Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Suction Cup Mount for Wilson Trucker Omni Antenna

Not sure if anyone has done this before, since I've never seen it mentioned.

I was packing up gear to do some load-balancing testing with six EVDO devices and discovered that my trusty mag-mount antenna was in Chevy Tracker I had loaned to family for the weekend.

While I own and love my booster antenna, I wanted an external antenna to use with in-vehicle repeater so that signal was provided to multiple devices at the same time.

Pondering my situation, I stumbled across a suction cup dent puller I had neglected to put away, and the proverbial lightbulb came on inside of my head!

Below you'll see a composite photo showing the end result: a suction cup mount to hold a wilson trucker antenna onto the back of my truck.

As I recall, the 4 1/2" suction cup cost me about $5 at local AutoZone, and I'm sure anyone who wants to do same will easily find in similar chainstore auto-supply shops. Here's a link to a bunch of similar units on google shopping:

http://www.google.com/products?q=suc...up+dent+puller

I did quite a bit of freeway driving and my single cup solution held up just fine... its definitely going to do the job while parked at any campground!

For those of you who think a single cup may not suffice for your rough-house ways, there are dual suction cup models that will lift 100-lb glass sheets... I've even seen a four-cup model!

Some of you who already have your Wilson Trucker antenna nicely mounted to your rig may wonder why this is even worth mentioning.

Certainly, the proper mounting of an antenna always makes the most sense... but many folks prefer not to have a permanent or even semi-permanent antenna mounted on their rig, and the most common reason given to me is that they are selling their RV soon.

This suction cup solution is also a good idea for those who only want to own one antenna, but find the need to use it in more than one place.

I'm also certainly going to be recommending it to apartment dwellers, and folks who set up equipment at road shows.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the idea so that others can see yet another option for mounting an external antenna.

-- alex

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Alex,

What a great idea. Harbor Freight has them for as low as $3.99.

http://tinyurl.com/4pvmtv

MONTANA ADMINISTRATOR, THERE IS NO CHECK BOX HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS TOPIC
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote