Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #21
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
After 15=years, I had a similar problem last fall. Chased around with a couple of recommendations for places with no luck. Finally went to a good trailer repair specialty shop ( not a rv dealer) . Fixed up in great shape new shackles, equalizers, wet bolt kit, etc. out the door around $1000.

Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #22
Chiefcpo
Established Member

M.O.C. #12110
Had the broken spring issue, called lippert parts got the 4000 pound springs, wet bolts, heavy duty shackles and U-Bolts. Replaced them myself all less than $400.oo, including shipping. Needed axle information for the "U" bolts.
Chiefcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #23
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
My 2015 BS382RL broke two wet bolts (that had been lubed every year) in the same curbside aft spring position (two years apart) right at the drilled lube hole of the wet bolt. I had the suspension system inspected by a commercial truck shop and they found that it was 9/16 out of square and right side frame rail was canted inward. There was no wearing of the tires to indicate any issues.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #24
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
etrailer.com has anything you need for replacing trailer suspension system and brake system parts. Or a local trailer shop can fix you up. Simple. Inexpensive. Any more is just “mine’s bigger than yours”. Save your money for other things. ��
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 AM   #25
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
My 2012 3450RL had a sagging spring on one side, worn out equalizer, worn out brakes, and needed the bearings repacked. I decided to replace all the suspension parts with upgraded and heavier capacity parts, since they are cheap and the costs are mostly in labor, and everything was going to be taken apart anyway. In the course of this work a bent spindle was discovered and I elected to replace both axles, also not a lot of money. So now I've got all new parts between the trailer frame and the wheels. I also replaced my 4-year-old G-rated Gladiator tires since they had 30,000 plus miles on them.

I have been putting 6,000-plus miles a year on my trailer and I considered this a good investment. I have looked at new Montana campers and decided I would rather invest in my existing unit than trade it in. Over the past 2 years this has included new recliners & sofa, mattress, topper awning fabrics, tires, AC shrouds, as well as the suspension.

The problem with the suspension was typical in researching and deciding on parts, and in this case finding a good shop to have to work done since it was beyond my capability. I did some research on disk brakes and independent suspension and decided to stick with a direct replacement of existing equipment, but higher quality and capacity.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Just up the road from you on route 422, Keystone Spring and Driveshaft does good work. They sit just west of I-79
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
Mr D

M.O.C. #6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
personally, 2011 unit I would repair back to factory. leave it as a weekend warrior. IF at some point you want to do more full timing im sure you would want to look at new units.

OR

If you have money to burn why not...

of course you know what they say about opinions.... they're like.....

Tony
Order an upgraded set of bolt's and Brass bushings for All four mounting brackets. Not new pl If you can't do it have a shop install them. ALL the old bushings are gone. Chances of same thing is likely to happen again on the "weekend" trips in the future. Short cuts don't work. From experience!!
Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote