Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
katdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26255
We were on a cross North America tour and had to replace tires in Nova Scotia. Just went with what was available. After New Foundland and down the coast we were loosing air in another tire. Finally decided in Bristol Tennessee that we needed to bite the bullet and get G rated all around. Best decision ever made. Haven't had to add air in the 4 years we have had them. They roll better and we get better fuel mileage also. Never go with anything less!

katdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Search for failures. I’ve only seen one the owner questions if the tire or road hazard on the Sailun, Goodyear is another story.
I’ll pay for safety and convenience, Sailun Winston both plus price.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #23
Inspector0128
Established Member

M.O.C. #25705
I can tell you about OEM Rainer tires on our new 294 High Country. Purchased unit in Phoenix and headed North to WI. Didn’t make it to Iowa-blew a tire.

Rainer did refund us $114.00 under warranty. Always fun to change a tire on I35. The new spare was almost 1.7 years old by the date code.

Five new Sailuns on the trailer. Approx $158.00 each through Walmart and $20.00 each to have them mounted..

Best tool I ever bought was a 20 volt impact gun-priceless on the side of the road.
Inspector0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #24
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Saliuns are the way to go. i put them on my HC last summer. Bought them through Walmart (believe it or not). Found an absolutely stupid price on them. Here is the link for today's price. https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...peahead=saliun. Try putting them in your cart and let it sit for a few days. I did and the price dropped. I had the tires in 2 days and they were shipped by Simpletire in Ohio. I checked their price for the tires and they were 50% more than buying them through Walmart. They were also very fresh tires. Checking the manufacture dates, the tires were all about 3 months old. that is about as new as you get. Not sure why they sell direct to people for more money than they sell through a second party (Walmart). Go figure
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just gives you an idea of how much markup Simpletire is adding to the price.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #26
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Sailuns are known to be good. I wouldn't be willing to try an unknown. Perhaps that's the tire they had in stock? I always balance my FW tires. My guy had difficulty with weights, so I went with the beads. Third season, no issues.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #27
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Sailuns are known to be good. I wouldn't be willing to try an unknown. Perhaps that's the tire they had in stock? I always balance my FW tires. My guy had difficulty with weights, so I went with the beads. Third season, no issues.

I had the same situation trying to get my trailer tires balanced and the beads were suggested; and I used them. Worked good for the balancing. After the 1st year every time I pulled my TST sensors to check pressure before departing some stems would stick open and require multiple "pushes" to make the airflow stop. There seemed to always be some sort of sand granules in the stem which I blamed on the beach sand here in FL. Replaced all stems - it continued. Started thinking about the beads. Pulled the a tire and "beads" become sand. Went back to finding folks that can balance them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #28
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, after only 6 months of Montana ownership, this happened somewhere in Tennessee on or way from Indiana to South Carolina:

I did have the spare and road-side service took care of us. But I now had absolutely no faith in the remaining 3 tires, plus the spare. These were the original factory installed tires.

Once we reached our destination (South of Charlotte, NC), I went on the search for tire replacement. Unbelievable, in our location, the ONLY place we could find that had trailer tires was a Commercial Semi-Truck tire shop that serviced tires on Semi's. So, we broke camp and after a LOT of questions, we ended up with 4 new commercial Semi-Truck trailer tires on our Montana. And the price was quite handsome too! They weren't cheap....

After over a year of travel now, and a LOT of miles, they have not lost one pound of air since they were installed, even over the course of a winter and not moving. The tread is about a half inch deep, and every time I look at them, I'm still amazed.

What are they? Herculies. I'd never heard of them. but if they are made for usage in heavy commercial transportation, they must be good. No issue with these.

Where you'd find more of these? I have no idea. All I know is, they are really good tires.

This is all the information that is actually engraved on the tires:

Trailer Tires
Hercules H-901
All Steel Radial
DOT 1YC 2ARHHE
Made in Thailand
Regroovable
All Steel
ST235/80RR16
128/124L
Rim 6.50
Tubeless

*Tire failure due to underinflation / overloading or misapplication – follow tire placard instructions in vehicle
Check inflation pressure frequently with an accurate guage
*Explosion of tire / rim assembly due to improper mounting – only specially trained persons should mount tires
When mounting use safety cage and clip-on extension air hose to inflate

L.R.G
14PR
Plies: Tread Steel 4 sidewall steel 1
Max. load single 3970 LBS (1800 kg) at 105 PSI (725 KPC) Cold
Max. load dual 3525 LBS (1600 kg) at 105 PSI (725 KPC) Cold

Brand lightly here.

I keep the aired up at 80 PSI. The guys who installed them said that was the max for my trailer rims.

After more than a year of towing, I have no signs of tread wear.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #29
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Well, after only 6 months of Montana ownership, this happened somewhere in Tennessee on or way from Indiana to South Carolina:

I did have the spare and road-side service took care of us. But I now had absolutely no faith in the remaining 3 tires, plus the spare. These were the original factory installed tires.

Once we reached our destination (South of Charlotte, NC), I went on the search for tire replacement. Unbelievable, in our location, the ONLY place we could find that had trailer tires was a Commercial Semi-Truck tire shop that serviced tires on Semi's. So, we broke camp and after a LOT of questions, we ended up with 4 new commercial Semi-Truck trailer tires on our Montana. And the price was quite handsome too! They weren't cheap....

After over a year of travel now, and a LOT of miles, they have not lost one pound of air since they were installed, even over the course of a winter and not moving. The tread is about a half inch deep, and every time I look at them, I'm still amazed.

What are they? Herculies. I'd never heard of them. but if they are made for usage in heavy commercial transportation, they must be good. No issue with these.

Where you'd find more of these? I have no idea. All I know is, they are really good tires.

Trailer Tires
Hercules H-901
All Steel Radial
DOT 1YC 2ARHHE
Made in Thailand
Regroovable
All Steel
ST235/80RR16
128/124L
Rim 6.50
Tubeless

*Tire failure due to underinflation / overloading or misapplication – follow tire placard instructions in vehicle
*Explosion of tire / rim assembly due to improper mounting – only specially trained persons should mount tires

L.R.G
14PR

Brand lightly here.

I keep the aired up at 80 PSI. The guys who installed them said that was the max for my trailer rims.

Dutch what was the brand of tire on your trailer as OE as a matter of curiosity.

As far as Hercules, I've seen that name on lots of signs of independent tire stores but have no experience with them.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #30
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
You can order the Sailuns online from Walmart, get them shipped to you free. Make an appointment at your local Walmart store (or Sams Club) to mount, balance and install the correct high pressure valve stems for 110psi rated rim/tires. My store charged $30 each for the install and also gave me a road hazard warranty. Only issue was I had to take the tires to them to mount, etc. and also I had to put them on my 347 THT. I prefer to be the only person mounting my tires after seeing several sheared lug bolts (I think) from over torqued lugs.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #31
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I had my Sailuns balanced when installed. Being so heavy, about 60 lbs a tire, they took between 12 and 14 oz of weights. They used a combination of clip on and sticker weights. I didn't like the idea of beads. I figured the worst would be a tire could throw a weight and you would have to replace it.
18K/20K Pull Rite slider using Ford Factory puck system
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #32
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by greische View Post
I had my Sailuns balanced when installed. Being so heavy, about 60 lbs a tire, they took between 12 and 14 oz of weights. They used a combination of clip on and sticker weights. I didn't like the idea of beads. I figured the worst would be a tire could throw a weight and you would have to replace it.
That sure sounds like too much weight! Did yu have them do a "lug centric" balance (where they use an adapter that mounts through the bolt holes) or the more common "hub centric" method (standard for autos)??? The aluminum wheels in these rigs have hubs which are not perfectly centered. The usual sign of a "hub centric" balance job is excessive weights. Worse, they are not balanced when mounted on the drum.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #33
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Dutch what was the brand of tire on your trailer as OE as a matter of curiosity.

As far as Hercules, I've seen that name on lots of signs of independent tire stores but have no experience with them.
They were "Ranier"

I did not swap out my spare tire, I left it original. I just crawled under the trailer and got some photos of the original tire. These were the original from the factory. Very disappointing that Keystone puts these on brand new trailers. It's a costly experience for the un-aware victim.

I just found this on their web site. At lest they admit they are from China:

"The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. We own the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally. As for the speed rating, they are indeed 65mph."

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Ranier...4DC779E1866831
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #34
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
That sure sounds like too much weight! Did yu have them do a "lug centric" balance (where they use an adapter that mounts through the bolt holes) or the more common "hub centric" method (standard for autos)??? The aluminum wheels in these rigs have hubs which are not perfectly centered. The usual sign of a "hub centric" balance job is excessive weights. Worse, they are not balanced when mounted on the drum.

I agree. Your tires could very well be as much out of balance as you have weights on them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #35
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
FWIW - I just replaced my OEM Rainier tires with Sailuns. I did move up from F Tires to G Tires. Still, the Sailuns weighed 14 lbs more per tire than the Rainiers. That should say something.

I just had my first trip with the Sailuns...so far I'm impressed.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #36
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
They were "Ranier"

I did not swap out my spare tire, I left it original. I just crawled under the trailer and got some photos of the original tire. These were the original from the factory. Very disappointing that Keystone puts these on brand new trailers. It's a costly experience for the un-aware victim.

I just found this on their web site. At lest they admit they are from China:

"The Rainier tire is a tire specific to Tredit, manufactured by a company called Wanda in China. We own the rights to the mold, so anyone with a Rainier tire got it from Tredit originally. As for the speed rating, they are indeed 65mph."

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Ranier...4DC779E1866831

Thanks. That's exactly what I had pulled off this trailer before I took it off the lot.

On another note and correct me if I'm wrong. Did I understand your previous post to say that they inflated the new tires to 80psi because that is all the wheel would allow? I would think that is incorrect.

If I interpreted everything correctly you replaced the defective Raniers with like Hercules tires rated for 105psi? I'm thinking Keystone didn't put 105psi tires on a 80psi wheel....but could be wrong. I haven't pulled a load chart for your tires and I don't know the weight of your trailer but that might warrant a look. You may want to run at 105. I went from LRF to LRG upon purchase of this trailer and run them at 110psi. You can look on the back of the wheel (hopefully) and it will give you the max psi or lbs. or both to double check.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #37
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On another note and correct me if I'm wrong. Did I understand your previous post to say that they inflated the new tires to 80psi because that is all the wheel would allow? I would think that is incorrect.
Yeah, that's what he said but something doesn't add up. My HC came with F rated tires on rims rated at 110psi. He either got incorrect rims from Keystone or the tire tech didn't know his stuff. I'm guessing the latter since the rims are 8-lug. There's no way they max out at 80psi

My F rated Rainiers had a 95psi rating, which is where I ran them until I got my Sailuns...now at 105psi (max 110psi)
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #38
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:

Trailer Tires
Hercules H-901
All Steel Radial
DOT 1YC 2ARHHE
Made in Thailand
Regroovable
All Steel
ST235/80RR16
128/124L
Rim 6.50
Tubeless

L.R.G
14PR

Brand lightly here.

Look at your certification label. At 80 PSI those LRF tires provide 3420/3520# of load capacity, more than just adequate for 6000# certified axles.

Your vehicle certification label, located on the RH forward external section of the trailer will list the minimum tire designated size and their recommended cold inflation pressures. Keystone cannot set recommended cold inflation pressures above 80 PSI if your wheels are not rated for the increased PSI.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/

Did you discover the cause of the failure?
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #39
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I think I would let someone else test them out on their camper. Using tires on a trailer around town on short trips is a lot different than on a camper on the interstate at 70 miles per hour in Montana. I like gambling when the odds are in my favor. I’ll let someone else gamble with a $200 tire on a $80,000 camper.
Lynwood
Our 3820 FK came with Sailuns and so far I have about 15000 trouble free miles with them over three years.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #40
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
I just had the same factory Rainiers fail as well. Right about the one year mark. Mine is a 2020 HC 331rl, and the wheels are rated for 110psi.

Question regarding the balancing mentioned above. My new Sailuns were road force balanced on a newer hunter road force machine. They used the cone to balance it, but said that machine will still balance them out correctly. I think the machines have some type of centering check system.

One tire needed almost no weight, one took a bit more and two took quite a bit, to balance out.

Anyone with experience know more about this?
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote