Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
wheels black cone

I have steel wheels on my 3295RK, 2006. I had the wheel bearings repacked at a service dealer. I re-torqued this morning after driving back to the campground. I found one of the black cones (that fit inside the circle formed by the lug nuts and projected 5 inches or so out from the wheel) was not fastened all the way around. I called the service dealer and spoke to the tech. He said that cone is cracked and could not be fastened on the metal tab it was to fasten on. He said the cone was not functional but was cosmetic only.

Is the cone cosmetic only? If it flys off, is it OK to continue to pull the trailer indefinitely without replacing the missing cone(until it is convenient to have the part ordered and the tire removed to install the replacement)? Or should I rush out to get this fixed ASAP?

Second question: Should I remove the damaged cone so it won't fly off and perhaps damage the trailer? Can the removal of the cone be done without removing the wheel?

A related question is "Are these standard parts I can order online or are these Montana specific parts I need to order thru a Montana dealer"?

I was as nervous about letting a tech touch my unit as I was nervous about not doing the maintenance.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The cone doesn't matter. Just throw it away or drive with it loose.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I would remove the damaged cone. I would not want to be responsible if it came off while going down the road and the car or truck or whatever following me crashed trying to avoid a piece of plastic.
Might this cause damage to your own 5er, think what it could cause to someone else.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
I plan to remmove my "cosmetic" cones as I will be replacing my tires soon. Seems like a good time to do it. Never did like the way they looked. Sometimes I wonder what the rv designers could be thinking!
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If they are like our 2003 3295RK, they just slip into that hole from the back side. They have tabs to keep them in place but there were no screws or other mechanisms to hold them in place. Just the pressure of the wheel against the drum. If they're not really damaged you may be able to work it back into place. If not, you could pull the wheel and reinsert the cone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks to all for your information. I love this forum.

I will remove the loose cone if will remove with out dismounting the tire. If it won't come loose, it should pose no danger to other motorists. Next time I have the wheels or tires serviced, I think they will be trashed.

I remember when I was 16 and drove Dad's 59 belaire. I removed the hubcaps, painted the rims black to contrast the whitewalls, and put chrome lug nut covers on the wheels. Man, was I styling. I may look around for those chrome lug nut covers.

Gene
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You can buy replacements (even chrome looking ones) from an auto supply or by mail or Internet from a place like J.C. Whitney.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

You can buy replacements (even chrome looking ones) from an auto supply or by mail or Internet from a place like J.C. Whitney.
Exactly what I did...when replacing my tires a couple years ago, I found those plastic cones were not playing well. I found some 4 wheel drive cans from a tire shop that fit right in there - I slid the plastic cones inside of them to keep down the uglies from having the center too open.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
I took all mine off. When I re-packed the wheel bearings I repainted the hubs black so things look neat. Now it's easy when I stop to reach down and a quick feel of the hubs give me a heads up if trouble is lurking. Brake shoe hanging up or wheel bearing will cause those hubs to get real warm. Can't do that very well with those plastic covers in place. A laser spot temperature gun from Harbor freight works well also. You can actually take the temp of the inner and outer bearing and see the differene in temperature. You can also shoot in between the spokes of your rims and get temperature readings on the drums. Be safe John S.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote