Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #21
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Are we now known as the CPAPers? The exclusive group of forced breathers.

jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #22
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Believe it or not guys, my wife and I both have one. We let then sit on the floor under the shelf on that ledge beside the bed in the 3400RL. I sleep on the oposite side of the closet plug so I just run an extension across by lifting the bed and, run it across and close the bed down. I have been using one for 14 years, all over the world, and in all of our RVs. The wife is a newby, she has only been using for about three years.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #23
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Native Tex,

Did you say that you run the electric cord or extension cord under the bed. I thought about doing that, but I was concerned about the bed being on top of the wire and the possibility of fraying the wire and causing a fire. I'm sure that you know what you are doing, but I thought I'd just mention it.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Well now we've found a new link to all us apnea snorers. I've been struggling to find the right combination of mask for about 1 1/2 years now but so far no luck. I used to keep waking myself up from snoring & gasping. Now I have a CPAP machine that keeps waking me up. Blow-by in my eye, across my cheek, down the other side, etc. etc. I too have to use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed but the issue really is finding the right mask or other set up. Am scheduled next month for another sleep study to see if a BPAP will help. I don't get much help from the supply company that contracts with my insurance to provide the equipment. When we ordered this Montana we had them install a 110 plug in the stationary wall between the tub/shower base and the slider closet. When we are off boondocking a small inverter is used - the CPAP only draws about 3 amps.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #25
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ronnilu,

You might try a ResMed mask. The one I now use is a nasal mask. The difference is that when I exhale the pressure fills a bellows type ring around the nasal cushion creating gentle pressure to push the cushion toward my face. This has greatly reduced the air leaks around my face and nose. I can roll to either side without causing a leak.

My prior mask was a gel mask by Respironics, a good mask, but this one is more airtight without excessive strap tightness. Some one should combin the two designs for a "best mask".

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Thanks Stiles, I will look into this at my upcoming appointment.
Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #27
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The CPAP sits on the night stand next to our bed in the 3685---there is a 110 wall recepticle next to the night stand hence, no problem plugging it in.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #28
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well let me join this club. Have been on Cpap for 5 years or so. I sleep on the front closet side of the bed and I put the machine up on the shelf in the closet.
I could not use the mask. I fight it in my sleep so the doctor put me on the nose pillows and been sleeping like a baby ever since. Don't have any of those air leaks blowing in the eye or face.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #29
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Another CPAP user. Been using it for about 10 years. Mine goes on the floor alongside the bed. There is an outlet right there. CPAP and outlet move in and out with the slide. My CPAP is about 6 years old and only required a standard 12V cigarette lighter cord to run off the battery. When needed, I run the 12 V from the outlet under the TV.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
Just a question for you CPAPers...

Did all of you have a Dr. prescribe this machine or did any of you simply purchase one and try it?

Dr. wants me to do some sleep studies. Problem is, tests would be over an hour away. Not too nice for getting up for work in the AM.

My Dr. believes I suffer from Sleep Apnea, but prescribed the tests.

Can I simply buy a CPAP and try it?
Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #31
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Do you have insurance? If you do do it. I know of a place you can buy one for around $550 but what do you set it at? That is the most important part of the machine. My setting is not right for everyone. Besides whats it worth? This is truely a sreious thing I believe. Changed my life. Go in on a Friday come out on Saturday.JMOP
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #32
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
JennyKraig,

The sleep study is important. It will determine if you DO have sleep apnea. I went in around 7 PM. Did the paperwork. Got comfortable and watched TV. Around 9/10 PM, I got "wired up" and lights out. Slept until 1 AM when nurse woke me up and while still wired up, she attached the CPAP mask and back to sleep. 5/6 AM woke up, disconnected, showered and went home after free breakfast.

You really should have the sleep study. Your doc needs that info to determine how to fix your problem.

Good luck.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #33
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Jerry,

In my opinion, your doctor is correct. It is not simply getting a CPAP machine. Each of us have differing levels of blockage and the sleep test will determine the pressure required to keep your air way open. This is not something that should be left to guess work or chance. I use 7-1/2 psi, but others on the forum have spoken of using 14 psi.

I am as likely to take a shortcut as anyone, however, it is always at messured risk. Heart health, blood pressure and other related issues make getting a breathing suppliment too risky for guess work. Getting the right tool to do the right job is basic.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #34
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
If you have severe sleep apnea the difference can be huge in your every day life. If you don't then you know. I have severe sleep apnea( not my description my doctors) My body and brain thought I was sufocating 470 times in 2.5 hour period of sleep.Which was not good sleep.Now I sleep all night(unless granddaughter is in bed with us)and get a great night and a good quality REM sleep. BIG change for me. I am a believer!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #35
Montana_6099
Established Member

M.O.C. #6099
That's what I needed to know! THanks everyone! I guess I didn't realize there were different 'settings' for the machine.

I'll get on the phone w/ the Dr. today and get this going.

Thanks again!
Montana_6099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #36
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulations!! That's a wise decision. You will not be sorry and neither will your spouse.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #37
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Just went to the doctor yesterday and he was a "happy camper"---seems I've lost a little weight, more than our weight goal loss program, and he attributes this as an effect of sleep and metabolism. Bottom line, the CPAP allows me to sleep better and so, the metabolism function works like it was "engineered" therefore I burned off a few of the calories that were hangin' around the equator...! Think my machine measures the cfm not the psi---could be wrong, but its set @ 10.5. I like the start-up feature---hit the "on-button" then the "start-up" button so it drops the cfm to 4 and gradually climbs to the 10.5 factor. So, I guess there are many benfits of going through a sleep study and getting diagnosed; some of which we really do not think about until explained to us by our personal physicians.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #38
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The pressure is measured in inchs of water.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #39
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Yes, in inches of water. This gives a more precise measure of pressure than psi or inches of meercury and CFM would vary significantly as you breathe in and out.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #40
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Can I get my two bits in on this subject?
I went in for my my sleep test about two years ago and the results showed that I stooped breathing about (don't remember the exact number) 13 times an hour but my insurance company said I had to stop breathing 15 times an hour for them to cover my machine. The Doctor went to bat for me and the insurance company decided to pay for it.

I put mine on the floor next to the bed on our 2980 and plug it into 110vac and it is very quiet, the only thing that I hear is the air being released abound the mask when I exhale. If I have to get up during the night I can reach down and push the off button, disconnect the mask from the hose and get up to pee.

I use the nose only mask but ever few months I have a problem with it rubbing inside my nose so have to switch to one that just covers my nose. I guess that I am lucky as I used to drool while sleeping but with the mask on I keep my mouth shut most of the time. Just the way my wife likes it.

The unit that I have operates at 12VDC from a 110VAC source so if I need I can just plug it into a 12VDC outlet in the closet and it will work fine. We rented a house boat for a week with friends and both of us used our machined every night with out any problems. But did I mention that we had 8 6VDC golf cart batteries to draw from.

I still have some problems with the unit during the night but my wife is now sleeping a lot better with out my constant snoring.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote