Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
leev
Established Member

M.O.C. #6136
Teachers

Here I am, reading the forum, instead of grading papers. I'm curious about how many Monty owners are teachers, or have retired as teachers.
Currently I teach 3rd grade in a small Oklahoma town. I can retire in 3 and 3/4 years.

leev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
God bless you leev! You got the hardest job in the world; I know I couldn't do it! Teaching our young is one most difficult and most underappreciated of all the professions! I applaud you!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Paul is a retired junior high Science Teacher. You wil find there are a lot of teachers/retired teachers on this forum
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
My wife is going back to college full time right now to start! I still have a few more years before I'm ready to retire anyway.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I guess I could be classified as a teacher only I teach adults. I teach Leadership Institute classes, Situational Leadership Classes and do instructional design for the company I work for.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am going back to college the first of the year. Teaching is one of the three programs I am thinking about...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
tacodave
Established Member

M.O.C. #1366
I retired from teaching elementary P.E. for 35 years in the same school district and only changed buildings once. Great system hear N. of Cincinatti called Lakota. Had thousands of kids and remember every one of them.....after they remind me of their name. Had several second generation students and had fun showing them their parents elementary school pictures.
We attended our first rally this past Sept. in Goshen and look forward to more of them.
tacodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
I'm a K-12 public school counselor working in the Alaskan Bush ("Bush" means it is not on a road system- nothing to do with our leadership). I LOVE MY JOB!!! Buying a 3400 now so I have a home during my 3 months off and travel this grand country we live in!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I teach basic and advanced electronics to young Air Force technicians. The "kids" come from a generic formal technical school right after basic training and then they receive specialized training from either myself or 8 other members of a field engineering staff at their duty station here in Texas. These field engineers, or AFETS (Air Force Engineering and Technical Services) provide continuity and aircraft systems expertise because military guys and gals come and go, we're here for the duration of the weapons system and have even deploy with the jet when at war.
My particular discipline includes electronics, avionics systems (those darned "black boxes" on the jet), computer programming, test console operations and maintenance.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
my wife and I work for a school dist in Idaho. She drives bus and is a driver trainer. I am a bus mechanic.We are hoping to retire on 10/08/2010.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I retired after serving as an administrator in school districts for 25 years in the fiscal and IT departments. I did a lot of computer training during those years and trained high school student body organizations in good business practices all over the state of California. The kids I worked with were all high achivers so it was fun.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Sharon and I were the science dept. in our small school here in Iowa. Sharon taught the life sciences-Biology, Environmental, A & P and I taught the physics, chemistry, and computers. We are both retired now but for the most part enjoyed our careers. Love the free time that retirement means. Lots of camping and grandkids time!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
My wife and I owned a private school in CA. It was pre-K through 8th grade. Sold the school and moved to WA in '02.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
PERetired
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3897
As my user name implies, I'm a retired P.E. teacher. Taught all grade levels from preschool to seniors in high school at different times of career. Was in McFarland Middle School in central California last 10 years. Still Subbing 2 days a week to earn those "traveling dollars".
PERetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #15
leev
Established Member

M.O.C. #6136
I read with interest the replies to my inquiry concerning teachers. Maybe our paths will cross during our travels. Thanks for taking time to reply!
leev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
One of my favorite sayings is, "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you read it in English, thank a veteran."
I think both professions deserve all the credit and thanks they can get and others can give.
I taught college IT classes and was also an instructor for the PA State Fire Academy for years.
I really enjoy teaching and hope you do.
Keep up the good work.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #17
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Currently I am a preschool teacher using the Montessori philosophy. I have done this for 18 years and I love every moment of it. Everyday the children teach ME. I enjoy their honesty,sense of humor, and williness to love all and everything. I am really lucky to spend my days the way I do. Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Another pair of educators checking in. Carol was an elementary teacher for 36yrs, and I am a retired administrator after 36yrs also in education. All of our careers were in Wisconsin.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #19
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I would like to pay tribute to a new kind of teacher, the homeschooling parent. Our daughter is committed to homeschooling her 4 children, and from what I have seen so far it is a definite improvement over the education she herself received in school. I am not blaming teachers for this problem. It is the system I blame. Our grandchildren are all polite, well spoken, and act their age. Every person I tell about this, however, says "what about social skills?" What social skills, you mean like bad language, picking on others less fortunate, being disrepectful, and dressing like a teenager at age 6? My grandchildren go to karate 2 times a week and to church 2 times a week and one day a week they join with other homeschooling families for activities and field trips. The children are not overloaded with homework unless they do not pay attention and work during the day. In the public school our daughter attended (a school honored by the state as being one of the best) she had 1-2 hours of homework as early as the 2nd grade after spending 6 hours in the classroom. I was a volunteer in the school and I could see the problems of not enough work being done during school time and more being sent home. My daughter can teach much more in less than half the time.

I admire teachers for what they are up against these days. I have friends who are teachers. Interestingly, the children of the superintendent of schools in this region are homeschooled!

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #20
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Betty is a 3rd grade teacher this year. Most people do not realize how many hours they put in. At least 70 plus hours per week. She has another 2 and one half years and she will retire. May do some sub work after that if cash flow is needed.

We are looking forward to some freedom at that point.

God Bless our teachers!

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote