Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
3400rl fireplace

A friend of mine has a 3400rl and camping this weekend left on the fireplace switch for heat. And left it on and came back and the switch is frozen in position and he can't get any heat to come out. Not sure. About the fire flames and control if they work my question is is there at thermocouple or element that might have gone bad he doesn't have any paperwork on his his model year is a 2009

okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe I would pull the fireplace out and do a complete inspection of the wiring and every connection on the fireplace. They have been known to have wiring problems and it sounds like what he is experiencing. The switch will need replaced for sure, but until he does a look-see, the underlying cause may not be addressed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
As Bingo posted. I would pull and check wires. The frozen switch is new but I had problems with the heating wire for my unit.

Yes I had the same thing (more or less) happen. Here is one of the pictures. I would chase the cause and fix immediately to prevent possible fire.

Here is my post with pictures.

What I think happened is the screw because loose and only a couple of wires was carrying all the current which caused them to get hot like a toaster or heating element and burned.

It is easy to gain access and replace the bad parts.

Good luck and let us know if you need help.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
What Bingo and John said is a big factor that needs to be addressed as regular maintenance. But I see in your post that you didn't know if the flame worked or not. Did he just leave the one switch on for heat and turned off the flame? Because you need to have both switches on in order to get heat. Just a possibility.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We have Dimplex fireplaces in both the RV and our S&B, I would never leave either on if I were not at home. All of them have a history of electrical problems. If the fan or flames are still operational then it is not likely the problem addressed by John. All of the ones I have seen have a separate on/off switch from the thermostat, which should be a rotary switch.

The frozen switch will have to be replaced as indicated and I would recommend removing the fireplace and checking it over thoroughly.

Good luck with it.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have a fireplace in this 2013 3402 Big Sky.We learned early on from this forum to check the fire place on a regular basis. We also never leave the fireplace on over night or when we are not in the camper. We took it out the first month we had the 3402 for a inspection. Everything was perfect no loose wiring no defects. We checked it again before we left for Florida and everything still looks good. It is on our every 6 months maint check list.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think you will find that the switch overheated and burned internally. Not the best quality when it comes to these parts
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It could be the part, but if not fastened down good and tight, then the workmanship on a loose connection can cause a problem, too. Without looking at the failed part you'll never know.

My power panel has a circuit breaker for it. I'd start with shutting that down (hopefully it's labeled correctly), then pull out the fireplace from its cubby, and open it up to check what's going down.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote