Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Not quite a year old and slideout screwed up

We just got back from a trip to Florida. Parked the rig in our storage yard and went to open the slides for unloading when the smaller living room slidie with the entertainment unit wouldn't run out. When I very gently pushed on it the slide finally ran out but it started chewing up the carpet on one side. Went outside and found it slightly out of line with a tilt to the front.

What surprised me was what the dealer told me. The Keystone warranty only covers the slideouts for 90 days. I took the tour at last year's rally and sure got the impression the slideouts were major components of these rigs yet Keystone only covers them for 3 months? I wonder if the company really doesn't trust Lippert to make trustworthy equipment?

We're crossing our fingers the repair can be done easily.

BusyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Well our Friendly Lippert Rep. who drops in from time to time did say that they were new to the business.

Wishing you the best
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I`am surprized to hear that.As most of you know I had some major problems with my rig.One being the bed room slide didn`t sit flush when retracted.Keystone did fix the slide problem under warrenty.WAY past the 90 day rule.Now I also had the crack in the bed room slide area so maybe the two were related and thats why it was fixed.I really don`t know for sure.My slides work with a cable system,at leat the other 2 slides do.The bed room slide underneath is enclosed so I can`t see if it also has cables.But I would guess it did if the other 2 slides work that way.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We were told by our dealer we have a year on the whole unit ...I took it as on the slides also..I think I would call Keystone myself, as I cannot see why they would not be covered. Please let us know what you find out.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Our rig has the cable system also. But the bedroom slide has no cables it works by just using the ram.

Interesting stories and differences one gets when dealing with the Keystone folks! You'd think there'd be some consistency. I sure hope it is covered by warranty. Like you I was under the impression of the one full year for EVERYTHING! Let us know how that plays out.

Thanks and good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hamrod

Thanks for clearing that up with the bed room slide.Now that I`am thinking about it,if the bed room slide used cables I guess I would be able to see them like the other slides.Do you do any thing special on those cables?As far as lubing them?i was thnking of some WD40 on those cables.Hate to have one of those snap apart.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

Hamrod

Thanks for clearing that up with the bed room slide.Now that I`am thinking about it,if the bed room slide used cables I guess I would be able to see them like the other slides.Do you do any thing special on those cables?As far as lubing them?i was thnking of some WD40 on those cables.Hate to have one of those snap apart.
harleyrider,

Please don't use WD40 as a lubricant.... It is Water Displacement formula # 40, not an oil. It will leave behind a sticky film. You want to use a good "dry" (non-oil or petrolium based) lube made for the slides that won't attract dust & dirt. Also, I don't think you want to lube the cables themselves as such, you want to make sure the bearings in the pulleys the cables run through are lubed well.

Don't forget the slide rails.

I had one of the techs at Collier RV in Rockford Illinois show me how to maintain the slides. It was very much worth the effort to setup as the slides are the biggest thing I had to learn about with our Monty. We didn't have slides on our old TT.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Which Dealer did you buy your Mountaineer from, if I remember correctly it was Camping in Style. Why don't you call Outdoor Travel in Burlington and ask them how long the slides are guaranteed for. We have always found them to be very honest with their answers. Ask for Jodie in Service and tell her Diana Duddridge told you to call.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
BusyBees,

Call me at the office at your convenience. The number is 574-537-8900 ext 4303. I want to find out more about what happened. I believe there is an easy fix!

For everybody out there in "Montana Land". If your Cambridge, Montana, Mountaineer, Everest, Challenger, Sprinter or any other Keystone product that has a Lippert Components hydraulic slide sytem, it is under warrenty for five (5) years from the date the coach was built.

There is nothing that should come out of your pocket when it comes to repairs and parts replacement. Unfortunately, some dealers will make you pay the bill before they let you take the coach home. If you save the receipt and fax it to us with a copy of the R.O. or W.O. we will reimburse you if it is within reason. If a dealer ever trys to take you to the "cleaners" because of unnecessary time spent at their hourly rate, you have the right to refuse and tell them to call us. We have standard time rates set to do nearly anything imaginable to repair a system. The only thing we do not pay for is transportation for a service tech to come to your coach.

Remember, anytime any of you have questions, call the number above.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Thank you for the responses, everyone. We've been busy do our Spring cleaning so we haven't got the rig to the dealer yet. MIMF...thank you, I will call you tomorrow (Friday). Diana...thanks for the suggestion, I will call them to check their response but I will also phone Keystone.

I be sure to let you know how things went.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BusyBees, my understanding is that **adjustment** of the slides is covered under warranty for only ninety daysbut the slide mechanism has a longer warranty. So whoever told you that must have been confused or uninformed. When ours was new I had a list of small things to be fixed but nothing big enough to make me take it to the dealer before end of the season. I contacted our dealer and he said he would take care of the slide adjustment (one of the things on our list) during the winter, at our request, even though after the 90-day adjustment period. That's when I learned about the adjustment period warranty. I think I later saw it somewhere in the manual, too. My dealings with MIMF have been excellent so far so I think you'll find he'll do his best to take good care of you. Lippert seems to be working hard to attain the same reputation as Keystone for taking care of the customer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #12
Montana_3267
Established Member

M.O.C. #3267
we bought a new 02 and have had major problems with different things but have had to have all 3 slides repaired, because the slide bar was not installed during construction. they fixed them 2 times under warranty and they still crease our vinyl flooring and discolor our carpet. so now it is our problem, as we were told that at some point the owners have to take possession of the unit
Montana_3267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
To update....couldn't make a connection with MIMF to-day but I will try again Monday 'cause I know Lippert does stand by their products. I also had a problem with my landing gear transmission on this same trip. Got the trans and the motor replaced no problem. Lippert had the transmission sent to a dealer in Florida so fast I think they used the space shuttle. When the tech discovered the motor was also shot the company delivered it to my campground in under 48 hrs. It was quite simple to install and all is well.

I did reach Keystone today and as you all have surmised they will have the repair done under warranty.

May I also say we have just completed our first real "trip" with our RV. We travelled 6,000 miles and stayed in the rig just over 4 months. Yes, there were some minor problems but all in all we are very happy with our Mountaineer. And, of course, Lippert.

What I want to learn now is what I can do to keep my slideouts running smoothly. If I could meet MIMF in person I would probably want to but him a drink or two.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's good to hear, BusyBees! Thanks for the update.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
BusyBees,

You will not have to twist either one of my arms very hard for a drink or two. If you ever get close to Northern Indiana, you must stop by and say hello. And that invitation is open to any of you fine folks in this club. I can take a few minutes to shut off the phone and "shoot the bull" with the best of you!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote