Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fridge is always on. Tunnels and bridges will be posted.We have had to turn it off on a couple of occasions.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #22
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We turn ours off. Nothing spoils, nothing thaws, and my beverage is cold even after 8-9 hrs on the road.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
When we load up for a trip, we usually have the Monty at home for overnight. I plug into electricity and turn on the refrig to electricity. We load the frig with food including the freezer, it is very cold by morning. For longer trip (over 3 weeks), we also put in our 5 cubic foot freezer in place of a recliner, it keeps everything in it frozen while we on the road for 6-9 hours. It only runs on AC electric. When we leave, the refrig is on propane--never have turned it off in three years of travel. I have driven thru several tunnels and none were posted with signs concerning propane. I will keep an eye out for those but will continue to travel with the propane on to the refrig.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I travel with mine off. After attending a safety seminar from the RV Safety Education Foundation and seeing pictures of accidents where the propane had been left on, we always turn it off. Fridge stays cold enough, of course we only travel from 3-8 hrs a day. Even our aux Refer/freezer, elect only, stays cold. I know the current tanks have a fast flow shut off device, but why take the chance, many other things malfunction, why not these????

Bottom line - to each his own....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
I also have always traveled with my propane on.Prior to the 5th wheel we had a Class C for 10 years and had always traveled with it on without any issues
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Here's an excellent article regarding this issue:

http://www.gypsyjournal.net/traveling_with_propane.htm
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
For the first several years of our fifth-wheel travel we always turned the propane (and refrigerator) off. Even in very hot weather, we never had a problem. Our refrigerator and freezer was usually full and fully cold before we left each day.

In more recent years, we have begun to travel with propane and refrigerator on. We have just returned from a trip to Florida which included a route through the Mobile tunnel. We stopped before entering the tunnel and turned off both propane and refrigerator. We did not see any sign except the general "Vehicles with hazardous material must use exit ###". I don't think it would make any difference normally to drive through the tunnel with propane ON, but "normally" is not the reason for the regulations.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #28
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Lately we've traveled with propane on with our last TT and the Monty. We've traveled through numerous tunnels and refueled without giving it a second thought, but there is a warning sign I've noticed prior to the I-90 tunnel going into Seattle that states propane must be turned off prior to entering the tunnel. That's the only warning sign I've every noticed. Maybe on the right coast it's more common.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #29
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
And should you "right coasters" get out here to "God's Country" in Washington, car ferry's require you to extinguish pilot lights.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #30
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
On the I-90 tunnel subject, I suspect that restriction pertains to hot tar trailers & tankers that run huge propane burners to keep the tar molten. Where would they have you stop on the floating bridge to turn it off?
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our refrigerator is never off except when defrosting it. We have propane turned on for the rig at all times except when going through a location that requires it be turned off. Those are very rare. We've had to turn it off one time in more than six years of traveling. That said, I will turn it off if we're gassing up where it might be a hazard. Since we're diesel, that's not often.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote