Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #21
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If the FF is "off" and you cut the black wire the FF will turn "on". I would suggest that you have something mis-wired. To troubleshoot, do this:

1) remove "splice" from black wire and make sure it is still in one piece. The FF should work as designed. If it doesn't (still running) then the black wire is probably severed. If working okay, proceed to step two:

2) re-splice a single piece of green (or whatever color you are using) wire to the black FF wire. Any changes? If FF still working okay, proceed to step 3:

3) strip the end of the green wire and apply to "earth" of your first switch. FF still working okay? Light switch working okay? If so, apply the green wire to each of your other switches, one at a time and check for proper operation of both FF and switch.

4) If all okay, then cut 3 pieces of wire and put spade terminals on one end and strip the other end. Combine the stripped ends to the stripped end of the wire from the black wire and use an electrical "wire nut". Attach the spade ends to the "earth" terminal of your switch.

BTW, there is a difference between "earth" and "ground". We want to go back to the "earth" side of the 12v panel, not to the frame (while frame would work, it is not the preferred way since you could get intermittence) or the "ground" side of the 110v bus bar. "Ground" could conceivably carry 110v back to the bus bar due to a fault and this could cause a fire if connected to 12v.

If you are still having problems, PM me and I will respond with my cell #.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks tons, Michael! I will run and pick up some wire nuts today and some splices (burned all of mine up yesterday).

I will get back to you after I follow your instructions. If I have further problems, I will start taking pictures, too.

My first thought is that maybe that splice on the black wire actually cut through the wire? That would explain why the FF turned on and wouldn't shut off. It would also explain why my FF panel went dead.

That would solve all my FF problems right there. Might resort to the old fashioned way of just stripping and taping the ground wires (I'm using some spare white wire for that) for the switches.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #23
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You burned up your splices? Ouch! That indicates to me that you went from "earth" at the 3-wire connector to the output side of the switch such that you had "hot" on the input side and when you flipped the switch to "on" you created a direct short. Looks like you need to get your switch out and look very carefully for the prong labeled "earth".
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry, Michael - I USED them all up - bad choice of words when discussing electrical stuff.

I had several errands to run today. Picked up some more components that I will use when I try tomorrow...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote