Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Roof Maintenance

Brought my 2005 unit into the dealer for the first annual maintenance and to have the roof "done". Guess, as a newbee I did not ask the right questions. Apparently dealers don't wash and reseal the entire roof. They inspect and repair the seals around pipes and wherever something protrudes through the roof, and the rubber roof seams. It was my fault for not asking enough questions, but other first timers should take note. Make sure you understand in detail what the dealer includes in his service. They don't give you a brochure explaining the services.

Now I need to clean and reseal the roof. I am interested in what others do for this process. What cleaning products do you experienced owners use for washing and sealing your roof, and how often do you do it? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dawn dishwashing liquid, go to dicor's web site and read.

Also, read the archives and such, via search engine on top of page. It has been a popular subject in the past.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Doug, my unit is 7 years old this month and my roof looks like new. I rinse it off with clear water each time before washing the unit. Twice a year I get up there with a 5 gallon bucket of water mixed with a little dishwashing liquid and a sponge mop, then rinse. Last year for the first time I used Thetford Rubber Roof Cleaner & Conditioner on it, but it didn't show a drastic improvement. Last year was also the first time I've had to reseal any caulked seams, and then only in a few locations around vents. The manufacturer of the roof material recommends Dicor Lap Sealant, which is what I used. I should mention that this rig is kept in covered storage December through March which may have an effect on my good luck so far.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use Thetford's Rubber roof cleaner and conditioner twice a year on my roof. It brings it back to a nice white state, sure does look good when I am done. I am curious as to why your roof would need to be resealed only being 1 year old?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Could be I am using the wrong term - resealed.
Reading the responses I believe I meant washed & conditioned.
My dealer said I should have the roof inspected every year to make sure all the protrusions are properly sealed.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I use car wash detergent, I fell that that soap will not strip the wax off the side of the trailer like others might. Waxing is way to hard a job to do!
Dicor web site says to "Periodic Clean 4 times a year". This will help with controlling black streaks on the trailer sides. I then use 303 Protectant to "seal" the roof.

Dicor web site http://www.dicor.com/

"CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof."
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

I use car wash detergent, I fell that that soap will not strip the wax off the side of the trailer like others might. Waxing is way to hard a job to do!
Dicor web site says to "Periodic Clean 4 times a year". This will help with controlling black streaks on the trailer sides. I then use 303 Protectant to "seal" the roof.

Dicor web site http://www.dicor.com/

"CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof."
You have to be careful with most car wash detergents. A lot of them contain petroleum products. Dawn dish soap has been found to be best for me.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
According to Dicor (roof mfr) rep. at the Great Lakes rally last fall, you only need to keep the roof clean, and inspect for potential points of failure. Washing with simple dishwashing liquid e.g. Dawn, or Dicor's proprietory cleaner, is the only required service, no sealant is needed. Dicor's main concern is to keep cleaners, and other substances of unknown composition, off their rubber roof material (even those sold by others for rubber roof material). Absolute no-no's are citric based cleaners, and petroleum based cleaners.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks for the tip, I use Blue Coral and talked to tech and said it contains NO petroleum solvents. Plus said it will not strip wax, I asked about Dawn, and it will strip the wax off cars or other surfaces. He also said DO NOT use any petroleum solvents on any car surfaces.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Thanks for the tip, I use Blue Coral and talked to tech and said it contains NO petroleum solvents. Plus said it will not strip wax, I asked about Dawn, and it will strip the wax off cars or other surfaces. He also said DO NOT use any petroleum solvents on any car surfaces.
I'm not sure where that tech got his information about Dawn. We've used it for years and never noticed any stripping of wax off our rig or truck. As for Blue Coral, I've used it also and have not noticed any stripping of wax. However, I would be very careful not to use it on the roof!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Thanks for the timely tip!! I have been on the roof a couple of times this winter cleaning out the leaves that get stuck in the fantastic fan, and have been wondering about what to use for cleaning it before we leave at the end of April.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I use Thetford's Rubber roof cleaner and conditioner twice a year on my roof. It brings it back to a nice white state, sure does look good when I am done...
I don't know, Dave, (and I know you are going to wonder why this was the first thing that popped into my head...), the downside is that the nice white roof might be easier to spot by police helicopters? Maybe a nice "camo" roof would be in order for some of us?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'm with Montana Sky. I use Thetfords at about the same intervals as he suggested. As I have 'boasted' several times on this forum, I give that treatment the credit for the fact that in our four years of ownership of the Montana, we have never had "black streaks" on the trailer sides.

If I'm going to climb up on the roof and go to the trouble of cleaning, the cost of the 'treatment' is the easiest part of the operation.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
David, do you use the same Thetfords cleaner on the sides that you do on the roof?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:43 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well on our last TT we NEVER did anything to the roof except wash it with common old dishwash liquid, whatever we had at the time and had no roof problems and it was outside 24/7/365 The roof was not pearly white but who is looking at the roof other than low flying aircraft.We had many reps tell us at the RV shows we worked that the roof needed no special treatment.That is why they are warrantied for 10 or 12 years. However whatever you do can't hurt(unless you use some nasty stuff) and will be good for the roof cleaning products economy.Since we can get up on the Montana roof we may do a bit more cosmetic maint on it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
No, to dsprik. I should have been clearer about that. Keeping the roof clean and free of the results of oxidation is what prevents the 'black streaks'. I use an "RV wash and wax" on the total trailer, and wax only the front cap. I know it would be good to wax all over, but I haven't the energy or devotion for that. I am thinking of waxing the back cap now after 4 years of ownership.

Waxing the front cap is important to make it easier to clean off the bugs.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, David! BTW I'm going to have to lean towards your way of thinking. I am cheap, but I'm going to have to develop the vocabulary of "Hire it done"...
Old 03-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave~ dsprik
I know you can do the rv roof. I start upfront and work my way back, usually takes about 2 hours and that is with my bad shoulders. I think I will stick with my clean white roof. =) You know how anal I am about having that coach looking as good as possible. Just hope the arms/shoulders will be able to keep it up...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm not going to agree with your self analysis, Dave, because you're a friend of mine. =)

I'm sure I'll do as much as possible on my rig myself. Hope you are recovering from your surgery in good shape.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave
The left shoulder is healing nicely, thanks for asking... I will be going back the end of April to have the right shoulder done. I am hoping things go as well for that one. The surgeons say this should bring some of the feeling back into my hands, but I am going to have to find a new job. After 11 years of running a grocery store the heavy manual labor side of the job has sure taken its toll on my body. I can only hope the next journey in my life is bigger and better...