Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Outback Trailers

My oldest daughter is in the market for a lightweight towable (Expedition TV) and I steered her towards Keystone products, even though there are tons out there.

Does anyone know if the Outback is part of the Montana mainstream production system in Goshen? Or is it just an independant that got gobbled up by the Keystone conglomerate? She loves our Montana (she actually is the one that recommended we look at them) and I'd like to tell her the Outback is going to produce similar quality and customer service. I don't want to mislead her if that's not the case.

Anyone have experience with the Outback?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Outback is part of the Keystone line and they both share the same customer service but that's about where it ends. Not in any way shape or form am I knocking the Outback as it is a great entry level rig but if she wants to be part of the Montana line she would have to go with the Mountaineer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Brad,

The first unit Gail and I had as first time RV owners, was an Outback Sydney Edition. It was a great little 5th wheel but, they also have them in travel trailers. There was nothing wrong with the 2004 28FRLS we had. It gave us the "bug" bad! Ten months after we bought it, we moved up to the Challenger.

I would recommend it and several other brands in the Keystone line up to any first time owner. Sprinter, Laredo and Cougar are a couple others she may want to look at.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glenn,
I actually pointed her to the Mountaineer first, but they seem to start out pretty heavy. I was worried about the Expeditions capabilities.

MIMF2 - are any of brands you listed also considered the lightweight?

Brad
Old 10-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Here's the Keystone pecking order, from a Keystone rep:

1. Montana/Everest
2. Mountaineer/Challenger
3. Cougar/Laredo/Outback
4. The rest.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our daughter and son-in-law have a 25' Outback TT with a bed pullout. It is a fine little trailer. We spent several weeks in it last summer, along with our daughter and her 3 kids, traveling and visiting relatives. It pulled well, was easy to set up and was very easy to keep clean. It would be a good entry level trailer. They tow theirs with a Ford F250. Quality seems okay.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks all for the feedback!

We've looked through all the brochures, and I think she's focused on the Outback among the ones under 5,000 lbs as she likes the fiberglass siding vs aluminum, and she likes to non-carpet floors for her dog.

Dad better slow down, he's getting more excited than she is. Oh well, it will sure be nice to have a traveling buddy.

Brad