Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #21
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Nancy-
I know many Homeschooled people. They are they most caring, well thought of people I have ever meet. I know of some Homeschooled children, and I do not worry one bit about them socializing. I agree with your comments 100%. Encourage your daughter to keep up the good work, she is raising beautiful children with her talents and care.

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #22
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Thanks, Denise. No one talks about alternatives these days. I actually think a litte more competition with the schools would improve public education, not destroy it. I hope that is not considered a political statement!
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #23
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
I've been in education for 37 years. I taught grades 7-12 earth science, environmental science and junior high mathematics for 30 of those while retiring 1 year ago as vice principal of a high school. The best time I have ever had and enjoyed the kids through all of it! I replaced a long term maturity leave last year for 5 months. Now, I am pursuing the evaluation of school district that have not met state standards. I guess once education gets in my blood, I can't get in out!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
djdecock
Established Member

M.O.C. #3220
I retired 3 years ago as a middle school teacher. I taught grades 6-8 reading, English, computers, Montana, US and Canadian history at various times for 17 years. I started teaching when our third child was a sophomore in high school and I went back to college and received my masters in computers in education during two summers. I enjoyed the different grade levels and subjects throughout the years as well as each individual student. We are now enjoying our 8 grandchildren and all their activities.
djdecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
My Daughter is going to become a teacher and I am very happy with her career choice. Good teachers are special people that influence the world in a big way. Great countries have great teachers.

Unfortunately, duds get into the system too but they are a small minority and a good education system needs the ability to weed out the deadwood because a poor teacher can change the direction that a student is going. Hope this is not too political, but life and politics go together.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 AM   #26
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
The teacher's union is too strong to weed out the bad ones. When my daugher was in high school she kept coming home and telling me about a teacher who was saying very inappropriate things to a class of students with mixed backgrounds. I won't go into the details, but a friend and I approached the principal and then the superintendent of schools, and they both admitted he was a bad apple but they could not do anything at that point other than to file a complaint. It would take a lot more to get him removed. Just a few years ago I came across this man again. He was a wife beater and was on probation. He did finally get fired. HOWEVER, how many students did he damage before that happened? I cannot get more political than that, but it would help if the teachers could police each other. The parents have tried. There are many good ones and they cannot be happy about the bad ones.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:32 AM   #27
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Barbara is teaching at a Charter School. She was a high school English teacher in public schools for 10 years prior to that. She really enjoys the Charter school format and working with the students that just didn't fit the public school mold. Working one on one with parents and students has given her much more satisfaction than dealing with the political and discipline problems in public schools.

Charter Schools provide a combination of home school and small class instruction. Barbara has between 25 to 30 students enrolled. The students meet with the instructor usually once per week but can request special help when needed. The parents are much more involved in the day to day learning environment of their children.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
My wife is a retired teacher, she taught reading and Spanish in the elemetary school in a small town in the Panhandle of OK. I had to scold her in finally saying no to subbing. Wanted her to be able to go with me on our trailer jaunts. We still run into many of her students and are proud of what most of them have been able to do with their lives.

Vernon & Martha
02 F250 PSD 4x4
00 3280RL
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was an 8th grade and then high school science teacher. I loved my job. Got to burn and blow things up (of course that was before 9-11). Loved my job - then a bad superintendent turned the school district into a nightmare situation. I had more stress heaped on me in 12 months than I had had in 18 years. I was able to retire on disability and keep my sanity.

The greatest feeling in the world is having my wife told by a former student's parent in a grocery store or the mall that Mr Sprik really made a difference in their life. Of course, we're all in this vocation for the money, right??????
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #30
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Jan retired a few years back, after having taught elementary school in MA for 35 years. The only problem is I CAN'T RETIRE YET.... bummer. When I do, I intend on making up for all this lost time camping. I taught Sr. and Jr. high school for 14 years. If I had stayed in that, I would have been retired now also. Ahhh, the choices we make. Good luck.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #31
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Roy and Nancy-
Your story about your daughter's teacher is more common then you think. When my son was in 5th grade (He is now 25 years old). We ran into a situation somewhat like yours. Except the whole class of parents got involved. Out of 31 students, 28 parents showed up at a meeting expressing concern. We meet with the school board, and the teacher was "protected by the Union". The teacher got to decide to be put on Admin. leave, Have a sub, or continue on. The teacher decided to continue. Parents told the school board Super, that we lost our trust and a parent wanted to be in the classroom....he agreed. Sooooooo...all the parents got together and we scheduled a parent everyday, switching every 3 hours. Day two.... the teacher went to lunch and never returned.
It's confusing, because working with children is very important, it really does take a special kind of person. And usually only the ones with the patients and love for children will stay working in the field.......but every now and then....
As stated before. Parents really do need to be involved. Listen to what your child says, find out how they feel.......and when they come home saying "this teacher should be fired". Listen to them and find out why the child feels this way. (My son had express his feelings to me three weeks before I finally listened ..boy was he right).
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #32
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Marsha, who has been teaching 18 years, teaches fourth grade and I teach senior level English and journalism. Oh, I have been an underpaid public servant for 20 years.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote