Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Satellite Dish Stand

I ran across this article and thought some of you might find it interesting. If you have tried this or something like this, let us know how it worked out.

http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2007/...side-down.html

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Looks like something I may try. Mine is set on two 1x4 set up in an x design with the dish mounted in the center it worked good until the boards started to warp. at least the pvc won't warp. Thanks for the info. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Interesting idea and there are also some posts on dish mounting down in the Entertainment forum.
Once you find a system that works well for you, you get comfortable with it but for people that have not found a system they like, the idea in your post is worth trying.
My brother gave me his old basic Wineguard tripod when he bought a better designed new one and I thought about a better way to make it stable in the wind because the screw auger and spring that comes with these does not work very well.I discarded them and I now put a small wooden wedge under each leg. I drive three 12" spikes into the ground on the same angle as the three legs. I use a pipe clamp on each leg to hold it to the spike. By tapping in on the wedges I can plumb the dish mount and this makes finding the satellite easy. Mine has never blown over in the wind and in Alberta this May, we had some good winds that blew over quite a few dishes. Here is pic of my set up and you see in Canada the dish angle is aiming lower on the horizon.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...r/P1000024.jpg
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have seen just about everything on the road. The problem with the on the ground set ups is everything is on the ground..Trucks, cars, walls, buildings, people, etc and you need to get the elevation to get over all that stuff. Remember the farther north you go the less the angle of elevation is.With Dish if you happen to be in Southern Tx the elevation is @58 degrees..just about straight up..however in Anchorage,Ak it is 10.0 Degrees. Az is easier to deal with.One thing about moving around on the road with the tripod mounted dish is we are always checking the Az and El to get a signal.. It does not take much to miss that Volkswagon size sat 22.5 K miles up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
I have been using the pvc pipe dish mount for several years and it has worked great. I often put it in the bed of the truck and get reception. Several times I put it on the roof of the camper when low to the ground would not work. I have never had it blow around in the wind, although I am sure there are some winds that will move it. It is easy to store and set up.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote