Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Another rim upgrade question

I've been following a couple of threads here about tire/rim upgrades to try to find an answer to a related question, but have had no luck. So, here's the question:

When I got my trailer, my first stop was my local tire dealer. This dealer has always been fair, has many years experience in the tire business, and has always seemed very knowledgeable. I told him I wanted to upgrade the tires, and he recommended the Goodyear G614s. I told him I was concerned about the 110lb tire pressure since I wasn't sure what the rating of the OEM rims were. He said he would check the rims when he dismounted them, but he wasn't concerned about the rims, and he had several other customers running the G614s on similar OEM rims.

I've run the G614s on the OEM rims now for around 3000 miles now with no problems. But, I've been concerned because we never did find a max pressure rating on the rims.

The equipment is a 2015 Montana High Country. This is an aluminum (or alloy) rim. The rims are 16", 6 lug on a 5.5" spacing. The only rating figures on the rims are: "Max Load 3580 lbs". The other markings on the rim are "Made in China" (of course), PDW, and J2530, and 16x6J. I found what appears to be the OEM wheels on http://www.tredittire.com but there no specs listed for the rims.

Questions: Does anyone know the rim rating for this rim? Has anyone else run the G614s (or another 110PSI tire) on similar OEM rims?

Of the rim ratings I can find, there DOES NOT seem to always be a direct correlation between the max tire pressure of a rim and the load rating, i.e. - a 3580 lb max load rating does not always mean a 80 lb pressure, etc. Also - on rims advertised my many resellers, max rim pressure is never listed.

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It does show in the specs for your rig that adding the dry weight to the carrying capacity, subtracting the hitch weight, and dividing in two, you only have maybe 5165 lbs per axle, no where close to needing G range tires. With those weights, you could easily put on quality LT tires for a whole lot less and get excellent service and reliability from them. You would only need the G range tires if you were over 6000 lbs on the axles. I was not aware that they were putting on lighter wheels on these rigs. If the wheel was rated for the G range tires, it would be cast into the wheel 3750 lbs and 110 psi.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The fact that your rims are only 6 stud it would indicate you have 6000# axles. Rated at 3590# I would not want to put tires on that are capable of 3750# and 110 psi as in the G614's.

I also do not think that "G" rated tires are needed on a unit that has 6000# axles, as has been mentioned a set of good LT tires would be a good replacement for the Chinese made OEM tires. Many others have used them with great success.

You can crawl under the unit and read the label on the axles to confirm their capacity, they should be Dexter axles and will have a white decal on them with the designation of their capacity.

I sure am not a proponent of LT tires on heavier units but I believe in cases of lighter units a LT tire would be just fine and certainly better than the OEM.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:It does show in the specs for your rig that adding the dry weight to the carrying capacity, subtracting the hitch weight, and dividing in two, you only have maybe 5165 lbs per axle, no where close to needing G range tires. With those weights, you could easily put on quality LT tires for a whole lot less and get excellent service and reliability from them.
That's correct, rohrmann, and Iripguy. My axles are rated at 5200 lbs. (marginally rated in my opinion, but that's what Keystone is doing now). In fact, I tried to upgrade them when I bought the unit new, but that is not offered as an option anymore.

On my old 5th wheel, I ran Michelin XPS RIBS (80lb pressure E rated LT tire). I had great service from them. They were put on by this same dealer. But, when I went back to him this time, he recommended the G614 because it was a "tougher" tire, 12 ply instead of (8?). He still carried the Michelins but thought this would be better for the money. The G614 was actually LESS than the XPS RIB. So no, I didn't NEED a G rated tire, but thought I would go with a higher rated tire just for the overkill.

If I stayed with the XPS RIBS, I wouldn't be worried about the max rim pressure now. Anyone want to buy some lightly used G614s? (Just kidding). Maybe I should sell these and go back to a RIB instead of buying higher rated rims.

The bottom line is - I already own the G614s, so this is not a choice that is being made now. The only question is do I really need to upgrade the rims?

Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

I've been following a couple of threads here about tire/rim upgrades to try to find an answer to a related question, but have had no luck. So, here's the question:

When I got my trailer, my first stop was my local tire dealer. This dealer has always been fair, has many years experience in the tire business, and has always seemed very knowledgeable. I told him I wanted to upgrade the tires, and he recommended the Goodyear G614s. I told him I was concerned about the 110lb tire pressure since I wasn't sure what the rating of the OEM rims were. He said he would check the rims when he dismounted them, but he wasn't concerned about the rims, and he had several other customers running the G614s on similar OEM rims.

I've run the G614s on the OEM rims now for around 3000 miles now with no problems. But, I've been concerned because we never did find a max pressure rating on the rims.

The equipment is a 2015 Montana High Country. This is an aluminum (or alloy) rim. The rims are 16", 6 lug on a 5.5" spacing. The only rating figures on the rims are: "Max Load 3580 lbs". The other markings on the rim are "Made in China" (of course), PDW, and J2530, and 16x6J. I found what appears to be the OEM wheels on http://www.tredittire.com but there no specs listed for the rims.

Questions: Does anyone know the rim rating for this rim? Has anyone else run the G614s (or another 110PSI tire) on similar OEM rims?

Of the rim ratings I can find, there DOES NOT seem to always be a direct correlation between the max tire pressure of a rim and the load rating, i.e. - a 3580 lb max load rating does not always mean a 80 lb pressure, etc. Also - on rims advertised my many resellers, max rim pressure is never listed.
Your tire person made two major errors. He put tires on rims below the load & pressure rating of the rims. The rims as you describe them are good up to 80 psi. The G614 tires have a single approved rim diameter requirement, 6 and 1/2".

There are zero LRE tires suitable for replacing Original Equipment ST tires on 6000# axles.

Cal
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:There are zero LRE tires suitable for replacing Original Equipment ST tires on 6000# axles
Did you mean LR G tires on a 6000# axle?

Yeah, I was afraid someone would say that my rims were only rated for 80 lbs. I guess my only option at this point is to upgrade the rims to match the tires. Well, what the heck, it's only money.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You already have the 614 tires so just run them at a lower pressure, it won't hurt them
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you really wanted to do a real overkill upgrade, in addition to the new wheels, just put 7,000 axles in place of what you have, then you will have 8 lug axles with heavier brakes and can use the heavier wheels.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 AM   #9
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

Quote:
quote:There are zero LRE tires suitable for replacing Original Equipment ST tires on 6000# axles
Did you mean LR G tires on a 6000# axle?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The Goodyear G614 tire is only made in size LT235/85R16G.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...FU5o7AodXgYAGw

There are other options.....ST235/85R16E has 3640# of load capacity at 80 psi and the ST235/85R16F has 3960# of load capacity at 95 psi.

Cal
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
8.1al said:
Quote:
quote:You already have the 614 tires so just run them at a lower pressure, it won't hurt them
I had discounted that idea because 80# is only 28% of the 110# max. I didn't really think the tire could be run that low. But, I called the Goodyear Tech line this afternoon, explained my situation and asked that question. According to them, the tires can be run as low as 75PSI at reduced max load rating! Of course the biggest downside is increased rolling resistance (resulting in lower mileage). But it shouldn't damage the tire. They also referred me to a local dealer who wants to look at the rim - he thinks given the stamped max load rating of 3570#, that the rim could safely take more than 80 PSI. So, I'll get it by there Monday and let him look it over - could be I can run safely at 90 -100 PSI. The load rating for 90 # would be approx 3300#. Plenty enough for good headroom. Here's the Goodyear chart:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Maybe my first tire guy was right after all.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
rohrmann said:
Quote:
quote:If you really wanted to do a real overkill upgrade, in addition to the new wheels, just put 7,000 axles in place of what you have, then you will have 8 lug axles with heavier brakes and can use the heavier wheels.
Good idea, I might consider that when it comes time to replace the brakes. Last time I did brakes on my old trailer, I replaced the manual adjust type with an automatic adjusting type. Etrailer sells the backer plate complete with shoes, star wheel adjuster, all springs and levers for $50 or so per wheel. Can't beat the price and the ability to have automatic adjustment is great. My brakes never worked so well, and never had to be adjusted.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
For those of you interested and still following this thread, I met with the Goodyear rep this afternoon. According to him the rim rating is proportional and correlates directly to the max load capacity. The PSI rating is not always stamped on the rim, but the max load capacity is. The original rim provided with my trailer, has a max load capacity of 3580 lbs. so the PSI rating of that rim would be approx 105 PSI. The G614RST is rated at 110PSI and 3750 lbs max load capacity. Since that tire can be run as low as 75PSI without damage, that combination of rim/tire should be fine.

So, like both of my tire guys said, the rim would be fine running it up to that rating, but the tire would be de-rated by the same percentage, so at 100PSI, the load rating would be approx 3400 lbs, plenty enough for my weight load. A bit overkill for my trailer, but at least I won't have to buy new rims!