Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Tires on new Monty's

Stopped by my dealer today to pick something up. On my way out I stopped by to look at a couple of new rigs. Both Montana 5th wheels that I looked at had Goodyear Marathon tires on them. Have we seen the last of the Missions?

maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Short answer, Mark: Yes.

Unless you want to trade with me?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maphillips

Stopped by my dealer today to pick something up. On my way out I stopped by to look at a couple of new rigs. Both Montana 5th wheels that I looked at had Goodyear Marathon tires on them. Have we seen the last of the Missions?
I was at my local dealer Wednesday 6/3/09 and also saw several Montana's with the Goodyear Marathons load range "E".Then to my surprise I saw a set of Missions on an 09 unit,couldn't beleive it...It may have been a Mountaineer ? I looked in about 8 new units to see the new changes/upgrades and also the Hickory edition (nice unit).

Saw several SOB toy haulers with Goodyear G14 load range "G" tires and a top quality aluminum wheels made for the long haul.I'd much rather see the 09 Montana's with the load range "G" tires.My next tires will be load range "G" on wheels rated for "F" load range tires.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good year Marathons are still Chinese tires and according to the general opinion all Chinese tires are junk.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, I don't fully agree that all Chinese tires are junk. Yes I did have troubles with 3 different brands of Chinese tires. None of the 3 were labeled/manufactured by any of the BIG US manufacturers such as Goodyear, Goodrich, Bridgestone/Firestone, etc. All 3 were private labels. Hopefully the big guys as mentioned above have a better quality control for the tires made for them and shipped to the US.
Now having said that, when I did replace the last 4 Chinese tires I did INSIST on tires made in the USofA. Are all Chinese junk?? Who knows? Will I ever buy Chinese tires again? Doubtful.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Our Monty came with Good Year Marathons "E" rated and in small print on the sidewall "Made in China". I have a 2006 5203 John Deere tractor with Good Years all around and guess what? Small print "Made in India".
My Continentals on the 09 F350 are all "Made in Mexico"
I guess we don't make anything in North America anymore!!
Actually the Titan tractor tires are still made in the U.S.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Not to start an argument but I lost this little battle to my daughter just last month -- Mexico is considered as part of 'North America'. The countries that make up Central America are Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Belize, and Nicaragua.

So, technically, the continentals were made in 'North America'; however, not in the good ole US of A.

(I was arguing about the Continental donuts on my Jeep -- worst tires I've ever had and I swear, I'll never buy another set of them again!! but that is another story).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Besides Canada, USA and Mexico there are 20 other countries that are in "North America" Do you know what they are. We are not alone.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
Is it all part of the NEW WORLD ORDER?
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have found that the majority of manufacture supplies coming from Mexico supersedes the China quality, this is specific to instrumentation supplies, electrical and other mechanical parts. I think a great majority of our appliances are also manufactured in Mexico.
Tires I can't speak to at this point other than I had a set of Continentals on a 03 Escape that gave me 70,000 miles and still had 50% of the tread left but identified cracks showing next to the bead. They were also 5 years old so I was very happy with the service they provided me.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rv manufacturer's buy low cost (read cheap) tires from China. China can and does make high quality tires(look it up) As long as they have that DOT certification on them they are legal to sell in the USA. It does not mean they are of high quality. Low cost Chinese tire are on our RV's because the manufacturers buy them.. China does not make them buy them..they buy them by choice.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yes Rich and they will also buy tires from any country that can meet the price. This can be found in most every industry and not just RVs. Just how many parts do you imagine in your Ford are made in the USA? I would bet you will find more parts in that Ford or Chrysler or GM made in China than you will find made here in the USA.
Go to any new car dealer and take a close look at the tires on all the new cars and trucks and guess what.

BTW- I am sure what skypilot meant was the North American CONTINENT and that would not include the following....
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Clipperton Island
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Greenland
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Isla Aves
Jamaica
Martinique
Montserrat
Navassa Island
Netherlands Antilles
Nicaragua
Panama
Puerto Rico
Saint Barthelemy
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint-Martin
Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
San Andrés y Providencia
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
United States Virgin Islands

YES all of the above are considered North American countries
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes I can agree to all of the above and likely all parts that go into RVs and Autos are tendered out with a minumum spec. As a resultant, lowest quote gets the contract. In the business we are in we continually do this with suppliers and contractors on projects large and small. Here in Western Canada some of the large Oil Companies for our Tar Sands Projects have run into problems by bringing in overseas labor and equipment that does not meet our standards, again resulting in major accidents and costly down time.
As long as we have that huge differential between Countries quality will eventually lag.
As has been mentioned a number of times, that if we watched our RVs being built at the Factory we likely wouldn't buy the Final Product, yet if we demanded that quality with high standards the Units would be 2 to 3 times the present cost (Supply and Demand).
Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I've had three Goodyear Marathons go bad on me, one exploded mid-span on the Benecia Bridge.

I will never buy them, and if I bought an RV with them on it I would make them take them off as a condition of the sale.

And I'm the moderate one in the family. SHE has 'strong' feelings about them.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
JimBob

M.O.C. #9370
I just purchased a 2009 3465SA Anniversary Edition. It has Good Year Marathons "E" rated tires. Have any owners had problems with these tires. They are ST235/80/16 and they were made in China. The load rating is 3480 lbs per tire. Is that why Montana uses them rather than an LT235 tire which is rated at 3240 lpt. I have looked for the rating for the rims that are installed and have found no information on them. Anyone know what they are rated. I would like to put load range G tires on it, but don't want to have to replace the rims also unless absolutely necessary. I am going to run the rig across a scale as soon as I have it loaded for a trip to see how my pin weight and tire loading stacks up to the ratings. Any suggestions?
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't know about China but my 08 Ford truck has many parts made in Mexico..but then that is North America. My point is that low quality AKA cheap can come from anywhere, any country and to say that all Chinese tires are cheap just is not so. Michelin tires are "foreign tires made in a country that has been known to produce cheap goods yet we sing their praise.. Our Rv manufacturers choose to use these low cost tires and we buy them without question. Perhaps if we refused to buy them with those tires installed they would get the message. Our auto/truck manufacturers choose to put higher quality tires on their product. I wonder why????
Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tires seems to be a problem. I have Mission tires on our 32' inclose car trailer, and Freestar's on my Gooseneck trailer. However I run Goodyear G614's on our 5th wheel. I am going with Goodyear G114 17.5 on the new 5er thats on order. I have had the G614's on 3 other 5th wheels and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't fun Mission tires on the 5th wheel. I just think there has been to many issues with the Missions. Just my Opinion. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Within the next couple weeks we will be replacing the new Good Year Marathons with a LT upper rated tire preferably made in the U.S. or Canada. We are fortunate our son is in the tire business so we will take a look at different options at the Tire Wholesaler's Warehouse. The Good Years will go on our car hauler so that if they blow, there is little damage that can be done because of the trailer construction. New upper rated tires will give me "peace of mind" and a higher speed rating.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
The real issue isn't where things are made. It is the procurement and product specifications laid on the suppliers. If all the RV manufactures are givng to the suppliers are load rating and size then they will get the junk we are seeing. The problem lies with the RV Manufacturers and the specs they are demanding from their suppliers. I rapidly becoming convinced all they do is go with the lowest bidder w/o doing any kind of real supplier qualification or testing of the products. There are quality manufacturers in both China and Mexico. The RV manufacturers are not demanding it because we RV buyers don't demand it.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:19 AM   #20
billklem
Established Member

M.O.C. #9390
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, In fact I'm new to Montana, we just bought a Big Sky, I think we will pick it up next week. So I am really a Newbie.

My question is that I did not think to look at the tires. I trust that they were good ones, should I contact the dealer and complain

Thanks

Bill
billklem is offline   Reply With Quote