Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
Air Bags

the question to you all is how do you fill your air bags on you truck. do use the Schrader valve or do you use a compress and if you use a compressor which one i was going to upgrade so i did not have use the Schrader valve any more i was looking at the air lift 25592 load controller ii on board air compressor system this the one gage system the only thing that I'm not to sure about is that body roll on the truck because on this system the air bags are hook up together and filled the same so when going around a corner it would push the air out of one in to the other. any ideas

jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I have the Airlift compressor, have used it for several years and never been concerned with body roll, nor heard of it. If you had air suspension that may be a problem but not so much with springs. If you were hauling a topheavy load such as a camper that would be more of a concern than with a fifthwheel where the load is down low
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Im using the Airlift wireless air, air compressor system that has its own regulator for each airbag. Here are some quick pictures of my install.

http://www.5thwheeladventures.com/airbags.html

Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just use the regular connections and had them installed near the top of the bed rails. Don't change them often so to me it's not a big deal.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I have one Schrader valve installed aside of the DEF fill that is tied into both bags. I put 40 lbs in it and never change it towing or not. No problem with roll as the suspension is stiff. IMO a compressor and all that assorted paraphernalia that goes with it is overkill.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had bags on the last two TV, over 20 years and love them. I use one Schrader valve. Tried two at first but it is hard to get them equal. Would love an on board unit but it would be over kill. Air up once on trip but never think about it again.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I use a little portable compressor that happen to in the trunk of one of the used commuter cars I have bought over the years. You know the little ones you can buy at a garage sale for $3. I did cut the alligator clips off and put on a spare male trailer plug so I can plug it into the female plug next to the license plate. Both of my schrader valves come out about a 1/2" on each side of my rear plate. I keep the compressor in my aluminum tool box that I have behind the cab of my truck. I try to remember to let most of the air out of the bags as my truck rides a little rough with air in them.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
A little off topic here. But I had air bags on my last truck because of a little sag. After 2 years or so, the welds on the frame up front broke like it has been reported many times here. I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it up better than new (I hope). They also mentioned that air bags could have caused it or at least made it worse. Seems the air bags take the softer bounce out of the rear axle and therefore jars the hitch and the front end of the trailer.
I like this dealer and service, so I tend to believe them.
Sort of caught between a rock (rough ride and welds breaking) or a hard place (bottoming out and sag).
Anyway, for what it is worth....

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
Well I thank you all the information I guess I will keep the pump it comes with a gage so I think I will go with the cool factor I do like adding more to the truck cab it will look so cool on the dash
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

A little off topic here. But I had air bags on my last truck because of a little sag. After 2 years or so, the welds on the frame up front broke like it has been reported many times here. I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it up better than new (I hope). They also mentioned that air bags could have caused it or at least made it worse. Seems the air bags take the softer bounce out of the rear axle and therefore jars the hitch and the front end of the trailer.
I like this dealer and service, so I tend to believe them.
Sort of caught between a rock (rough ride and welds breaking) or a hard place (bottoming out and sag).
Anyway, for what it is worth....
This is why I do not run with very much pressure in my air bags. I run them at 10 psi or less without a load as this goes up when you add the pin weight to the truck. I like some bounce in the truck as I do not have a air ride hitch on the trailer.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have had air bags on my last 2 trucks and will never be without them. They are great when towing the Montana or even when hauling anything heavy in the back. I have 2 seperate air valves on my current truck, both mounted in the bed on the sides out of the way. Don't like them mounted on the rear bumper next to the license plate because someone could accidently step on them and break them off while climbing into or out of the bed.

On the previous truck I had them both connected to one valve and I could really feel the roll when going around corners while towing the Montana. Not a good feeling because the air would shift from one bag to the other. I will aways keep them seperate now as it is a lot more stable. I fill them before leaving home with my shop compressor to about 50 lbs. If I let them down during the trip while staying somewhere for a while I just stop at a gas station before leaving and fill them up again. When not towing or carrying anything I run them with about 5 lbs. of air. Never run them completely empty!

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
gar&lin
Established Member

M.O.C. #12171
I installed the bags and a compressor just before our last 2 week trip. The compressor was a life saver. The landing gear switch failed on the 08 Mountianeer a couple of days into the outing. I towed at 60 psi, then aired up to 90 psi to drop the landing gear with the pins. I blocked up to the landing gear pads and dropped the pressure to 0 and drove out from under the hitch (I chock the tires and engage the trailer brakes), then aired up to the recommended 5 psi. Did that for 4 moves before we got to an RV dealer that had a switch in stock. Also, I like being able to air down for side trips when the Monte is parked to soften the ride, then air up for the tow. Wrapping up that two week North Superior Shore excursion today... what a trip!

It turns out one of the legs has a bad spot. It bound the landing gear, causing the fuse holder to melt down internally, I found that only after I replaced the switch along with the wiring harness. I dropped the gear with the motor about 3 inches after I had the new switch installed while hooked up to the truck. With the weight of the rv off the gear I was able to extend the legs out of the damaged area. I've been able to use the gear since I extended it. I was told I'd have to find which of the two legs has the bad spot and replace it.

We towed with side gusts to 30 mph for a couple hours. I wondered if the sway would be lessened if I did not have the bags connected from one side to the other. I only noticed the sway in the strong cross wind, not a problem the rest of the trip.
gar&lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I wouldn't be without my air bags. I run5# when not towing and 40# towing. I have the AirLift with wireless controller. If the system should somehow slowly bleed down while towing the compressor will kick on and return the pressure to set point. I also have a shraeder valve next to the license plate. I suppose a fellow could rig a hose to it and use the compressor to air up other things. Are you reading this Oz?
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Love Air bags! had them on my F350 did not NEED them but they sure do make a nice difference I may put them on my new dually Too!...also for me just the outside air valves are good enough never saw a need for the cab controlled compressor
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
well got them on and i will tell you all that the ride is so much better