Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Winterizing issue....

So it was a warmish day today, bit of drizzle but a good day I thought to winterize the Monty as we aren't leaving for Florida until November likely ...

So as I have in the past couple of years, drained the hot water tank, low point drains opened, opened valves in bedroom closet to let the system drain.

Closed all the valves I opened, followed the normal process, hooked up hose to jug of RV anti freeze, switch valve to by-pass, switched valve to winterize, went in turned on pump, it picked up but didn't shut off after building pressure.

Went outside and all the pink was running out the water heater drain hole...

So did some checking, changed out the by pass valve as thought perhaps it was passing (cheap plastic crap).

Started pump again and for the second time it pumped all the pink out on the ground...

So I suspect now that perhaps a check valve isn't holding somewhere but no sure where they put the dang things and how easy they are to get at.

Anyone have to change one ? Are they right at the tank.. ?

We have a 2015 3790RD but I suspect they are all pretty much the same... I've given up for the day as I need a beer or two or 4....

speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you have the water heater bypass valve turned properly, and it’s still not keeping pink stuff out of the tank, then it’s likely the check valve on the back of the water heater. This looks like a normal pipe nipple, but it has a check valve inside of it. It will be on the upper part of the water heater, where the hot water leaves the tank. We can access ours by removing the plastic panel behind the convenience center, a bit of a reach but can be done. You will need to disconnect the hose fitting, then will need a pipe wrench and some muscle to get it to unscrew. Going back with a new one, pipe dope or Teflon tape will be needed on the threads of the check valve that screws into the tank, and being a tapered pipe thread, you need to get it pretty tight. Be sure the arrow on the check valve points away from the tank when it is installed. You might want to use a new gasket in the fitting that attaches to the check valve. Once all that is done, you should pressurize the system to make sure it’s not leaking.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Thanks.... I had the panel off as I changed out the by-pass valve (cheap plastic and figured it might have been passing.) just looked and I can see the hot water tank however the furnace is in between the convenience center and the hwt... no way of reaching that far back from the storage area. I'll have to go searching through cupboard panels in the morning..........sigh... thanks for confirming what I figured the issue is... which I knew if it was a ball check as tapping it might loosen it up...
Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have a washer you need to run the pink stuff thru it also. The pump area will hold some water and crack the housing, you know how I know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Thanks.... I had the panel off as I changed out the by-pass valve (cheap plastic and figured it might have been passing.) just looked and I can see the hot water tank however the furnace is in between the convenience center and the hwt... no way of reaching that far back from the storage area. I'll have to go searching through cupboard panels in the morning..........sigh... thanks for confirming what I figured the issue is... which I knew if it was a ball check as tapping it might loosen it up...
Those check valves are spring loaded, no ball inside.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Ya I pulled off a panel wall under the front counter/cupboard area in the kitchen this morning and found the hot water tank. Used a 11/16 inch deep socket on an impact gun to take it out of the end of the tank. You are so right it is a piece of crap check valve, cheap plastic sealing surface. Went to the local plumbing supply company and purchased a new high quality check valve, screwed two short brass nipples into each end and reinstalled.. Had the trailer winterized about 10 minutes later... They sure do buy cheap crap products when sourcing their parts........ 15 yrs ago it was not the issue as we have now with these newer units... They look pretty but the parts they source are cheap Chinese CRAP....... Hence it is a constant source of keeping this retired guy busy doing maintenance anymore.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
RVDH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21148
Don't forget the ice maker!
RVDH is offline   Reply With Quote