Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Glad no one was hurt Ozz!
We have had our bed saver for almost a year. One of the best investments we made.Don said he didn't need one but I bought one anyway!

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Ozz,

I understand how the bedsaver works, but I don't understand how it came into play in this situation. You were unhooking on arrival at a campsite, right? Wouldn't your front legs already have been down, and supporting the trailer at that point? I must be misunderstanding something. Can you explain the situation a little more?

Anyway, I'm glad you had the bed saver available. As others have said, it seems like good insurance. (Insurance Companies should pay you to install one.)
I too am glad you had the bedsaver but I am confused like Ontmont.
Your landing gear had to be up for your trailer to drop and I don't understand how that would happen. I confirm that my hitch has locked my pin before I ever raise my landing gear. The only way I could drop my trailer is if I forgot to drop the landing gear or if the hitch did not lock the pin. This could happen, but touch wood....... it never has in 20 years of pulling fivers.
Not slamming the bedsaver, it can be a great thing , but you can still pull away with your landing gear down as well as other brain fades so I still like my check list and Donna going over the checklist with me. I don't plan on ever owning a bedsaver because I own a hitch that allows me to see when the pin is captured and to me that is all I need.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #23
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Even with the landing gear down, these big rigs can slide back. Didn't Glenn post something about his rig falling off his blocks under the front legs? The biggest mistake you can make is thinking that this will never happen to you.

The chocks between the tires will not hold the rig in place. We've driven right over ours. If the rig is moving on an incline, the same thing would happen. We use the yellow plastic chocks and apply them immediately after stopping.

Our Bedsaver is also set so that we have to raise the pin to go over the Bedsaver and then lower it to enter the hitch. If that's what we do it must mean we're doing it correctly, right, Rich?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I will be getting a bedsaver before I tow our new monty home. Accidents CAN happen. and knowing me... it WILL happen.
Thanks for sharing Ozz.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:11 AM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Everybody makes mistakes and everybody will. No question. If the rig slides back with the landing gear down, that will not allow the rig to fall onto the truck UNLESS the landing gear legs are on blocks and that is why I would never use blocks. I use 3/4" plywood pads under my landing gear legs, not 6 inch blocks like I see so many people using.

We were in Chula Vista California years ago when they had an earthquake and it sure felt like my fiver would have have shook itself off landing gear blocks, but I was on pads and it just danced around and scared the heck out of us.

The Bedsaver is designed to save damage if you forget to drop your landing gear or you can't tell if your hitch is truly locked. I have read of hitch manufacturer's that tell you, before you raise your landing gear, to do a little pre-tug to make sure your pin is locked.

If I had a hitch like that, I too would own a Bedsaver but I won't own such a hitch. I want a hitch that allows me to see the pin is captured and locked. That is my Bedsaver.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have never been distracted, made a mistake or can never have a accident the bedsaver is a waste of money.Ozz was on a incline, his camper rolled back over the chocks. legs down would just have dragged the legs.Should Ozz have parked on a incline? These campers weigh a bunch. how about better chocks? Humm did not think of that..perhaps a oversight.. maybe even a mistake..gosh..lucky he had the bedsaver..just in case. We now use 6 inch steel I beams that a fellow camper bent into chocks for us..won't run over those. Take a look at the bedsaver video note how smoothly the camper transfers to the bedsaver.. You should be able to transfer to the bedsaver with little or no drop..The video says the bedsaver will not interfere when unhitching..that is true IF you raise the pin stright up out of the hitch until it clears the bedsaver..however a test of the bedsaver is that if you pull the locking handle and pull foward the pin will slide into the saver with ease...therefore we release the tension till the hitch just moves then pull foward till the pin is clear of the hitch..then raise the legs till we can clear the bedsaver.. Now since ole Rich is perfect and will never overlook anything I do not need a bedsaver...but Helen made me buy one...silly girl..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hey, Bob,

What kind of hitch do you own??? Is it one that can be purchased in the States as well as Canada??

Carol
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 AM   #28
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Not sure what hitch Bob recommends but I like these and they are available in the USA.
http://www.hijacker.com/
Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #29
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Another vote for the Bedsaver!! For those perfect people out there who never make a mistake hitching and unhitching or never get distracted...we will all cry with you if and when you have a mishap, but then like a loving devoted parent will tell you we told you so!! I have not had my fiver come loose, but I have had it shift once I unhooked...just not enough for the bedsaver to catch it...but it scared me none the less. I have also forgoten to engage my safety lever with the locking cotter pin once I did hitch up. Drove 200 miles before I realized the over sight...once again scared me...reinforced that I take my time and be careful. Lucky?.....probably, but every time something like this happens I am thankful I bought the bedsaver. This incident had nothing to do with the fiver being hitched correctly, or if you could plainly see that it was hitched properly. Ozz manually released the hitch to release the trailer from the truck. It would not have mattered what type of hitch was being used in this scenario. Ozz, I agree with Rich...looks like you could raise it up 1 bolt hole and it would catch sooner. I'm glad it worked out with no damage. Thanks for posting. It's just another reminder that we all need to be extra careful and accidents DO HAPPEN to the best of us.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Ozz,

I understand how the bedsaver works, but I don't understand how it came into play in this situation. You were unhooking on arrival at a campsite, right? Wouldn't your front legs already have been down, and supporting the trailer at that point? I must be misunderstanding something. Can you explain the situation a little more?

Anyway, I'm glad you had the bed saver available. As others have said, it seems like good insurance. (Insurance Companies should pay you to install one.)
I too am glad you had the bedsaver but I am confused like Ontmont.
Your landing gear had to be up for your trailer to drop and I don't understand how that would happen. I confirm that my hitch has locked my pin before I ever raise my landing gear. The only way I could drop my trailer is if I forgot to drop the landing gear or if the hitch did not lock the pin. This could happen, but touch wood....... it never has in 20 years of pulling fivers.
Not slamming the bedsaver, it can be a great thing , but you can still pull away with your landing gear down as well as other brain fades so I still like my check list and Donna going over the checklist with me. I don't plan on ever owning a bedsaver because I own a hitch that allows me to see when the pin is captured and to me that is all I need.
OK, now boys and girls, you must read the post carefully.
I was setting up. Looking at the site I'm on, it looks level, there is just a small incline, if you laid a basketball down, it would not roll, or maybe roll an inch or so.
I said I pulled the lever to release the King Pin, and away she went.
The rear tire rolled over the chock, the Black wedge in the picture. The air bags were as high as blocks of wood would have been. So the air bags were not at fault, Wood, or plastic would have had the tires as high. I had the Two tires raised to level the Monte.
I made a mistake in not securing the rear of the tires on BOTH sides.
Usually, I have a wedge, (Yellow plastic) on the opposing rear side. Sue put it in front of the tire when we were setting up, I remember saying OK, when she told me. MY fault, I should have set another on the rear of the tire, when setting up in the rain, sometimes we miss things. Like I said I made a mistake and looking back, I should have done things different to keep the Monte from sliding back.
The Bedsaver was slick, when I pulled the lever, it rolled back dropped a little, not much, and it was securely latched. No damage to anything.
Now, the blocks under the Two landing gear leg;, it dropped a little off of the blocks on the legs, if had no blocks, it would have still rolled back, dragging the landing gear legs, they are skid plate type bases, they would not have 'dug in' and are not designed to, for protection of the legs, I am guessing.
With my research, (and I research most everything) more, dropped fivers are caused by exactly what happened to me, as with driving off with the latch not secured. Even more evidence of me having my head stuck up my tailpipe when setting up.
It was a mistake; insurance, repair kits, first aid kits and Bedsavers are around for these things.
I have not been using my Roto-Chocks, if I had them, this would not have happened, if you want some good between the tires chocks, these are the best, easiest to use, and store, on the market in my opinion
(They are in place now.)
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:21 AM   #31
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I backed my brand new (at the time) 26 foot SlumberQueen Fifth Wheel into my house because it was two feet longer than my old Wilderness so I am only too painfully aware of how easy RV accidents happen. I just think that depending on something like a Bedsaver to prevent every hitching mishap will not prevent every kind of accident. This is my opinion only and it is not my intention to say I don't make mistakes. I, like every human being on the planet will make mistakes. By not having a Bedsaver, I have to make extra sure that my rig can't roll, my landing gear can't slide off blocks, and my hitch is locked.

After all , if you were on a steep enough slope that had such a slick surface that your landing gear would slide, then so would your truck slide, and you could watch your incredible Bedsaver pull your entire unit into the lake.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:17 AM   #32
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
It looks like a bedsaver paid for itself this time.

I haven't gone the bedsaver route, as I'm not sure I want to give up some more space in my truck bed (and don't want to add another 50 lbs to my payload weights). So I also rely on "processes and tools" - I painted my "slider jaw" (white in the center and pink on the ends) so I can visibly check it, and I never unhook without having two of the yellow chocks AND a BAL Wheel Chock installed. The comment by Wrenchtraveler about wood blocks under the legs makes me want to change over to the 3/4" plywood pads, though.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #33
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It would still slide back....and fall from the hitch to whatever is below the Pin.
(Edit, I guess it wouldn't fall if the legs were not up on blocks, but it would still slide back if not chocked properly.)
Also not solve the problem of unhitching and rolling back.
You are prudent in using the Bal wheel chock, so shouldn't have a problem.
We never think it can happen to us, but some chatty people greeting us when we arrive, bad weather, a Bikini, oops, us married men wouldn't notice that!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #34
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
A Bikini...........ahh now I see. Well Ozz I sure am glad no damage was done but I am like Mallardjusted and don't want any more weight in the bed of my truck so I will just take a chance and keep on doing what I have always done. At least until I get a Dually and can afford the extra weight, a Dually F450 that is. Take care and keep having fun.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You too, buddy, if you get to the states down our way, I'd like to meet you.
Ozz
Old 10-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #36
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OK - It took FOUR PAGES (4) and the truth finally came out BIKINI caused the whole darn thing!!!!!!!

I am really glad you had no damage and no one got hurt. You would think by now, most hitch companies would have one built in..

Safe Travels everyone John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #37
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozz,it won't be for a few years before I get to explore your part of the world because I still have 4 years to work and both kids are still free loading off me but they are both in college so I don't mind. If you ever get up in the North West, you have to come to Vancouver Island, it is a beautiful part of the world, and you can get a Ferry from Seattle or Vancouver BC and I would enjoy meeting both you and your wife.
We hope to see a lot more of the USA someday and we love travelling down there. We did the Grand Canyon and Sedona a few years back and loved them both. There was a river in Sedona that had a natural rock water slide........really neat. I really want to see the South Eastern States someday because the History of this region has always facinated me. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #38
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Ozz, GOOD SAVE, we have had a bedsaver for awhile already. Got mine after my ffriend who had been 5th wheling for over 10 years and just brought home a new 5th wheel and TV and when getting ready to hit the road, had hi-hitched and ended up with a $10K repair bill between TV and FW. I also painted my hitch jws with fluorscent paint and my kingpin ball with different colofr fluorscent paint. Turn on the light under cap in the dark and the hitch shows up nicely. Got that advice sevefral months ago on the Woodall Forum....Good luck my friend...

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #39
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We took the pictures at Sedona, we will be going to The Grand Canyon this coming week. Might have to look up that slide.....You're a good Pop.
Hey John, good work on the Branson deal, did we figure a way to contact all the Montana owners yet?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #40
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Ozz, that slide you are talking about is in Oak Creek Canyon. It is actually an AZ State Park now called Slide Rock State Park. You have to pay a fee to stop and park and then walk over to the slide area. I wish I could tell you if there is parking for the Monty but since they created the park, I have not stopped. It used to be a nice free swimming hole years ago when I was attending college in Flagstaff. Oak Creek flows out of the mountains down through the canyon and right through Sedona. The highway going through Oak Creek is 89A. It is a windy, two lane, switch-backed route once you start climbing out of the canyon toward Flagstaff. You could do it pulling the Monty but it will be slow going getting out of the canyon. I haven't been up there in a few years but there used to be signs recommending larger trucks take a different route.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote