Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Factory tour again

We took another tour of the Montana plant last Tuesday (our fifth).

Here are a few things that we noted.

Rear window is now one piece side to side.

Propane tanks now have a second intermediate pressure regulator on the cross over pipe from the far side tank.

New design for counter tops and sinks, revised sink lids.

Ladder is now on the "door side".

Heat in bathroom.

Cedar lined closet in bedroom.

Central service panel for water connections and drains, also a master switch for DC power is in that panel.

Awning arm moved to give a little more coverage of entry door, but now the handrail must fold forward to accomodate that change.

And somewhat to my surprise, the tour guide indicated Cougars where "part of the Montana family", meaning Cougar came under the same VP as Montana and Mountaineer.

Still producing at full capacity with a big backlog.

Cambridge will not return, but something else will come in at a level between the Montana and Cambridge. According to guide, the remaining stock of Cambridges have suddenly become a very hot item and are selling very well.

That's about all I can remember just now.

On edit:
Just remembered one other thing, the grapics are now in shades of brown.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most of those things we saw at the RV show in Febuary..Don't remember the cedar lining in the closet and did not notice the awning arm moved.Will check that out when our 3400 arrives.. Cougars being part of the Montana line along with the Mountaineer will insure Montana's claim to the best selling fifth wheel.Although Montana and Moutaineer WERE under the same umbrella when Jeff Rank was there but they split when he left and each one was seperate..Wonder if they are still reorganizing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Thanks for those updates OntMont. Some of those improvements are much needed. As a strong enough woman, I can hardly lift those sink lids, and I freeze in bathroom. Central service panel is a definite plus, we saw that in the Landmark, very nice.
What is the reason for the ladder change I wonder. Makes you wanna upgrade already even though we just purchased in September/05.lol. Now Dennis is drooling over the new GMC/Silverado with new tranny and more torque... oh my...
thanks for the info. Diane
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, I know, those '06 Silverados are really tempting, especially since new emission standards for '07 may make future models less desirable.

The only explanation given for the ladder change was to avoid the electical outlet, but that did not seem like a good reason to me.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
OntMont thank your for an excellent writeup. What do you mean by the counter and sink are different design. Can you describe please?

RichRAA, I do not understand what you mean about Mountaineer being separate when Jeff Rank left. Before he left Mountaineer graphics started saying Montana, Mountaineer Edition. That sounds more integtated to me. Did I miss something. Changes do not happen overnight.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, I'd be interested in your take of the counters and sink, too, if you were able to see the differences. Sometimes in those tours you are told about a change but don't actually see it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They were under the same umbrella when Jeff Rank was there He was head of Montana/ Mountaineer.When he left the divisions were split and there was a seperate head for each division, As I recall??? Now that maybe Couger is in the same divison I don't know..will that mean we will see Montana, Couger Edition ??? It all sounds like a marketing ploy.I have never been able to find a organizational chart of Keystone to find out who is in charge of what. Perhaps it changes to fast to keep a up to date chart. Don't think it will make any difference to the consumer unless they form a Quality control Division.

Noted that our last factory tour was Oct 4, 2005.At that time the divisions had split . Aram..can't spell or pronoumce his last name,
was The Montana guy and don't remember who the Moutaineer guy was. It was posted on the forum...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
Thanks for the update on the new Montana's. I will be very interested to see what new model comes out from Keystone to replace the Cambridge. I still think Keystone did not give the Cambridge enough time on the market, but maybe the Montana's will get the full body paint from the Cambridge. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
In regards to the counter top, seems like ours has a little different type of trim design and especially around the sink. The sink had two different types of cutting boards - one with a lot of slots and was cut to fit the sink and the other did not have any slots and was cut to fit the sink also. Then the counter tops went over top of them - flush with the rest of the counter.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I do like the new graphics. I think they look better than the previous ones. I wonder if they will ever go for Corian countertops. I did like the pictures on the front kitchen. Hope Keystone looks at that too. Anyway, 3 more yrs till retirement and I am sure we will update by then.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

In regards to the counter top, seems like ours has a little different type of trim design and especially around the sink. The sink had two different types of cutting boards - one with a lot of slots and was cut to fit the sink and the other did not have any slots and was cut to fit the sink also. Then the counter tops went over top of them - flush with the rest of the counter.
Phill, can you take a picture of your counter top and post it?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The countertops are visually the same to the ones we curently have ... simulated corian about 1/2 the thickness though. Directly beneath them are white slotted teflon cutting boards the same shape at a thickness to make the simulated corian tops flush with the counter top as we currently have. I guess if people were using the old style tops as cutting boards, they we getting pretty scratched up. Last spring,I just dropped by Wally World and got a small teflon cuting board to cure the situation.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
dsprik - you wanted a picture. I will try - not to hep on transfering pictures to computer.
Can someone give me a little help in that department. I have it downloaded on my computer C drive right now.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #14
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Maybe I got this figured out.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You did a good job. The covers are thinner so that makes them not so heavy. Interesting little improvement.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Phill,
Thanks for the pic, another interesting change in the ever changing world of rv's.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Maybe I got this figured out.
Good job on the pictures, that is exactly what we saw on the tour. (Picture is worth a thousand words.)

Note also that the top covers have crescent shaped hand holes to pick them up with, instead on the round finger holes that we have in ours. (Acutally we never use our covers, don't even take them with us. These seem much more practical).
Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use our covers all the time. Great way to hide dirty dishes when company is coming! LOL We have, however, never used them as a cutting board, we have a small cutting board for that purpose. It stands up beside the stove which helps keep the splatters off the wall.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, are you talking about your cutting board, or the sink covers as a stove splatter protectant? That sounds like a great idea.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, my guess is that she is talking about a cutting board. The thin ones would be a lot lighter than those heavy sink covers. We don't use ours either. Good idea about taking them out, John.

We put up a piece of plexiglass on the wall next to the stove to protect the wall from splatters. It just hangs there on four little pieces of velcro.

Nice job with the picture, indy roadrunner. Now if they would just put in a faucet with a sprayer so we don't all need to replace the original.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote