Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

Can you imagine a 65 year old machine that weighs 900,000 pounds that produces 5100 horse power that will run 110 miles per hour. That is our 611 steam locomotive. It was designed and built right here in Roanoke Va.
I know there are some RR bufs here that might like to take an excursion trip on Her. The trips will begin in mid April and go through May. If you are interested Google 611 locomotive. If you are through here down I81 She can bee seen at the Transportation Museum in Roanoke.
It really is a beautiful speak machine and I will be waiting to here Her come steaming up the valley just like I remember when I was a boy when my father would take us on the back of out property to watch them go by on a Sunday afternoon. I will be watching from the same place I did all though years ago.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Neat to see old steam stuff fixed up and running again. They ruled the world for quite some time. I have only been on one that operates out of Vancouver British Columbia. How fast do they actually go in the excursions?

Tom Marty
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Neat! I love those old locomotives!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These engines were designed to pull a passenger train up these mountains at speed and make up any lost time on flat land. It set in a city park for decades then rebuilt for a cost, I think of about a million dollars. It is capable of pulling a passenger train at 110 mph but I don't think they pull at much over 40 mph. Much higher speeds than that would be like running through the Cody Wy museum.
Lynwood
Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I love those old trains. Only steamer I have ridden is the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in Colorado/New Mexico. A great all day trip. There is another steam locomotive in east Texas with regular trips thru the piney woods. But I have not made that one...yet.

Looking forward to the completion of the http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/ located in the town of Frisco, TX only about 20 miles away from me. They have accumulated quite a bit of rolling stock, including one of the last remaining Big Boys, and are significantly expanding their museum.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Looking forward to seeing the Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 running again. World's largest steam locomotive. UP crews are working hard on her in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just looked up the Big Boy. What a machine 1.2 million pounds. It would use 25,000 gallons of water, burn 28 tons of coal in 27 miles. Yes 27 miles. That is worse than my 08 Ford at 80 miles per hour and the Big Boy would run 80 miles per hour WOW.
We haft preserve some of this stuff. It can't be reproduced. Some things just get lost and the people to do this are gone. Once this stuff is gone it's GONE.
Lynwood
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Yes it is amazing! The Union Pacific posted a while back that they are studying all of their routes and trackage to see where they can run the Big Boy due to it's weight and the need for broad curves for it's wheel base. Will be great seeing it rock the rails once again. My Son works for the U.P. in Wyoming.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
The 611 represents some of the finest in steam locomotive engineering. I just missed seeing her many years ago in Bellevue, Ohio. Now that she's being fully restored presents another opportunity to see her ate her best.
As for the UP 4014......fantastic. I have a good friend who is one of the "Young Guns of Steam" in the US. He's the Chief Mechanical Officer at the Heber Valley Railroad in Heber City, UT. He's been assisting the UP guys on the 40214, AND has been contacted by the T-1 Trust, ( https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/ ) a group who is moving forward on building a brand new PRR T-1, from scratch! These are exciting times for steam locomotive preservation. Now, if we could only get the PRR K4, 1361, back together
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote