Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Metlife suprise!

Been looking for different Insurance for the Homebase, MFG Home, ofcourse our options are limited. We have Formost, but the rate seems to increase quite a bit each year. Got bids from American Modern and Metlife. The Metlife was quite a bit cheaper than AM and about 1/2 of Formost. Got the Policy today. SUPRISE! If the home is unoccupied for over 30 days MANY of the coverages are NULL AND VOID!!

Not good for Snowbirds or RV'ers like us who like to Spend time at places like Harrison Hot Springs or on the Oregon Coast for over a month at a Time.

Ofcourse how would they know until the claims guy talked to the Know-it-all down the street!

BTW: Due to Nancy having a NASTY Fall in June and the fact that we got the Park Model in AZ I haven't been on the site much this last year. I did appreciate the PM contact from a couple of you.

dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dersequim..... get a definition from the insurance company as to what "unoccupied" means.... If the home still has your personal belongings in it and you intend to return that may not apply.

When we were selling off our parents estate (home) and it was completely empty and for sale the regular homeowners insurance was voided and we had to purchase different insurance to cover the home while on the market.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Thanks, I sent the agent an E-mail with some questions, but will see if that term is covered in the definitions portation of the policy. If not will add to my e-mail.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
Believe it or not. Got an answer today. My proublem was the agent, finally had to contact the Insurance Broker today to get some INTELLIGENT response to my inquirey.

Unoccupied/Vancant applies to a house that has ceased to be a Primary/Seasonal Residence. Therfore EMPTY or Staged for Re-sale.

After my discussion with the Broker it was made clear that the Agent was going to receive some further education of the policy terms and Customer Service techiniques.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
dersequim not to muddy the water but if you have dealings with metlife be very careful they are hard to get along with when it comes time to pay.JMHO
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote