Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
glenski01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6561
New to me, 04 Duramax

While shopping for a new 5th whl, I advised the RV salesman, that I wanted to look around more at other 5th wheels (he carried Laredo, Everest, & Paradise Pointe by Crossroads & alot of Motorhome Mfgs), & besides I needed to purchase a new truck to replace my Yukon Denali, before I actually got a 5th wheel. He informed me a guy was trading a 99 Holiday Rambler fiver & an 04 Silverado Duramax crewcab 4x4 in for a new Holiday Rambler class A diesel motorhome & that they would wholesale the truck off as they only sell RV's. He stated he would call me when he got it in to take a look at the truck, he did not know all the specifics on the truck. I fiqured, well 1st we will see if he even calls me, secondly it probably will not be a truck I want.

Sure enough yesterday the salesman called me & I went to look at the truck. I had planned on purchasing a brand new truck in March when my current vehicle lease was up. The Silverado was a Silver 2500 HD Duramax, super clean, like new, and only 11,700 miles, owned & maintained by an engineer. There was not a scratch on the truck, even has flawless Rhino bed lining, & appeared it never hauled anything other than a 5th wheel. Wholesale was $25-26, avg private party was $28-31K. They offered me the truck for $23K, which stemmed from their best "buy bid" from a car dealership. (actually I paid $23K plus $289 dealer fee). Truck even has Reese hitch, & prodigy brake controller installed.

Generally, I don't buy used vehicles,& want the latest model/features. However I have not been real thrilled with the looks of the new 07 1/2 Silverado (interiors are nice though), plus diesel models are not quite out yet & I understand the new engines may or may not have some issues due to all the new emissions stuff. I am not one to be manufactor specific, I like the Dodge, Ford, & Chev trucks, each one has something I like, so I was not dead set on any brand yet, just knew it had to be 3/4 or 1 T, diesel & 4x4. I figured I can't go wrong with this truck for now.

So, long story, I now have the truck, on to a Montana 5th wheel, probably for March/April delivery.

glenski01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Too cool Glen! Nothing holding you back now! Good time to dicker as they get a little hungry on those RVs out here in the winter.

Truck sounds nice and should do the job - not sure if being owned by an Engineer is a good thing or not .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by glenski01

While shopping for a new 5th whl, I advised the RV salesman, that I wanted to look around more at other 5th wheels (he carried Laredo, Everest, & Paradise Pointe by Crossroads & alot of Motorhome Mfgs), & besides I needed to purchase a new truck to replace my Yukon Denali, before I actually got a 5th wheel. He informed me a guy was trading a 99 Holiday Rambler fiver & an 04 Silverado Duramax crewcab 4x4 in for a new Holiday Rambler class A diesel motorhome & that they would wholesale the truck off as they only sell RV's. He stated he would call me when he got it in to take a look at the truck, he did not know all the specifics on the truck. I fiqured, well 1st we will see if he even calls me, secondly it probably will not be a truck I want.

Sure enough yesterday the salesman called me & I went to look at the truck. I had planned on purchasing a brand new truck in March when my current vehicle lease was up. The Silverado was a Silver 2500 HD Duramax, super clean, like new, and only 11,700 miles, owned & maintained by an engineer. There was not a scratch on the truck, even has flawless Rhino bed lining, & appeared it never hauled anything other than a 5th wheel. Wholesale was $25-26, avg private party was $28-31K. They offered me the truck for $23K, which stemmed from their best "buy bid" from a car dealership. (actually I paid $23K plus $289 dealer fee). Truck even has Reese hitch, & prodigy brake controller installed.

Generally, I don't buy used vehicles,& want the latest model/features. However I have not been real thrilled with the looks of the new 07 1/2 Silverado (interiors are nice though), plus diesel models are not quite out yet & I understand the new engines may or may not have some issues due to all the new emissions stuff. I am not one to be manufactor specific, I like the Dodge, Ford, & Chev trucks, each one has something I like, so I was not dead set on any brand yet, just knew it had to be 3/4 or 1 T, diesel & 4x4. I figured I can't go wrong with this truck for now.

So, long story, I now have the truck, on to a Montana 5th wheel, probably for March/April delivery.
I would hope your truck is the LB7 engine and not the LLY. The LLY is an overheater (I have one) when worked hard. On long steep grades and such in hot weather. Also, the LB7 gets a little better fuel mileage from what I have seen. My son has the 2004 Silverado LB7, and I have the LLY (signature). I have never overheated, but I have heard that fan roar in hot weather here in East TX just pulling the 6000 lb. Sportmen TT we had. We'll see how it does with the high profile 5er next summer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I had an 03 Silverado with the 300HP D/A combo and it pulled our Monty without so much as a whimper. I now have an 05 Sierra with the 310HP D/A combo. Other than the 10 additional HP I see absolutely no difference in the two. Both have hauled our butts and the Monty through the mountains of Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Virginia and up into the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont on some of the hottest summer days with no overheat problems whatsoever.
All things being right on your new ride you should have no problems pulling whatever Monty you buy. And 23,289 was a great deal.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
glenski01, I personally think you got a great deal for a tv, you would have a hard time parting me from my 2002 for that price. I never heard of the overheating problem, must be something with the signature (LLY). Been around the Duramax for a while now and the first I've heard that.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Glen - I am really happy for you, I think you picked up a great TV and at a right price. Now thinking about the MONTANA, they are several of us that think you should pick up the NEW MONTANA prior to MAY 2007. Living in Denver, your a hop and skip from the BRANSON SPRING GET TOGEATHER. We would love to see you sitting there with your brand new rig....
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Glen, congrats on your new TV. The D/A combo is one pulling machine...I hope it does all you need it to do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Glen, I to bought a used 05 2500HD, which had 11,200 miles on it at the time. I have had it for 11 months and have put 23,000 miles on it. I have towed my 5er for about 12,000 of those miles, up and down mountains, all over the Northwest and Southwest, and loved every minute of it. The D/A is a great match. Was thinking about upgrading to a 3500, but have decided that I liked this truck too much to trade it off, so I just got an extended warranty for 100,000 instead. Figure I would keep the Tana 3000RK for 5 - 7 years, and then trade both off at same time. You will love the Tana, they are a great motorhome...

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rrheik

You will love the Tana, they are a great motorhome...
barb and bob
They are a WHAT?? Such language. You should have your mouth washed out with soap.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahhahah - if the Monty's had motors, we couldn't debate about our TVs anymore!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

glenski01, I personally think you got a great deal for a tv, you would have a hard time parting me from my 2002 for that price. I never heard of the overheating problem, must be something with the signature (LLY). Been around the Duramax for a while now and the first I've heard that.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Duramax. The overheating seems limited to the 2004-05 LLY. Seems to have been cured with the 06 LLY and LBZ engine. You can do a google search and find lots of reading on the OH problem.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the LB7 in my '04 and it is one awesome towing machine!!!! Enjoy your new truck...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote