Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Home Theater Upgrade

The DVD player quit working in the factory Home Theater system during the first camping trip of the season in my '06 3400RL, so I replaced it with a Samsung HT-C550 5.1 Home Theater system I purchased from amazon.com. At first I was just planning on using the existing speakers but once I saw the speakers that were included with the Samsung unit were of a lot higher quality I decided to replace them all. The subwoofer was the easiest since it's simply velcro'd in place:

The rear surround speakers were then replaced:

The front speakers were a bit more challenging, the center speaker was quite a bit larger than the original. I removed the television and fireplace and did a bit of woodwork - fortunately the original pieces holding the speakers in place were all screwed together. I fastened the new speakers to the original shelf:

and then reinstalled the shelf back into the original location:

I then fabricated a lightweight wooden frame that I covered with speaker cloth that press-fits into place, covering the new speakers. I think it looks much better than the original:

The new system sounds far better than the old one! Total time to complete the project was less than 3 hours. The bedroom speakers are no longer connected to the system but I am planning on connecting them to the bedroom television in the future anyway.

Rick

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Very nice job! I did something similar to mine last year, but nearly as nice looking as that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rick that looks real good. I like the thought of hooking the BR speakers to the TV up there. have you thought of how to get the wires from the speakers to it. I have fished t-stat wire in the ceiling of a friends but not mine and I never used the front ones anyway.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Rick that looks real good. I like the thought of hooking the BR speakers to the TV up there. have you thought of how to get the wires from the speakers to it. I have fished t-stat wire in the ceiling of a friends but not mine and I never used the front ones anyway.
Bobby
No I haven't really thought about it much nor looked at what it would take. I believe others on the forum have wired them to the TV, I'll have to do a forum search prior to starting to see if I can find any pointers or tips...

Rick
Old 04-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
May I offer a suggestion? Upgrade the TV to a Flat Screen and save a lot of weight and you can put the Subwoofer right behind it (versus behind doors).
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

May I offer a suggestion? Upgrade the TV to a Flat Screen and save a lot of weight and you can put the Subwoofer right behind it (versus behind doors).
Haha, upgrading to a Flat Panel isn't going to happen until the existing TV dies. I don't need the extra storage space at this time anyways - but if I ever full-time then I'm sure I'll want it!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I changed both of mine to flat panel. I had the old analog and no tv unless we were on cable. I didn't believe how heavy the old TVs were untill I took them out. Plus I now have a 32" and a 22" I love TV.
RRman you are rite there is alot of room behind both TVs now.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
The main reason I upgraded to a Flat Screen as on my Volunteer jobs, there's no cable, but plenty of Over the Air HD Digital now, which the 05 Tube TV could not receive, and rather than add a converter I was able to justify the upgrade as the RV TV is now on Cable and upgraded our stick home Bdrm TV.
27" Tube TV weighs 68 Lbs and was a bear to move. 26" LCD Flat Screen weighs 13 Lbs. I did have to upgrade the LCD mounting as it was so light and took a tumble...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Regarding hooking up the bedroom speakers to the BR TV, we fished the wires from speaker to light to light to cabinet. Then we hooked up a 12 volt amplifier to the speaker wire and plugged the amplifier into the headphone out jack. We love it!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
RRman: May I offer a suggestion? Upgrade the TV to a Flat Screen and save a lot of weight and you can put the Subwoofer right behind it (versus behind doors).

I read that and said "Duh" I replace my TV with a flat screen last fall, have all that space behind it and never thought about moving the subwoofer down to that area......Duh. Thanks for the obvious tip that was not to obvious to me.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Very nice job.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Great looking work! If you are going to hook your bedroom speakers up to your bedroom TV, maybe put a simple flip switch and hook them both up. The wiring is already there. That way you could use it both ways. Just my $.02.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote