Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Fixed a plugged Black Water Tank

I thought this might be of interest to those who have had or might yet have a plugged outlet on the black water tank as I had.

While I don't know the reason (possibly not putting enough water in the tank the last time it was emptied or a gate valve not fully seated...whatever), but once it has happened, the reason doesn't matter. I have been at a Resort in Arizona the last 2+ months, but this time when I emptied (tried to) the tank, it suddenly stopped draining after the first surge. Somehow the solids must have rushed to the outlet of the tank and plugged it almost completely. My first try was to fill the tank completely to give more pressure....nope...still plugged, but now FULL! Time to contemplate after a few *&$%&&$, etc. Thought about calling a sewer pumper to "suck" it out...didn't want to spend the $,and didn't want to apply that much vacuum pressure to the system. Use a snake? NO WAY....unless as a last resort..since I would be shoving the snake up from the outlet. My next though was...backflush...but how?? Maybe by using the litte garden hose connector on the outlet cap, but again...what about catching the &$**?
Finally I went to an RV supply place and found a connector that incorporated the combination of a clear piece, a flush connection, then finally a gate valve just where the sewer hose connected. By attaching that...then backflushing...(keeping the end gate valve closed and also the gate valve at the tank closed, I ran water under about 65lb pressure into the pipe...forcing a bubble of air up the pipe....kept the water running to build up a good pressure, then pulled the gate valve at the tank...so the air bubble would force the solids from the outlet) To shorted the story, it worked to dislodge it temporarily and let some out, then plugged again. It took several repeats of the process, but finally ALL came loose! A simple solution to what could have been either messy or expensive. $35.00 for the drain addition instead of $100 plus for a pumper that could have damaged the system.

I found several other parts similar,but without the gate at the very end. For those interested, this item is made by CAMCO RV, "DualFlush Pro Revers Flush Valve" model number 39062. It can be seen in the following link:

http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...ProductId=2053

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow!! Neat solution to a really messy job. Good work and thanks for the post.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Looks like a very sanitary solution. I'll need to get one of those
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good post and that flush valve looks like something every RV could use. Thanks
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Hats off to you Karl. I had often thought of having this problem when experiencing a broken valve in our other 5th. I had seen this valve before and was curious if it would work with this sort of problem. Thanks to your demise I see that it will work. Saves me the &x*%#. I thank you for helping me keep my mouth clean. Great Job
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can purchase a Flush King from Camping World that will allow you to do the same thing.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
So it does work ! I made that sugestion on a post I did back I dont know when, but it was just as you did. I am courious about you having to push the clog a few times, but it did work. I purchased one of those valves but mine has the twist lock cogs on one end and the post on the other end, where I can remove it when not in use, and just have the clear elbow hooked up to the flexable hose.
I'm sure glad you got that main line stopage cleared, and I hope that never happens to me but I know now there is a way to unplug it.
Thanks for the info Karl.

TT2

Posted - Jun 06 2005 : 10:40:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why cant you use the hose conection on the clear elbow and with both of the grays closed and the dark opened force pressure ( Water ) up backword twords the dark tank the water pressure should be strong enugh to push your blockage back into the tank and help start the proper dran again, just an idea.

TT2
Old 03-13-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
A good site that has some answers about black tanks and flushing is All Pro Water Flo. They sell a flushing service,but the guy that started the business is a plumber and he has some good tips on his site.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote