Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Sagging Slide Topper

Camping World installed the 4 AE slide toppers on our 2006 3400RL. The one over the dining table and couch had a slight sag to it. The installer said that happens sometimes and it won't be a problem. The other 3 slide toppers are fine.

Now that we have had some rain - yes it rains some in the NorthWest it is really sagging and the water spills out over the entry steps. Not good.

Has anyone had similar problems. Should I complain to Camping World or AE? I was thinking of getting some pvc pipe and make a support for it. What do you all think?

-Dick

Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That topper is probably very long, like ours and prone to sagging in the middle. One simple solution is to buy a small beach ball, inflate it and put it under the end near the door. Probably not the solution that you're looking for, but it will keep you from getting drenched.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I would talk to CW first. You must be getting the same rain we are getting on the south BC Coast.
What about putting a rubber ball or something like that (the right size) on the roof of the slide & under the awning so the water runs the other way.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
There should be an adjustment that allows you to control the amount of tension; check with manual, product info on line or call CW. I think it is not uncommon for them to become slack after time.
Peace, Doug
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
My slide toppers do the same thing[sag], I just shut door when closeing slides, also I wait 1/2 way thru closeing so rest of water will drain.
never tried the ball thing but I will
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
Yep it is long. For now I cut a piece of styrofoam and put it at then end next to the door. It is only 7" high. I am just afraid that it will still sag in the middle and not run off at the other end. Might have to try a long pvc pipe on legs or something easy and light to put together.

Thanks for your repsonses.

-Dick
Old 11-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I made a tent out of pvc pieces and a long piece to push to the middle and it worked fine but I didn,t get toppers this time because of all the hassle with snow, rain, leaves and needles. Still had to go up and clean it most of the time before closing.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Our slide toppers were installed at the Montana factory, and they do the same thing. The large dining/couch topper also billows more in the wind. The other 3 are smaller, and do not have this problem.

I have been told that it is a fair amount of work to adjust the tension in these babies, and can in fact be somewhat dangerous as the mechanism is a coil type spring and can quickly get out of control.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Just don't forget to take the beach ball out before closing your slide...couldn't figure out why the slide wouldn't come all the way in!!! They now make a pvc pipe frame that goes in under the awning to elevate it all the way across. We have also seen a rope run inside pvc pipe to pull it down a little. It was fastened underneath the slide. It always seems to tighten up when dry.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
RickFox: You are right. When I got up there to check it out, I noticed the yellow tag warning about the high tension in the coil spring and that it should be done professionally.

Last night I got 10' of 1 1/4" pvc and put 3 legs on in each slightly shorter than the other so the water would go to the backside. The slide is 12' long so it doesn't quite make it all of the way but it helps. Because it stretched some, I will probably have to readjust the length of the legs as it seems to shrink back up and tighten again.

-Dick
Old 11-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
This is a very common problem and has happened on both of my units.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Dick - our last RV had the slide toppers installed by Camping World also, and they too began to sag not long after installation. We stopped in at another Camping World on our next trip and they were able to tighten them up with no question and no hassle. I would just take the unit in and ask them to take the slack out. I don't believe there would be any problem on their part. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
ronnilu, did the slide toppers sag even dry? Was it because of the rain stretching it? How long did you have the toppers before you noticed them sagging?

If the one topper doesn't shrink back to normal I will take it back for an adjustment.

-Dick