Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
2.49 to 2.69 here in N. MI. Reg gas prices finally stopped climbing (at 2.95) after they went past every other state in the Union incl Hawaii, Alaska and Cal (AAA.com website). Maybe from outright shame?

However, while gas had left diesel in the dust earlier, diesel is now starting to creep upward, while gas is starting to trickle backwards.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Petroleum stocks aren't doing that great lately, but the advisors say they will go up. I'd rather see fuel prices go back down. I can eat-up the profits from stocks in one trip with the 5er.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #23
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
$2.73 here in Good ole Western New York
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I just read yesterday that the $70/bbl jump was unwarranted and unsustainable in this economy. I sure hope they are right.

Last year when prices hit $4/$5 gal, people got upset. They complained but continued driving - for a bit anyway before slowing down. That was last summer when everyone still had jobs, still had homes, didn't know we were officially in a recession, and when they thought they still had money in their 401Ks. IMHO if we hit $3.50 this summer the reaction of drivers will be immediate and much more severe.

I have already heard people talking of shutting down if it goes over $3.00/gal. That remains to be seen, though.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
$2.79/gal diesel on Hatteras Island. Premium or Super, whatever it's called now days is over $3.00....Go Figure....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #26
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It was $2.25 here in Savannah Tn. at Wally World. I guess next week I will feel the pain. The Freightliner has 2 80 gals saddle tanks. But I want have to buy another extra fuel tank. I agree Dave I don't think the economy handle $70.00 a barrel. Commentator on TV today said Oil should be around $55.00 dollars a barrel. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #27
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I got diesel in Kittery Maine today for 2.79 a gallon, right across the line in NH it was 2.49 grrrrr. Here around Boston it is around 2.59... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, there are fuel pumps in Boston? I thought that town was too old to have fuel pumps. They must have put them in during the Big Dig. NOW we should worry.

Has anyone wondered why the fuel prices jump IMMEDIATELY after a barrel increase is announced even though that fuel was manufactured with past barrel prices? Then it takes DAYS for the prices to drop back down when a barrel decrease is announced. Gouging rules apply.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #29
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
$2.49/gal here in Dooh Dah (Wichita, KS) I've heard several gossips that the "powers to be" are running the gas price up to @$2.70/gal so the motivation to buy newer more fuel efficient cars is stronger. Trouble is ... several of us have lost motivation at any price ... Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #30
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Part of the problem reportedly is that because banks have received stimulus monies, they are speculating in oil causing the prices to increase, because to the contrary, demand is down. So, from a business perspective, oil prices are increasing due to speculative investing. So if we give money to banks, they in turn speculate, and increase oil prices, shouldn't we have something to say about that?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #31
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mail2us,

We do have something to say. We can not buy gas. By not buying the fuel we will affect the speculation. Since the effect will be to not support the speculation few folks will do so. This will drive the price down.

The more we buy the fuel that the speculators are buying the more they will speculate and the price will continue to go up. So we must buy less fuel.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Mail2us,

We do have something to say. We can not buy gas. By not buying the fuel we will affect the speculation. Since the effect will be to not support the speculation few folks will do so. This will drive the price down.

The more we buy the fuel that the speculators are buying the more they will speculate and the price will continue to go up. So we must buy less fuel.

HamRad
Well that ain't gonna happen! You could never get enough support for buying less fuel for it to even make a dent in the overall picture.

I honestly don't know what the complaining is all about. Some folks just love getting worked up about things they have absolutely no control over. Just a year ago you were all bitching about the oil prices going up and what happened? Nothing. And don't any of you dare to try to take credit for the decline this past fall and winter. Remember it was a presidential election year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it any better than the rest of you but I'll be damned if I will get myself all worked up over something I have no control over.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Come on, Glenn, tell us what you really think.

Actually, the permanent changing of American driving habits, which did happen last year, did reduce our consumption and this is good for conservation, but the main reason for the drop in oil prices was the combined economic implosions of the housing, banking and Wall Street dynasties.

Our drop in fuel consumption here in this country, by itself, while great, really would not have affected the price we paid at the pump much by itself. That quickly anyway.

I still wish the oil markets were taken off the commodities market list - which would never happen. I would like us to try a simple "supply and demand" program. Let the gamblers play with Gold, etc instead of playing games with stuff we need to survive on a daily basis as a society.

Just because our dollar weakens against the Euro one day should not be an excuse why I have to pay more for fuel the next day at the pump. That's just dumb gone to seed.

BTW this is JMHO.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 AM   #34
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well if we can just hold on I believe prices will go back down some. The economy can't sustain these prices. Fuel use is up some because of the summer travel. Just hold on, it will go down by the end of summer. But if the source cuts production who knows. Our country isn't going after more oil so we really can't do anything about it. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #35
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
2.599 here today in South Shore, Kentucky
Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #36
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I payed $2.52 yesterday for diesel at Safeway here in Oak Harbor with my 3 cent discount.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Come on, Glenn, tell us what you really think.

Actually, the permanent changing of American driving habits, which did happen last year, did reduce our consumption and this is good for conservation, but the main reason for the drop in oil prices was the combined economic implosions of the housing, banking and Wall Street dynasties.

Our drop in fuel consumption here in this country, by itself, while great, really would not have affected the price we paid at the pump much by itself. That quickly anyway.

I still wish the oil markets were taken off the commodities market list - which would never happen. I would like us to try a simple "supply and demand" program. Let the gamblers play with Gold, etc instead of playing games with stuff we need to survive on a daily basis as a society.

Just because our dollar weakens against the Euro one day should not be an excuse why I have to pay more for fuel the next day at the pump. That's just dumb gone to seed.

BTW this is JMHO.
Dave, I fully agree with that paragraph BUT Like you say, that ain't going to happen. The ever rizing cost of fuel is fueled (pon intended) by greed, plain and simple. It's the old saying The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" and so long as most all politicians are rich that will never change.

OK, this thread is getting way off track and heading more towards politics and we all know what happens next. Therefore this will be by last reply with a political tone.

BTW-Yesterday I paid 2.59 at a Hess station near Kutztown PA
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #38
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, you hit the nail right on the head with the "greed" thing. I also agree with you on the political stuff, so I also will stay on topic:

Diesel here is steady at $2.49. No movement in a couple weeks.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #39
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
HamRad is correct in terms of what we can or cannot do. Glenn, I'm not worked up just in the verbal exchange here. I get worked up when I pull into a tight fuel stop and have to back out ...that's my work up!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
golfer1
Established Member

M.O.C. #6552
Update in az. up to 2.49
golfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote