Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Steve, that is a seminar I would make sure to attend. I think that would be great if Dale could find the time show us how. What do ya think Dale?
Rick.

2005 Montana 3670
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Pullrite SuperGlide
Prodigy/Intella-Stop
Doran Pressure Pro
Ride Rite air bags
In-cab controller

Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #22
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I have also had a problem with the plastic ramp wearing at each end of the slide - I am getting some deep marks on the carpet - my rig is only 1 1/2 years old!. I looked under the slide on the out side when it was out and found a couple of large phillips head screws that were not all the way in. I have tightened them and now they are flush, I think they caused the wearing of the ramp but I still have the problem of the grooves worn in plastic ramp. I have placed shims under the ramp so as to keep the slide off the carpet but this is a VERY TEMPORARY measure. I can't see how to replace the plastic ramp but reading others notes about this it seems I need to adjust my slide (Maybe it has settled???)
What is the procedure? - it sounds quite easy once you know how.

2005 2955 with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew cab with Duramax, Allison and Pullrite 16K slider
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #23
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I went to check my 2955RL and I seem to have the same issue. I emailed MIMF for help. I wonder how wide of an issue this is? Does anyone know how the Lippert slide/floor protectors work, is it to prevent what we are seeing or what?

Thanks!

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #24
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bob: As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Slide Glides http://www.quickdrawproducts.com/ really do their job. Although you may have an alignment issue with the plastic ramp wear, eventually all slides wear the carpet somewhat near the edges compared to the rest of the carpet that the slides don't travel on. These little pieces of plastic absorb much of the wear when opening and closing the slides.

Kansas
2005 2980RL
2000 F-350 Powerstroke dually
Banks 4" SS exhaust / Superchip Tuner
Pillar mount boost / pyro guages
coolant filter
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #25
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
The white plastic ramp is there to push the slide up as the slide mechanism pulls the slide in. Lippert provides the plastic ramp, but not the slide itself. I was told that the slide had to be removed to replace the ramp. That would require removal of the inside trim/seal so that the slide can be pulled out.

I think that Markwick is correct about the screws causing the problem. I have noticed that the screws on the bottom of my slide are not completely flush (which is a Keystone problem), but have not attempted to tighten them yet. I may have to try that because trying to get into a dealer for service work can require a months notice, which I can't give when we are traveling. It may be that once the screws are installed properly that there is no further wear on the plastic ramp.

I would also bet that this is a wide spread problem on slides constructed like this. I was surprised that I have not found other threads on this topic.

The kind folks at Lippert said that I should measure the clearance from the bottom of the slide to the carpet when the slide is all the way in. They also suggested that I measure the length of the vertical adjustment bolt on each end prior to making any adjustment. They said that if you lower the outside edge of the slide, it should raise the inside edge when the slide is closed. They make it sound pretty simple, but any adjustment can change the way the slide seals. It is no wander that service centers don't want to mess with adjusting slideouts.

2004 298RLS
2003 Chevy 2500HD LB Duramax/Allison
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #26
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I feel dumb asking, but where are these screws that you are talking about? Are they under the carpet?

Thanks

Bob and Nancy Kassl a.k.a. Buck and Muffin
2005.5 2955RL Montana Spruce Interior
2004.5 Chevy LT 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Green
Bilstein Shocks/Timbrens SES /Westin Platnium Pipes
Reflex Bed Liner/Access Cover
Major MSC USAR Retired

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #27
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
The screws everybody is talking about are under the slide. With the slides extended go outside and look up under the slides on each side you will see them. I took ours out 1 at a time and counter bored them a little deeper to make them go flush with the bottom.

Larry & Roma
2001 3295RK Montana/3s
2001 3500 4X4 Chev Ext cab Duramax Dually
Hartselle,Alabama
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting thread. I have added to our PDI to check these screws to ensure they are fully seated.

As for adjusting the slides, once MIMF2 showed me how to do it, it's not a big deal to adjust them. The key is to have the slide extended roughly 1/3 of its travel, make your adjustments, then rock the slide back and forth to get the slide to move. Adjusting the bolts and nuts won't always move the slide. Then open or close the slides to check the results and the seal. I also usually write down how many turns (or flats) and which direction so I can return the slide to its original position if needed. I don't trust my memory to keep track.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #29
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Good News and Bad News.

On the bad news side we found one screw head on each side on the very inside corners of the slide out that are causing the problem. I have not found any way to get to these two screws from the outside and there is no room to get to them on the inside. To fix may require removal of the slide. Also MIMF2 had suggested adjusting the slide and said to try 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time. There was only about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of downward adjustment available.

On the good news side, we did follow MIMF2's instructions to adjust the slide and it was easier than I expected. We adjusted one corner down 1/4 inch and moved it in slightly. The outside gasket seals better now, but we don't see much change in clearance over the carpet on the inside. We will run this way for a few months befor trying any more adustment.

Not to compete with Lippert, but we found a hard plastic screen molding cap at LOWE's that we are trying out as a carpet saver. Have only used it for a few weeks so don't know how long it lasts. It was $6 for a 8 foot strip, so we don't have much to lose. Since there is still one screw on each side that sticks out, I expect them to wear thru the caps eventually.

2004 298RLS
2003 Chevy 2500HD LB Duramax/Allison
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #30
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Could someone with the adjustment instructions please post them or PM me or e-mail them? I have a 2000 TT with 1 slide and it is now showing these problems - needs some re-alignment. I don't even know what bolts you guys are talking about - I haven't looked underneath yet. I just noticed the problem this weekend when we took a little trip and remembered this thread.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #31
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Moving this up - there is a similar thread just started in the Repairs & Service Forum
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:10 PM   #32
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
All

Some of you may like to see what the slide rides on. When we took the tour we addressed this problem of the slide dragging on the carpet. There reply was, we weren't aware of a problem.

Larry