Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Powering Res Frig with batteries

Okay, taking first trip this year and getting used to storing 5er without power. Wondering if can isolate frig overnight power so can pick up in morning for trip with frig cooled down. Have two marine/rv group 27 batteries that are reading 12.62. Think can just hookup red power cord to inverter and white ground cord from inverter to batteries. Frig is on bedroom CB. Turn all other CBs off. I guess the "red" key in convenience center must be on. If the batteries are down have a jump starter that is able to work slides and level up. Unable to park RV at present home. Have portable generators but don't want to leave running at storage facility. First leg of trip is about five hours.
Realize can just use coolers for frozen stuff and things for frig part.
Probably over thinking this. Close by Navy CG is closed because of virus. That was our place to prepare for long trips.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You likely won’t be able to run the fridge from a warm startup through the night with those batteries without harming the batteries by discharging them too far. Then, attempting to operate your hydraulics with dead batteries will stress the hydraulic motor which can cause additional problems. Better to just pack some food in ice chests until you can be plugged in somewhere to power up the fridge.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
You are correct! Even using the "booster" battery to hookup before we leave, the truck would not fully "recharge" the camper batteries in five hours on the first leg of the trip. AS I understand it, the truck will "maintain" but not fully recharge. I still like the res frig. Question now is if the camper batteries are charged enough after hookup in the morning will the frig be cooled down upon arrival at first campground? Hopefully, by the next trip this fall the Navy will reopen the closed CG! That solves a lot of issues. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 03-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
How about just throwing in a bag of ice (or dry ice) on top shelf (and freezer?) the afternoon before. I think that would get things pretty cool and first night should cool it down the rest of the way.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Ice is a good idea. Didn't think about that! Reading the Samsung manual "states should be ready for food after two hours" after it is turned on. That is a lot faster than most brands. Some other brands stated 12 hours??

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 03-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i have a 3931fb with an extra battery, now 3 group 27 marine batteries. i have never had a problem traveling that the fridge is not just as cold as when i left the last rv park. at quartzite 2 years ago i would start my 3000 watt generac invertor generator a few times a day to keep the batteries charged. at night would let it run until quiet time i think was 10 oclock and then turn it off would run fridge all nite long until i was able to start it again in the a,m, i think was about 6:30 i did not want to be the first to fire up the generator but by then there was more than one going. that was all i could get out of my setup. not the best but it worked. we do not do a lot of dry camping. like i said from campground to campground never had a problem yet keeping fridge cold.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not really sure if it's worth it, but have you considered a low wattage solar panel to help maintain batteries and charge them when in storage? You can get a fairly inexpensive setup for less than $100.00. I'm definitely not a solar expert, but I have been considering a small solar panel for just this purpose when my rig is in storage.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote