Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
Bed Covers

I've done some searches and read a great deal and now am looking for some advice. Is there any bed cover made that can be closed while the fifth wheel is hooked up? I think most bed covers can cover the bed portion up to the hitch but not past. Do those that have bed covers wish their covers could close to keep the additional contents in their bed somewhat dry or is this concern not really an issue? I have seen a custom made soft cover with snaps that closes all the way and from what I understand, keeps most of the contents fairly dry. But, it is custom and fairly expensive.

I'm just trying to hear all the input before pulling the trigger. I am leaning towards the Truxedo because of the ease of opening and closing and not having to deal with snaps but I don't think the Truxedo can be closed even partially while hooked up since I think the wind might cause it to un-velcro. Let me know if this is true or not.

I also think I might be able to have something customized using the Truxedo frame and material if we want to have it close during hook-up. Any thought and advice appreciated.

traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by traveljunkie

I am leaning towards the Truxedo because of the ease of opening and closing and not having to deal with snaps but I don't think the Truxedo can be closed even partially while hooked up since I think the wind might cause it to un-velcro. Let me know if this is true or not.
I got the Truxedo Deuce specifically because you can open it at the front without unrolling it from the back. I also roll it halfway up (just in front of the pin) when hooked up. I use two big wood working claps (smooth jaws) from Harbor Freight (where else?) to clamp the rolled up portion to the side rail. This keeps the cover tight and prevents the wind from "unvelcroing" (if there is such a word). This keeps everything up front dry and out of sight. I suspect this will work with other brands as well. Simonsrf has an Access cover and it has similar side rails. We just returned from a 3000 mile trip through Washington and Oregon with a fair amount of rain. It worked great!

Carl (n Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
There is a canvas / vinyl cover that I saw a year or two ago that closes up and leaves the 5th wheel hitch hooked up; used velcro closures and snaps on the sides. However, now I don't find it when I google various covers. (Did the search in a bit of a hurry though). You might spend some more time looking. As I recall it had embedded bows to keep moisture moving towards the outside and was not all that expensive. That is the only ad I've ever seen for anything like that though.

Sorry I can't help more.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also saw that flexible cover that wrapped around the pin/pin box. Can't remember where... I have the Truxedo cover and love it. But unlike Carl, I have a longbed and our two bikes ride perfectly between the cab and the nose of the Montana. So I can't cover that front part like him.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
There used to be a company that advertised in the back of Trailer life with a cover like you are asking about. I never had a need for one then and now I don't see there advertisement in there any more. I have the Truxedo cover and love it
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
Check out the Access too.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
flyaplane

M.O.C. #7587
My 2002 HD Silverado Duramax short bed has a Roll N Lock sliding bed cover. Obviously the cover cannot be closed while the 5W is hooked up, however the cover slides over the top of the hitch with about 1/2 inch clearance when unhooked. It is not totally watertight but it only seems to get wet after a hard and lengthy rain. I am very pleased with this setup. An added benefit is that I can lock my tailgate when the cover is closed. (The 2002 Chevy trucks did not come with a locking tailgate.
flyaplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a 2007- 2500 Chevy, Crewcab, shortbed, Duramax/Allison and I had a Rhino lining sprayed in before having the Reese Slider put in and I also had a Retrax cover put on before I started towing our 2004 2980RL. The Retrax rolls back and stores in a box at the front of the TV box and takes up about 8-10" in the front of the bed. I also put a locking mechanism on the tailgate and the Retrax locks too, so I have a secure box to store items if needed and a covered box when I remove the Reese. I reverse the handle for the pin release and have no problems going over the Reese unit and covering the whole box then or when towing the fiver I can let it up just infront of the Reese. The Retrax can be locked at any spot on the slides to cover part or the whole bed. The rain that gets on the folding panels goes down into the box and is trapped in a tray in the storage bax then runs out through tubes put in between the storage box and the pickup box drain holes in the floor. The tray is not real large so it does overflow every so often but any overflow drains out of through the other holes in the bed. This next week I'm heading for a dealer that sells a gasket material to close up any space between the tailgate, truck or bed body and the Retrax cover to make it dust and water proof on the tailgate end. I'll let all know how that works!

Rondo
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote