Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #21
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We could help with a relay after June of this year. Don retires in June. If anyone is making a list, include us.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #22
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
John
This is a wonderful idea. My truck is ready to "rock and roll" any time and I'm willing to do what ever to help these folks. Just let me know. I would be good to get out of the snow and cold of northern Michigan. These folks will be in our prayers.
Semper Fi
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #23
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Great idea, I would be willing to help for any similar situation west of Denver.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
If the need ever were to arise in Montana going anywhere in the western states I would be more that happy to help. We were almost in that same position when Paul decided to take the Monty down to Ca. for our friends funeral. The day before he was to leave he said he wasn't feeling well, said he had a real bad headache. The next morning was when he had his stroke. Thank GOD that he didn't get out there on the road. God works in mysterious ways doesn't he. We are praying for that family. Let me know if there is ever a need for our assistance. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #25
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I should be able pick it up between Roanoke Va and 1-64 and take it into Richmond as long as it is after April 8th and no other out of town meetings come up. I could go to the in-laws in Roanoke the evening before, take it to Richmond the next day and then head back up into Northern Virginia.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #26
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I think this is a great idea. We are available to help in the North Fla/South Ga area whenever we are at home. When we are on the road, we can help wherever we happen to be.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #27
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

Lets not get the cart before the horse, first we need to establish a list of logistically located volunteers. I would think there is at least one shade tree attorney out there...
Well I am a bit more than a "shade tree attorney". I am a real live practicing one. I am licensed in Maine only and my advice is limited to what I understand of Maine law. I do have a lot of experience in high profile volunteer type work. I started and ran a volunteer ambulance/rescue for 18 years, volunteer fire fighter, volunteer first aid instructor and a whole bunch more that I don't need to bore you with.

I have a balloon on my insurance coverage of 1 million. Doesn't cost much and covers a whole lot. I would require a release of liability from the owner before I took either TV or trailer. I would also like to see proof of their insurance. I want their insurance card and registration with me and perhaps written authorization to have the vehicle as well.

Having said that, if I borrow my neighbors truck, my insurance covers me. YMMD so check your own coverage. If I rent a car, my insurance covers me. I think you would be insured under YOUR OWN policy but state laws differ. Ask your own agent.

I would not accept ANY reimbursement. You are close to the line on compensation and it is a chance I would not take. You MIGHT have DOT issues, i.e. must you stop at weigh stations, keep a log, get fuel stickers etc.? As far as I am concerned, if you volunteer you volunteer, plain and simple. Although I do not know of anyone ever being prosecuted, the Coast Guard used to say that if you took someone fishing on Coast Guard protected water and they paid for fuel, you needed a captains license. They have backed away from that position but the thinking gives me pause in this area.

Carol,

My understanding is that Good Sam takes the position that they simply publish a list of people willing to help in some capacity (and they don't say what that is) and then people make their own deals. I did hear of one instance where a Standby Sam hauled a 5ver about 500 miles from his home so a woman could stay near her husband in the hospital. About two weeks later he went back and got it. He had never met the people involved before and it was all volunteer.

If this group has additional specific questions I will try to answer them.

Stay well and be safe

David

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David,

GREAT POST and VERY HELPFUL DATA!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 AM   #29
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
DAVE - THANK YOU FOR THE POST. THAT IS WHAT WE NEED, IS HELPFUL information that might allow volunteers to do something for a fellow RVer with out getting so complicated.. I agree with you this would have to be a complete VOLUNTEER situation, no pay. The warm fuzzy feeling you get after you do a friend a favor is payment enough. WHo knows, I or you may need the same help a week from now.. THANK YOU DAVE
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:28 AM   #30
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Outstanding Dave, makes everything crystal clear. Friends don't charge friends for help. Remember,,"Do unto others'''''''". I hope this will develop into a shining moment that we can all look back on some day and say,, Hey, I was a part of that.
In a troubled world this is an example of what the American Spirit is all about, helping those that need help. Not trying to be political, just damn proud to be part of a group like this.

John, please keep this thread going

God Bless you all
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live in Roanoke and can pull the camper from about 200 250 miles
south of Roanoke. I can pull it all the way to Richmond. I will supply the fuel I use and $200 to the total bill. I'm not worried about being sued, going to jail, for doing whats right, just tell me where to pick up the camper and when.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #32
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Guess what I just found. A new topic board--MOC HELPING HANDS. we are praying that Gloria's husband is getting better and of course still waiting to see if we will be able to pull her rig.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #33
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Hi John,
As you know I live in Overland Park and will be down at Melvern from 3/29 to 10/31 this year. I am ready to help if needed. Would be willing to pull up to 600 miles from our area of the country.
Have a great one. Call me when you are ready to go fishing.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #34
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
WELL IT LOOKS LIKE HELPING FELLOW MOC'S MEMBERS IS TAKING SHAPE THANKS TO THE MODERATORS...""""MOC HELPING HANDS""""" TOPIC BOARD - I THINK IT WOULD BE nice to make a list of Volunteers prehaps on the State/Stat's list with a V behind the members name that would volunteer and also his telephone number's. That way someone in need could go through the state/stat list and locate a volunteer near him... YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE..
JOHN H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #35
xea
Established Member

M.O.C. #5306
I think this is a great idea and I think it can work. My aunt was traveling with her husband in her motor home when he suddenly passed away. She couldn't even start thinking about driving it home. Several kind strangers helped her by driving her home in much the same manner you are talking about. It worked great with no legal issues. IMHO as long as the rig is insured the owner can sign a relese, there should be no problem. I wish I was in the area but I am in oregon or I would help out. I would love to do anything I could to repay those kind strangers that helped my aunt.

xea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think the relay idea is an excellent one! We would be willing to help in any way we can but our participation would be an ad hoc one. We are all over the country so will volunteer when the logistics work.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote