, I would keep a close eye on is the underbelly's. They install a fabric filter cloth that after 5 months has torn. Factory says to just tape it up with Darco tape. They sent 20 feet to me and it tore after 3 open/close.
SJ294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Don't use the Darco/Flex Mend/Scrim tape on the bottom of the slides in my experience if they are cable systems using a wear bar. They did that to mine a few years back and caused me all kinds of trouble after the wear bar caught it and began rolling it up under the slide, catching between the wear bar and remaining Darco etc. It was a real pain to remove and TRY to fix it.

Darco is not the proper product for the bottom of a cable slide. It cannot hold up to the "wear" from the wear bar over time; had that conversation again today with Keystone. I knew it and bought another one anyway
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #13
SJ294
Established Member

M.O.C. #24815
Thanks for the info. I spoke with another fellow RVer, he removed what was left of the scrim and painted the OSB board with black waterproof foundation paint. Seems like that might work. Im worried about the OSB swelling up from moisture and rotting out. Not a good situation on a 8 month old RV.
SJ294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #14
2thatwonder

M.O.C. #24294
Nothing goes well when you purchase from C World. Trust me. I know from experience!
2thatwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
2thatwonder

M.O.C. #24294
Don’t go to C world for warranty work. Call Keystone and get a nam through them! I’ve been there!!!
2thatwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Slides should travel all the way in and out, period. I have one slide with a frayed cable but it still operates correctly.
If you have a frayed cable, it is about to break. You need to get it fixed ASAP. Either way it won’t be cheap.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
Rubbing a bar of soap onto the fabric under the slides will let it slide over the wear bar easier. Also works good to keep the slide from jerking. And seems to last a long time.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote