Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Titan or Kodiak - or Does it Really Matter

I've been following several of the brake conversion threads on the MOC to build the confidence to do the conversion myself. It might be a very long time b4 we can get to MORryde. Is there any significant reason to choose one brand over the other for the disc themselves? I know that there are different coatings - E-coat, Dacromet, stainless and Raw. Not sure that really matters on an RV. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I think this is like "do I want a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck" ... personal preference. Both brands are of good quality and will get you stopped much quicker than drum brakes. I was told Kodiak uses 90's GM automotive pads found at any auto parts store. I just plainly liked the Hydrastars's size and configuration better than the Titan. These factors and price at the time made me choose the way I went. Some say Titan pumps will react quicker ... who knows ... did some guy put on a Kodiak/ Hydrastar setup, then take it off and put on a Titan?????? Kodiak/Hydrastar was my choice and it gets me stopped way shorter than the ole drum setup. Titan can do the same.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Titan is the actuator, but I'm not sure if they make Rotors and calipers, same as Hydrastar they make the actuator, but you need to supply the meat of the install, generally Dexter or Kodiak.
We're on our third unit with Disc and all have been Hydrastar actuator and Kodiak Hubs.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
As a newb following along this thread.... I too was wondering about brands for the various parts but I have a slightly different obstacle to overcome...

All the vids I've seen on swapping drums for disks tell me that it's not really difficult to do, so speaking as a someone above a complete automotive ignoramus/layperson and not even close to a full blown auto mechanic... At the moment the only obstacle for me is the DW who seems adamantly opposed to me attempting this mod on our future RV. I know a happy wife means a happy life... but saving a couple of grand by DIY vs a shop or Mor/ryde when we will have the IS put on the rig we could have the brake upgrade done also ($$$). For the record, I can do plumbing and electrical. I can do basic auto stuff and probably more but I've never devoted the time to it since I left HS (where I never took auto shop classes.) I completely finished our basement and plumbed in a whole house water softener, whole house filtration system with bypasses for filter replacement and a laundry room tub. Meets code, and a pro plumber friend of mine said the work I did was well done. So how do I get past DWs objections? Anything i have built, modified or created for her has met with her satisfaction or approval. Suggestions welcome. LOL This upgrade seems very worthwhile and saving some serious coin via DIY is always good, especially if it is within my capability.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Why not call Mor/ryde and get quotes for the IS only, IS and Disc, and Disc only. Then show the DW the cost differences. Might turn out that letting Mor/ryde do the complete job might we worth keeping peace in the Family and the complete job would be done in two days vs two days for the IS and several days at least for the DYI Disc Brake mod.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Logic like this would have us still sitting at the entrance of a grass hut rolling a round rock around with a stick wondering just how we are going to move big stuff from place to place. Satisfaction, pride, and confidence are sewn into guys completing projects they know they can do. That experience can benefit a relationship for what life throws at them on down the road instead of having AAA or a mobile rv tech on speed dial. "Riding herd" on one another just creates resentment above and below the surface.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I've been following several of the brake conversion threads on the MOC to build the confidence to do the conversion myself. It might be a very long time b4 we can get to MORryde. Is there any significant reason to choose one brand over the other for the disc themselves? I know that there are different coatings - E-coat, Dacromet, stainless and Raw. Not sure that really matters on an RV. Any input would be appreciated.
Titan and Kodiak use the same rotors and bearings, I’m not sure about calipers but they have to be similar. The axle spacers Titan uses are provided by Kodiak.
Titan has been purchased by Dexter, so they must’ve had good stuff. Who really knows? I know a lot if not most Kodiak buyers are using the Titan actuator, however Bill at stopyoutrailer.com said the other company has changed their actuator lately to include the features of the Titan. Either setup is going to give you awesome braking.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Thanks all. I kinda knew what I would hear but wanted to throw it out anyway.
Dieselguy, I'm an x-Ford now Ram guy, so C & F are now out ;=\
Michelle & Ann, I was primarily asking about the disc. Have mostly decided the Hydrastar as the actuator pick. We were planning on the MORryde thing but when we factored in the travel time from SE Texas and doctor visits, we gave up that quest. Yes, Peace in the Family is a good thing.
Mark, thanks about the similarity of the disc.
A guy at ETrailer says that the controller in my '17 Ram might not be the best for the Hydrastar actuator so recommends the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 + a $20 wiring adapter. Both Ram and Hydrastar says the Ram in-cab controller will work just fine.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
As a newb following along this thread.... I too was wondering about brands for the various parts but I have a slightly different obstacle to overcome...

<snip>So how do I get past DWs objections? Anything i have built, modified or created for her has met with her satisfaction or approval. Suggestions welcome. LOL This upgrade seems very worthwhile and saving some serious coin via DIY is always good, especially if it is within my capability.
Show her all the support of folks at the MOC and how other newb folks can do it.
I'm like you proficient in many aspects of home repair and am fluent in A/c, heating, refrigerator, well pump, water softener with a Masters of Hard Knocks in plumbing and electrical. At my house anything electrical is in reach. But I'm weak on the truck and car. And with no prior knowledge on the RV other than basic "stuff" knowledge, I tread slowly. The brake upgrade is a serious step but there is tons of help from the folks on the MOC.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Suggest you call Mor Ryde.They may have a authorized installer in your area. Mor Ryde usually gives a good price.It will be done professionally and in a couple of days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote