Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Skunked again

I heard all the ruckus soon after I let the dog out this morning, I jumped up from the chair and out the back door. As soon as I hit the lawn I saw the green fog in the mist of the porch light and then it hit me. The green cloud of skunk spray, Dusty was carring on and foaming at the mouth, must have been a direct hit. She charged again and with a quick bite the skunk was in the air, had skunk fur hanging from her mouth. I tried to intervein and got the back gate open for an escape route for the skunk. Didn't have time to get the gun and it was to early to shoot to dark and houses all around me. In the mean time I find a 8' pole and try to herd the skunk the way of the open gate. The dog is in for another take or shot and the skunk gets rolled again. I see a big rip right around the butt hole on the skunk and it was hurting. darn dog wouldn't let up. I couldn't breath and the cup of coffee and poppy seed muffin I had just finished didn't taste good right now. Neighbors must have thought something terrible had happened as I was fighting the skunk with the long stick and was using a flashlight that was shining in every direction at the same time and hollering for Dusty to stop. Finally the skunk just laid there and I rolled him out into the alley with the pole and closed the gate. So much for my skunk proofing the yard. Gonna have to re check the fence line
Must have stepped in some spray cause I walked thru the house and now it is quit purfume inside also. Well off to the store for rubber gloves, liquid dish soap, quart of Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, a good mixture for removing the oder from the dog. Got her washed up decent I think, will let her dry and take another sniff. She is outside whining and wants to come in but think she will spend the day out. Don't know where the skunk went, but it was tore up some. One would think that they would learn as this was the 3rd time she laid into a skunk. Don't think she got bit as I looked for puncture marks.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
So it sounds like you had a 'relaxing' Sunday morning!!! OMG! We have two dogs. One of mine has a thing for porcupines and has gotten hit twice. Once we paid out $500+ for surgery because the quills got too close to her nerve and her jugular vein. Now if she gets even a whiff of porcupine she is out for the attack!

Hopefully, that was the last time you will have a skunk in your yard! Best of luck getting the smell out!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
What an early morning adventure! We don't have many skunks here (thank GOD). Have your vet do a rabies check on the puppy. Skunks have been known to carry rabies. Hope your skunk smell subsides!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What a nightmare, Dusty 3 Skunk 0. Hope both of you get to smelling better. :0
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Allen, I have always heard that a bath in tomato juice would negate the smell of the skunk on your brave dog. Might be worth a try.

PS: I would probably get the cheapest brand of tomato juice.

Maybe someone else can tell you the procedure for doing this.

In any case, Good Luck!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
From past experience with our cats I can tell you nothing is a perfect remedy except blowing the skunk away on sight. Easier to do in a rural area. With neighbors, the police can raise a stink also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I now have my 22 rifle loaded with CB shorts as they are quiet, not much more noise than pellet rifle, A pistol is to loud. Even the CB long Rifle are slow 710fps, but I prefer the shorts, so I'm ready for the next one.
The dog came clean for the most part with the liquid dish soap, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, best concoction I have used to date. The house carpet on the other hand you can still smell that i walked thru it, Will have to get some carpet fresh in the morning and try to eliminate some of it before the wife gets home Wed.
I thought for sure the skunk would die as tore up as it was but I didn't see it again, crawled away to some place.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
We live in a rural area and trapping seems to be the easiest way to get a handle on the situation. A large Hav-a-hart works fine; then you can decide their fate at your liesure. Mine never come back.
My best/worst year caught 12.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

I thought for sure the skunk would die as tore up as it was but I didn't see it again, crawled away to some place.
[/quote]

Under a neighbors porch you don't care for?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Allen, I have always heard that a bath in tomato juice would negate the smell of the skunk on your brave dog. Might be worth a try.

PS: I would probably get the cheapest brand of tomato juice.

Maybe someone else can tell you the procedure for doing this.

In any case, Good Luck!!!
All tomato juice will do is give you reddish dog that still smells like a skunk! I'm not sure where this originated from, as I can remember hearing when I was a kid (many moons ago), but I can tell you first hand, it does not work! The most effective thing I found was a certain feminine product made by Massengill. I'm not sure what the active ingredient in it was that neutralize the smell, but after two bottles, the stink was gone.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
"Well off to the store for rubber gloves, liquid dish soap, quart of Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, a good mixture for removing the oder from the dog."

Perfect recipe. We add a teaspoon of vanilla for a good smell.

Sorry it happened - happened to ours as well (twice). Ya think she would have learned the first time.........
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
One of the first items that gets packed is the peroxide and baking soda, no matter how long we will be on the road. Beau has been skunked several times but has also rolled in various breeds of scat to include human, bear, dog, raccoon and most other 4 legged critters, along with most dead animals/birds/fish. The combination has ALWAYS worked. The nice smell usually comes from the Dawn soap which also helps the other ingredients to penetrate to the skin.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote