Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
What is this?

OK. I need some help on this! I was taking a look under the oven to scope out the empty space, in anticipation of adding a hinged door to the front. This is a picture looking toward the wall under the stove. I assume that the pipe is the vent pipe for the galley tank. Toward the left in the picture, they is a uncapped pipe coming up through the floor. Any idea what this is? I hope that it is not an aborted attempt at adding the galley tank vent at this location! If so, the oders will vent into the coach. Any ideas before I tear out the underbelly?

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Mazeef,
It looks like to me it just a support to hold up the weight of the elbow. They probably used this instead of a strap. I don't think you have any worries.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by accuprep

Hi Mazeef,
It looks like to me it just a support to hold up the weight of the elbow. They probably used this instead of a strap. I don't think you have any worries.

Bill
Bill. You may be right, but this pipe is actually going through a hole in the floor, which it would not have to do, if it was simply used for a support. Also, it is a little hard to see, but this pipe is not touching the vent pipe. There is about 1/16 of an inch clearance. There is a screw going through the side of this pipe at floor level which appears to be there to keep the pipe from falling into the basement! I'm wondering if there is some need to vent the basement area!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi Mazeeff,

You have me stumped, I didn't know it went through the floor to the basement. Did you buy your unit used? If you did maybe the had some wires running through there for something. I can't imagine why they would put a vent through to the basement. What year and model is your unit? I'm suprised no one else has responded to your question yet. Maybe you can check back later this evening. I'm sure someone will pick up on this.
I am going to make a phone call to a friend to see if he knows what this is.
You really have me curious, my rig is a 2001-2955, I went out and looked and I don't have one in mine.

Bill
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by accuprep

Hi Mazeeff,

You have me stumped, I didn't know it went through the floor to the basement. Did you buy your unit used? If you did maybe the had some wires running through there for something. I can't imagine why they would put a vent through to the basement. What year and model is your unit? I'm suprised no one else has responded to your question yet. Maybe you can check back later this evening. I'm sure someone will pick up on this.
I am going to make a phone call to a friend to see if he knows what this is.
You really have me curious, my rig is a 2001-2955, I went out and looked and I don't have one in mine.

Bill
I bought the unit new, so no one but myself has messed with it. I don't think they intended to run wires through it, simply because the rest of the wires are run through crudely cut holes. It is just one of those Montana mysteries!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Tie a heavy nut or washer on a string and drop it into the pipe, you will then find out how far down the pipe goes and if it goes into a waste tank or not by noticing if the string is wet when you pull it back up.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Tie a heavy nut or washer on a string and drop it into the pipe, you will then find out how far down the pipe goes and if it goes into a waste tank or not by noticing if the string is wet when you pull it back up.
Good idea, but this pipe is right under the vent pipe, and there is only 1/16 gap between the two. Curiosity will likely get the best of me, and I think I'll open up the underbelly to take a look see.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
You have me curious about mine. Last winter we some times had a sewer gas smell in the kitchen, and not when my wife was cooking either. I sniffed all over under the sink etc. but never found the source, when I get time I will pull that panel and check it out.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jerryb

You have me curious about mine. Last winter we some times had a sewer gas smell in the kitchen, and not when my wife was cooking either. I sniffed all over under the sink etc. but never found the source, when I get time I will pull that panel and check it out.
On mine, I was able to pull a drawer next to the stove and look inside. Very curios.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:56 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Hi mike Just curious if you found out what this pipe is?
I'm going out to sanitize my fresh water tank and get ready for next weekend. I'll take a look and see if I have one in my 03 3255rl
Chris
Old 04-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
jerryb,

Just as a side note, If we were to have out units closed up (doors & windows) and we turn on an exhaust fan (bath, stove etc.) we can actually pull fumes up through the sink P-Traps from the holding tanks, causing the ordor in the rig. It bubbles right passed the water in the traps. I'm thinking if it happened during the winter this is possibly what happened to you.

Mazeeff,

Maybe you could discover something by closing your rig up and turing on some exhaust fans. Then see if any air of any sort is comming up through the hole.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #12
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
OK. I think Bill got it right in the 1st reply. It looks like it is a support for the vent pipe. I checked the rest of the vent pipes, and they all have strap supports. The reason for this pipe to go into the basement appears to be for adjustability. Can you slide the pipe up/down to snug it up against the vent elbow, and then secure it with a screw at floor level to secure it. Mystery solved, I think!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Thats a relief to hear that Mazeeff, I couldn't imagine them having a vent under the the cabinet from your dump tank. If anything a vent pipe should go out through the roof to the atmosphere. If it was inside you certainly would get gas, not only that if your tank became overfilled it would pour out on to the Monty floor and not backup into the sink. What a mess that would be.
Glad you searched this out Mazeeff.

Bill
Old 04-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, I put the door below the oven like you are proposing to do. It makes for a very good additional storage location for us. I got the idea from someone else in MOC. We discovered the bottom of the oven that's reachable in the new compartment gets hot to the touch. It does not heat the new storage compartment that we can tell, though. So we are careful not to stack things so they touch the bottom of the oven. It's not a problem, just something to be aware of.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote