Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A/C Maintenance; Even a cave man can do

It is time folks.
Go up on the roof, or hire someone if you can't do it safely, pull the cover(s) from the A/C unit(s) with the power off... spray the INSIDE of the coils with simple green (I suggest, environmentally friendly, won't hurt the body of the RV, and cleans good) I use 50-50 mix.
Then spray the outside of the coils also with cleaner, now after a short soak, spray the coils with a gentle spray of water, choke down the volume of water with a shut-off ball type valve (just a hose shut-off type) Don't want to bend the fragile aluminum fins, don't worry if you do, they can be straightened. (Kitchen knife)
This is needed because the coils are a bare minimum of the size needed to keep the system in balance internally, you know, the change of state the refrigerant does to cool you.
On the new 410-A it is even more critical as the pressures are around 50% higher.
The A/C unit draws in air from the sides and blows out, so the dirt is inside, the outside looks clean, but the dirt is inside and in the middle of the coil surface.
If you just hose and clean the outside of the unit, it will do about a 30% cleaning.
When the coil get dirty, the breaker will blow, but we don't want it to get that bad.
Hope this is clear. Just ask if not.
Later, Gator......

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Ozz, you ever use compressed air to clean the evaporator, or is that a no no?
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's OK, I blew mine out with 1200# of Co2, just have to be careful. It doesn't do a very good job, just gets the the loose stuff off. You really need cleaner and water.
(I am shure you mean condenser)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...would recommend sending the water away from the flimsy air box, and sounds good to do for the evaporator coil...if we do good maintenance on the cheezy inside filter we never have to worry about the condenser coil?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, evaporator, wet cold visable coils inside the RV when you take the filter out. Yes, with a clean filter, the inside cois: evaporator, should not get dirty. When cleaning outside-rooftop condenser coil, use low pressure and cleaner, you should be OK.
I would get new foam filter material; any hardware store has them for window A/C units, change them when the old ones are damaged. Probably have to cut them to size using yours for pattern.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I meant the evap core. Air because water is difficult to manage without making a mess. I have never had to do either on the evap due to good filter maintenance though. I was just thinking if I ever saw it getting dirty how would you clean it. Thanks.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Ozz.. How often would you suggest to clean the coils?? The filter material is it better than the one that comes with the unit?
Thanks..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ozz thanks for the tip. I am going to try it. I have had my unit for 5 years and never cleaned the coils. You mentioned simple green, well I have a gallon of Awesome. Could I use that as a spray cleaner?
Also when using the hose to rinse down will water not go inside the coach?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lfw

Ozz.. How often would you suggest to clean the coils?? The filter material is it better than the one that comes with the unit?
Thanks..
lfw
I would not worry about the indoor evap coils, just check the filter monthly, if you have to clean it often, it will show signs of wear, curling up at the edges, then you need to replace it. No, the replacements will be about what you have, and they are fine for the unit.
If you use the A/C daily in this heat, it all depends on the stuff flying around outside. We were in Loveland, Cottonwood seeds were like snow, so cleaning was needed monthly, if not more often. Just regular dust conditions, maybe every other month, or possibly 3 month's. If a person has never cleaned it...now.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Ozz thanks for the tip. I am going to try it. I have had my unit for 5 years and never cleaned the coils. You mentioned simple green, well I have a gallon of Awesome. Could I use that as a spray cleaner?
Also when using the hose to rinse down will water not go inside the coach?
The only problem would be if you want the cleaner to run down the sides of the unit, really any cleaner would work, just keep in mind it will run down the sides, or guttering of the unit and on the rubber roof.
No, the outside of the unit, and under the cover (Should) be weather-tight.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good tip Ozz! It's great to have so many skill sets on this forum.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Ozz, at my stickhouse, the A/C tech lceans our fins every year its amazing to see the amount of junk that comes out. Thanks for the tip, had not thought of doing it to the Monty.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Ozz.. Does it help to clean the coils with hot water?? I have heard it will clean better.. How do you clean the inside coils??
Thanks..
lfw
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lfw

Ozz.. Does it help to clean the coils with hot water?? I have heard it will clean better.. How do you clean the inside coils??
Thanks..
lfw
Yes, hot water will work better, a little inconvenient, but good. If you keep the filter clean, I would not worry about the indoor coils. That is just the air circulated inside your unit. The filter keeps it clean, also the constant wet and draining coil self-cleans the aluminum fins.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
o.k. That sounds like it will work for me.. I clean the filter about every 2 weeks... Glad to hear that it is self cleaning..
Thanks for all the info..
lfw
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for the reminder, I couldn't believe how clogged the coils were, it's a wonder the AC worked.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, we're in a park where connecting a hose to clean anything at all is considered a no-no. I'm wondering if one of those little bug spray tanks with pressure wand would do the job instead? You know, the kind you pump up to spray for bugs? Maybe a two-gallon size?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would ask the manager if you could clean the A/C, slip them $5.00, you won't use a gallon of water...
The small spray tanks won't clean the coils very well.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, it would have to be when the owner is not in the park. His $$$$ Class A is parked here when not on the road and they're within site of us. The manager won't make any exceptions. When the owner is on the road (and even when not), his parents have a nice fifthwheel here, too, and they're here most of the time.

Do you think the spray tank has enough pressure to handle this job?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Well, it would have to be when the owner is not in the park. His $$$$ Class A is parked here when not on the road and they're within site of us. The manager won't make any exceptions. When the owner is on the road (and even when not), his parents have a nice fifthwheel here, too, and they're here most of the time.

Do you think the spray tank has enough pressure to handle this job?
The small spray tanks won't clean the coils very well.
But...better than nothing.