Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
Montana_1152
Established Member

M.O.C. #1152
DVD/Tuner/CD Player Problem

I've recently received my new 3295RK and have encountered a problem with the combination DVD/CD/Radio Tuner player and the speakers.

While playing CD's, I get sound out of the three front speakers (beneath the player) and the subwoofer, but not the rear speakers (over the couch).

While playing the stereo tuner, I get sound out of all the speakers.

While playing a DVD, I either get the background (mood) music out of all the speakers, but no voice sound, or voice and normal movie sound out of the front speakers and nothing out of the rear speakers. I've played with the audio function on the DVD player, but get either/or, not both. Additionally, if I turn the speakers on or off in the bedroom when a DVD is in, it cuts sound off everything and resets the movie to the beginning.

I have not checked the speaker wiring at the rear of the unit yet, but it seems I can get either/or with different settings, but not all. Please tell me this is not normal and I'd appreciate any suggestions to troubleshoot. Thanks for any help!!!

2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke Banks Stinger Plus
2004 Montana 3295RK (on order)
Murrieta, CA

Montana_1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:27 AM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Fulltimedreamer,
I appreciated the help on the DVD system. I took it in to the dealer only to fine out that it needed to be replaced. There was something wrong with the system itself. Thank for the infomation, I will keep it for future repferance.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

Let me preface by saying, I do not have the DVD/CD/Stereo that you have. I do have some experience with Dolby 5.1 stereo equipment. Let me see if I can add any light to the subject:

1. While playing CD's, I get sound out of the three front speakers (beneath the player) and the subwoofer, but not the rear speakers (over the couch).

In order to get sound from the rear speakers you need to have a Dolby 5.1 encoded CD. If the CD does not have a Dolby 5.1 logo on it you are not going to get 5 channels of sound plus the sub-woofer. (Dolby 5 = left, center, right, left surround, right surround. .1 = subwoofer - low frequencies and effects.) If your CD is Dolby 5.1 encoded you will get sound from all speakers including the sub-woofer.

2. While playing the stereo tuner, I get sound out of all the speakers.

Many FM Radio Stations include Dolby 5.1 signals in their programming, so this should give sound from all speakers.

3. While playing a DVD, I either get the background (mood) music out of all the speakers, but no voice sound, or voice and normal movie sound out of the front speakers and nothing out of the rear speakers. I've played with the audio function on the DVD player, but get either/or, not both.

When playing DVD's there are several variables to consider -

1. How is the DVD audio encoded - PCM (Stereo), Dolby 5.1 (Surround), Dolby Pro-logic (Surround), Dolby Pro-logic II (Surround)

2. From the Start Menu on the DVD you may need to setup the audio to match your particular DVD Player - In this case choose Dolby 5.1.

3. A DVD encoded with dolby 5.1 may not have continuous sound from the surround speakers. Surround is designed to give spatial qualities to the movie. For example:
You may hear a door open and close behind you.

You may hear an emergency siren in the right rear speaker, move to the right front speaker, move to the center, move to the left and then to the left rear.

You may hear ambient room noises, background conversations, etc.

I'm sure I haven't covered all the variables, but hopefully this will help you to understand Dolby 5.1 a little better. I would rent a good adventure movie with lots of explosions, etc. that is endoded with Dolby 5.1 and see if you hear the special effects in the rear surround speakers.

For more info on Dolby 5.1 and future audio encoding check out their website:

http://www.dolby.com/

Lamar & Debbie
Cumming,GA

'03 Mountaineer TT 335 RLBS
'03 F250 CC Lariat 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We have this Quest QR-1000 DVD/CD/Tuner/Surround unit, which is the "upgrade" version. I have not been able to find any information online about the unit or the company.
I will say that the Quest unit is JUNK. Volume control is a joke. My sub is too load no matter what I set the volume to, in fact the changes from +6 to -6 on the sub (the entire volume range) is almost unnoticeable.
I'm lucky in that the sound goes to the correct speakers, but I keep the volume at the lowest audible setting of "1" and even then it's just too loud. Zero is no volume.
When I get a chance, I'm going to look around for some name brand units that have a similar feature set, and I might even find a unit with a second speaker output for the bedroom speakers.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
LarryS

M.O.C. #1399
Hi Everyone, I am just sick of my Home Theater System. I have a 2004 Montana and it came with a KLH Digital DVD/CD Home Theater System model HA9000. The remote was bad and I had to try to find a new one. I found out that this model was discontinued ages ago and were sold at auction (guess we know who purchased them). The speakers in the unit are 4 ohm, which will require replacement if I replace the entire unit. Has anyone done this and if so, what kind did you purchase.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote