Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hydraulic Disc Brakes

As some of you know, I arrived in Benson, AZ yesterday around 2 pm. Just as I pulled into the campground, my trailer brakes locked up. Five guys tried to help and a mobile RV repairman came after I finally got through to CoachNet emergency road service (3 tries) and did some troubleshooting. I called a brake guy in Bakersfield who helped me the last time I had a brake problem, and he told the local guy how to release the hydraulic pressure by bleeding the brakes. I was finally able to roll through the entrance gate that I'd been blocking for almost 4 hours, carefully moved into a site in the campground and got set up around 6 pm.

This is similar to the incident I experienced in Bakersfield about a year and a half ago. In that case, the breakaway switch had malfunctioned and engaged as I crossed some RR tracks. That didn't cause the problem this time, however. We re-set the breakaway switch (several times), disengaged all power, disconnected the battery, checked all wiring, etc.

This morning we discovered the manufacturer, Tow Brake International, went out of business 2 weeks ago! A lot of good the 5-year warranty does me now! The service manager at Mor/Ryde, where the brake system was purchased and installed, and who might be able to supply a replacement or substitute, couldn't be reached today (sick? vacation?) and his boss was out, too. Since it's Friday, nothing more will happen until at least Monday.

So I'll probably be here for another week getting a new brake controller and actuator. I've cancelled next week's doctor's appointment and campground reservation in California. I'm still hoping to make it to Death Valley for the '49er Encampment, but who knows?

Does anyone else have the HD3000 hydraulic disc brake system from Tow Brake International? The Mor/Ryde people selected that system as the best on the market and sold/installed them for at least two years. Now even they don't know what brakes they'll use, according to a tech named Chris, who's trying to help me get in touch with the service manager.

Oh, well, we have to roll with life's challenges...

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
What happens when you push the TEST button? Do the brakes apply? Do the two test LED's turn on (both green)?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
The test button turned the two LED's on, but there were so many heads in that storage compartment from all the help I had, I couldn't see what color they were. Sorry, bigmurf, but the question "Do the brakes apply?" is hard to answer, since the brakes were locked.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sharon!

I cannot believe that this could happen twice to the same person! What are the odds? I hope you are out there buying some lottery tickets!

Well at least you are in a nice area in a nice park.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
When the test button is pushed do you hear the cylinder drive in and out?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote