Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
3 fingers
Established Member

M.O.C. #21909
Mold

Evening all. Hope everyone has been staying safe. I am getting the Monty ready to go out this weekend. Been cleaning and want to know if there is a trick to stop the mold in my trailer. When I was in Alberta never had a problem. Now I am S of Houston I get mold in trailer while it is parked. It is in a shop. I have tried leaving doors open and bath fan on to move air. Close up and run fan and still bad. Any help or thoughts. It is a 2008 3400 rl. This humidity is relentless & I don’t know what I should do. Thanks in advance.

3 fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:49 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. The leak or leaks have to be stopped.
Look at the floor plan below and describe where your mold is occurring and you will get better advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42784815-7ADA-4C54-9593-F2F4B1604947.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	6334  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
3 fingers
Established Member

M.O.C. #21909
Mold

Thanks for your reply. I can not find no leak in trailer. Could it have something to do with the humidity and maybe in shop with trailer closed up,slides in,door closed? All tanks are empty and it is not being lived in.Just a real pain ITA. I will keep trying for a resolution.It is not as though it is in 1 spot,it just seems to be on everything,chairs,cupboards my leather recliners. Wipe it down with bleach wipes and good to go. Thx. again
3 fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Folks in our Snowbird park who leave their rigs closed up all summer in Florida heat and humidity do not generally have mold issues. If a mold issue occurs, it is tied to a leak somewhere. Some lay pans of charcoal and kitty litter inside, but most do nothing. Maybe since you have power you could run a dehumidifier inside the rig and drain it to one of your tanks.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Do smell mold or see it?. If you see it its probably a leak, if you smell it, it might be a leak or just musty smell from humidity. In Florida we not only set the air to 85° but use a dehumidifier also when were gone.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
We live in Oklahoma City and leave ours in an enclosed storage unit in the summer. We leave everything closed with a couple of the big tubs of Damp Rid in it. No problems with mold so far.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
3fingers said Could it have something to do with the humidity and maybe in shop with trailer closed up,slides in,door closed?

So you keep inside a shop/garage and it is still getting mold?
Usually humidity in the air is not enough to grow mold. But when humidity condenses on a cold surface it can create enough water to grow mold.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
3_Fingers,

I don't know what's causing the mold, but I do know what will clean it up and keep it at bay a little longer. And that is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Just make the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser wet, but not dripping, wipe (do not scrub) the affected area and clean up the mold, and just leave it wet to dry on it's own.

I have not found ANYTHING that works better at keeping black and mold away than this. FYI, if you've never tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on your awning, you are in for a real pleasant surprise! Just wipe wet, and go over the wet with a dry cloth. Don't rinse. if the black and mold and bugs and stuff does not come off, repeat. Wipe on, dry off. Do this in about foot square areas and then move to the next spot.

Inside the camper, or outside the camper, the mold and black won't come back for at least a year. Try it, you have nothing to loose. Just remember, .... wipe on wet, dry off with a dry towel. Leave the chemicals on the surface. (do NOT scrub unless it's the sink or a metal pot ... wipe only).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If your trailer is sitting idle and not hooked up to water, how can it leak anything. ?
My trailer lives in an enclosed uninsulated pole building (in Maryland) when not in use. I leave several windows, the entry door/ and roof vents open at all times.
I have noticed very minimal mold, but it does happen.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Do smell mold or see it?. If you see it its probably a leak, if you smell it, it might be a leak or just musty smell from humidity. In Florida we not only set the air to 85° but use a dehumidifier also when were gone.
What do you keep the dehumidifier set on? I've been keeping mine on 45% and thinking that may be excessive.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #11
Kurt D Jankowski
Established Member

M.O.C. #10267
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 fingers View Post
Evening all. Hope everyone has been staying safe. I am getting the Monty ready to go out this weekend. Been cleaning and want to know if there is a trick to stop the mold in my trailer. When I was in Alberta never had a problem. Now I am S of Houston I get mold in trailer while it is parked. It is in a shop. I have tried leaving doors open and bath fan on to move air. Close up and run fan and still bad. Any help or thoughts. It is a 2008 3400 rl. This humidity is relentless & I don’t know what I should do. Thanks in advance.
We have a Montana 3825 RL what we do is put a dehumidifier in the bathtub and let it direct drain. I leave that drain open and I don't put the sewer cap on the end of the sewer Outlet. I set the dehumidifier at 45%. It is outside in Orlando humidity is usually around 70% to 90% during the summer when we get back down for the winter the camper is perfect our electric bill varies $30 to $40 a month.
Kurt D Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I've dealt with moldy showers professionally. After tearing out the shower, there's always plenty of mold. After physically cleaning up the mess, I used a mist bottle with a 10% bleach and 90% water to wet the moldy areas, and let it dry on its own. Always did the trick. Sometimes it would take overnight before the black or gray would disappear.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #13
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
No Mold

Quote:
We also have a 2008 3400RL and store it where we live in South Georgia when we're not traveling. To prevent mold we use 4 reusable Eva-Dry units we got them on Amazon and the cost was about $80.00 for all 4. They last about 2 weeks and they we bring them home to be plugged in overnight to recharge. So far no mold problems at all. Just to be on the safe side we leave a roof vent open and hang Damp Rid bags in the closed areas like the closets. By the way the trailer is stored outside.
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #14
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
Mold

I have the same rig. Got mold also. Found a leak on slide roof. Fixed the leak, dried the area then used a grapefruit extract mix. I sprayed the area then vacuumed. Stain was gone. Six months later and area is still good. Good luck on yours
amyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Mold

Quote:
Leave the AC on in our Monty in central Florida on the gulf coast set at 85, June-September, never have had a mold problem
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #16
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
We use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep the humidity below 60% as I had read in an article on RV'S using the heater and a/c to control the humidity. We open and air out the rig as much as possible when the humidity is less than 60% outside. Full time 3 years and 30,000 miles later we have not had any mold issues.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
What do you keep the dehumidifier set on? I've been keeping mine on 45% and thinking that may be excessive.

We leave ours at or below 50% set it in the shower and let it run down the drain. Some people leave it on the kitchen counter and then run the drain down the sink.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #18
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I use a 30 pint dehumidifier, also; and, keep my setting on 40. While the dehumidifier has a gauge on it, I have a couple of Acurites in the trailer to monitor the humidity level. In addition to preventing mold growth (mold grows at 50), it and the AC cools and makes the trailer more comfortable.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #19
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
I'm not advocating this product or any other. I purchased this unit years ago for less than $65 bucks. It will Kill Mold. It will Kill house plants. It will kill pets if left in the room or camper while running. It has an ordor to it after the treatment, is like after spring air after an electrical storm. Half life is approx 20 minutes. Leave the camper for an hour for treatment, and air out, after the treatment. You will have a fresh smelling clean smelling camper.
Professionals use it to eradicate smoke odors even after a house fire to eliminate the smells. Auto detailers will do a short treatment to remove tobacco smoke odors.
Do not use in a living occupied space EVER. Then proceed to provide a 4 to 1 ventilation depending upon running time. 30mins run time 120 Mins open air.
Stay safe be safe and safe travels.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerzen-Comme...0759062&sr=8-3