Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
recall on big sky & Montana wheels

Keystone RV is recalling 995 MY 2007 Big Sky, Challenger, Everest, Montana, Mountaineer and Sprinter fifth wheel travel trailers built with 16" steel wheels. These wheels may leak at the valve stem during inflation or when checking the air pressure due to improper seating of the valve stem. Some models have aluminum wheels with a steel spare and only the spare is affected. Indication of the defect occurs when applying sideways pressure to the valve stem (such as checking the tire pressure). Air will leak through the valve hole in the rim. Continuing to pull a vehicle with improperly inflated tires will result in poor vehicle handling and increased risk of property damage and a vehicle crash could occur if the tire fails as a result of under-inflation. Dealers will replace the snap-in valve stem with a bolt-in valve stem. The recall is expected to begin during July 2007. 07V-286.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm/Mine is a 06 model year Built April of 06 and we had that problem..Had to replace all valve stems....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I saw this on an RV news letter I get every week. Received it today with this news.
I hope everyones Monty's check out OK.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, think we discussed this a while back, and someone on here seemed to think it was insignificant. Mine is a 2006, and I was informed by Keystone they didn't warranty valve stems. I have replaced some of mine and intend to replace the others when I address the rusty wheel problem. We'll see what the dealer says in a week or so. The problem is stamped in the metal on the wheels; "Made in China".
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I Googled (yep, its now a verb) Keystone recall and found out some model year 2007 Montanas also had incorrect tail lamps installed and are in a recall. Anyone have info to post on this site service bulletins similar to other vehicle sites? A great example to follow would be http://www.wkjeeps.com/recalls/wk_recall.htm and http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm#NEW where they post all recalls and service bulletins.

Seems that the folks that need to be notified the most about recalls are the ones who full time and are on the road and are less likely to be reached by Keystone via the mail.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve - was the tailight issue related to the portion of 07 Montanas that had back up light lenses in the tailights but no back up lights? Just curious.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Brad, this is from a NHTSA extract found on RVTRAVEL.COM :

"Keystone RV is recalling 150 MY 2007 Montana fifth wheel trailers. The tail light sockets may not maintain contact with the bulb. The tail lights may not function reliably. Failure to remedy this situation may result in an increased risk of a rear end collision while driving due to other drivers not being warned on stopping or turning. Dealers will inspect the tail light sockets and replace them free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during May 2007."

Looks like this link is worth checking monthly as they have a recall link for all makes of travel trailers. http://rvtravel.com/RVnewsletter.shtml
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Here is the latest link on this recall. Other brands there too.

http://rvtravel.com/publish/news/rv-...-June-07.shtml

Also the link of the latest RV newsletter

http://rvtravel.com/publish/newsletter/issue284.shtml
Old 07-15-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
The is not just 2007 models. My 2006 Mountaineer had the problem and I all ready replaced all of them. Your concern should be that they do not give you a warning. Pressure fine today and you check tires next week before pulling out on a trip and you have a tire with only 40lbs of air and as soon as you touch the stem it leaks more.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Most dealers do not have tire changing equipment and will not be able to change the valve stem in their own shop. I wonder how this work will be handled.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am going in to Burnside (Houghton Lake) this Thursday (July 19th) for my FINAL general warranty work day. Our 2007 3400RL will be one year old on July 20th (I do have a 5 yr extended warranty, but we are talking $250 deductible). I am adding these two items to our list.

My build date on my 3400 was 7/19/06. I have been following this ongoing valve stem problem with great concern. I currently have 4,327 miles on my rig and I have not lost so much as one pound of pressure. Maybe they corrected the problem by that build date (doubtful), or I have very lucky (probably).

Steve is correct on the tire changes. Many dealerships will probably have to send all recalled tires to a reputable tire dealer nearby. If if they did have the equipment, I can't believe that they would have the experience of making sure the this type of work is done right?

As an afterthought, Keystone may not even direct affected owners to their dealership. I can imagine a scenario where they will ask owners to just take their units to a tire dealership that they trust. Out of pocket shouldn't be overwhelming and they could reimburse owners with a valid receipt. Just a thought.

Tail light problem could be a sticky problem to detect. Cheryl and I do a light test before every move. So far - standing still - everything has been fine. Unless I have her run down the road behind me for a ways on rough road (not a probable scenario) we would never know that we had an intermittent problem.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #12
jimnbubba

M.O.C. #7379
Our 06 montana 3650rk has had no problem with air pressure in over 5000 miles,it also has sat for 3-4 months at a time with no loss
jimnbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Until we changed our Tredit wheels for Alcoa wheels with steel valve stems (couldn't put steel valve stems on the Tredits), always had air loss - 5 to 10 pounds per week: PITA.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote