Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
3400RL vs 3500RL

In the process of making a decision to buy either a 3400RL or 3500RL. Would be interested in hearing use comments about the merits or demerits of each. Pulling with a Ford F250 7.3 Diesel Supercab with long bed. Two seniors will be the primary usage for weekends in the NW and 3 months in SO AZ. Occasional visitors such as rapildy growing grandchlidren. Oldest which is 16 already. Fairly new to RV'ing. Any suggestions and use experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
cjenks234
Established Member

M.O.C. #4868
Dean the sad thing is that they are both great units. We too had a hard time picking one over the other floor plan. My wife really enjoys the view from the kitchen area and the openness. Like I said, both are great.
cjenks234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Wow Dean, that is going to be a hard choice. Looking at the floor plans I would have to guess that the decision will be made based on the kitchen.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I appreciate all the helful comments. The biggest issue on our minds about the differences is whether the 3500's closed in living area will over time start to close in on us. As opposed to the more open 3400 concept. We see an advantage to the 3500 for guest privacy but see it as a disadvantage for openess.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We ordered a 3400RL.Our decision was based on where the washer/dryer closet is in the 3500 and the size of it.We preferred the washer/dryer up front and the extra storage space if the W/D is not installed right away. Other than that..either one would have done the job for us...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
The 3500 is a very nice trailer but it does seem like it is very dark and close to everything. The 3400 is more open and I like the fact that you have the large rear window...Makes the whole coach seem huge. My friend said that my trailer is nicer then her house. That really made me feel good because she has a really nice house.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think this decision would be much like the one we mention for advantages when in tow mode. Pick the unit for the time you will use it the most. Otherwise if it will be just the two of you most of the time, then the openness of the 3400 is advantageous. If you will have guests most of the time, then the privacy in the 3500 may be your unit.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Yep, That is the kind of logic we are starting to use also. The primary usage will be for just us two senior adults. Only occasional visitors. I guess we need to consider our normal needs more important than the older girl's grandchildren's privacy desires. I don't recall them contributing to the purchase price! :-) As also was pointed out the Mrs likes the kitchen layout and W/D location better on the 3400RL. We don't like the bathroom sink layout very much though. It's kind of like the floor plan designers forgot to put it in and realized it too late. Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Hopefully going to an RV show tomorrow to try to come to a conclusion soon. Biiiig decision. :-)
Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dean,
We have had no problem with where the bathroon sink is located. And we lived in our unit for 9 months and I had to go to work everyday. I think you just learn to adjust. I agree with your Mrs., the kitchen is great. We also like the fact that the TV can be viewed from the dining table.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
Welcome to MOC! We are using a 2500HD D/A as a TV for a 3400rl. One consideration also is the pin weight and that you are using a 3/4 ton truck. Check out the topic of tow vehicles for a lively discussion on the merits of 3/4 ton vs 1 ton vehicles. There are some very good points to consider and a lot of these folks are pretty smart and experienced. Sometimes there is more than one correct option it just comes down to what your needs are and how much you can spend. Bill
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Two reasons I really like my 3400RL over the 3500RL is the openess of the layout. I had 12 people stay a weekend and I was amazed at how well it worked out. The second thing is I like the washer/dryer closet. I do not want a combo washer/dryer unit that would have to be located in my bedroom. I prefer the stackable washer/dryer and the additional storage room the washer/dryer closet offers. As far as a tow vehicle, my 2500HD has be a solid platform without any trouble in the mountains or the flats. Just my thoughts....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have the 3400RL, we love the kitchen layout. I cook a lot and fruequently have guests for meals, so works well. We every so often have our son his wife and 2 and 4 year old come and spend a couple of weeks with us and we have found we really have no problems as far as space is concerned. We shower before breakfast, they shower after breakfast and use our bedroom to dress in, works well and as you say they disn't pay for the 5er. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Wow: Thanks for all the helpful comments. Spent the day trying to learn more and at least made some progress on our decision. The 3500RL has been ruled out primarily because of the closed in feeling but the comment about the W/D closet location, we had missed and the Mrs didn't like that location on the 3500RL at all. So I thought we then were down to the 3400RL, except we also looked at a 3475RL today. The kitchen is less attractive except for some pots and pans storage she likes but realizes there is less overall storage in the kitchen. But is a bit attracted to the what seems like even more open feeling in it. I was attracted to it a bit due to the fact the 3475RL has a lighter dry weight, a higher carrying capacity, one less slide and is slightly less expensive. But the hitch weight is higher. I also like that it is a bit shorter but not by much. What are we missing between the two? Positives vs negatives?

We were quoted some very attractive prices on both today, with no high pressure garbage that we have had to deal with elsewhere. There is one issue that we are now confused about. Previously we had been conditioned that the Gel Coat over the fiberglas exterior was very desireable if ever the outside skin needed to be repaired. This particular dealer wasn't pushing it like all other dealers. He didn't recommend it because of the added weight and that repairs can be seen with or without the gel coat. Now we are also confused about the added weight of the gel Coat. The Brochure states an add of 600lbs weight but we compared identical units in the lot with and without gel coat and it appeared to only change the weight 200 lbs. Something doesn't compute! Help???
We also learned about the differences between the early 2006 models vs those being built now. Doesn't appear to be a Retail price change but several features have been added in the Customer Convenience Group including the new front cap with mirror, MORyde suspension and Central Exterior Convenience Center. Not sure how that got added w/o a retail price change from the 05 price list. Sure glad we have learned this as we have seen both versions for sale. We like the new features. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We researched the gel coat weight issue when we were ordering our 3400Rl..The added weight is NOT 600lbs but according to Keystone reps 200lbs added weight.The dual pane windows are also about 200lbs added weight. Do not let the weight issue keep you from purchasing either option if you want them. We also got a quote before the new options went into effect and saw no price increase when we actually ordered. Good timing I guess. We had wanted the 3670 because of its open floor plan but they stopped making it. The 3475 is very similar with the open floor plan. We did not get it because we will be spending MORE time in the unit and WANTED the extra room the extra slide offered.It was our thought that if you are going to be living in these things for 2 or 3 months at a time we wanted all the space we could get. Helen walks around with a tape measure in her bag to measure counter space and storage space. After the 3670 was discontinued the 3400 "measured up"
Take your time..It only took us 3 years to make a choice.Had we known about this forum it would have cut that time down a lot.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
When the time comes to order a new Montana there will be high-gloss on mine for sure. I really like the look and finish of the high-gloss. From what I have learned from the folks on this page, the high-gloss cleans up a bit easier as well. While I dont have the high-gloss, I still get compliments on how good the coach looks. As Rich stated, just figure out which options work well for you and go for it!!! You cant go wrong with a Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote