Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
The more you learn about......

Hey All,

I will tell you and maybe you will agree. Having a 5th wheel trailer is almost taking you back to school.

So about a week ago we had a really bad thunder storm come thru our area. I mean bad. Shook the house for about an hour. When it was over I was walking passed the area in the trailer where the thermostat is at and I noticed that the thermostat display was off. Blank screen. I was thinking that there might be a battery in the thermostat to light the display. So I came up here on the forum and asked and sure enough no batteries in the thermostat's. so I checked fuse's and breaker's and nothing i could see was wrong, so I called in my trusted RV repair man Jerry. Well he comes over today and with in about 10 minutes he had it fixed.

All it was is a safety switch at the furnace to protect the electrical working of the heater on the 12 volt side and he reset it and all is good. Guess the storm had something to do with it, don't really know. Ans so it goes.....

I learned 2 lessons today.

1) never lose Jerry's phone number.... and

2) never be too far from this computer to get a hold of you guy's.

Kidding aside, I did learn a few things today and its something that will stay for me for a long time. Some one could get smart and start a school for RV'ers to teach all what to do when you get into trouble. As for me and getting redy to turn 65 at the end of the month. I think I will keep Jerry;s number on speed dial....

Thanks again guy's Have a blessed week.......

Charlie

Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I think school is always in session. I've been pulling trailers for over 35 years and am always learning something new. Part of it is the ongoing changes/improvements in technology and methodology. The other part is having something fail that I've never had fail before...so now I've got to learn about that thing. I don't think it will every end and continues to be part of the joy of RVing

So I think you're on to the key...keep learning and keep Jerry's number
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When Dometic went with plastic covers for the Atwood furnaces they didn't make them seal well enough to keep hard driven rain from flooding the control board as well as other parts of the furnace. After the second time I had to use a hair dryer to get things started again I used butal tape to seal the upper part of the cover and haven't had the problem again since.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
JLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #24262
well I got pulled out of Full retirement a couple years back when we upgraded the 5W. RV dealership asked me to help them a couple of days and 2yrs plus later We still here. I have gained a wealth of knowledge on rvs since.
still learning something everyday. one day I may put it in a book when I retire again.

Living the 5W Life
2020 3701LK
2017 Ram 3500
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
well I got pulled out of Full retirement a couple years back when we upgraded the 5W. RV dealership asked me to help them a couple of days and 2yrs plus later We still here. I have gained a wealth of knowledge on rvs since.
still learning something everyday. one day I may put it in a book when I retire again.
Please hurry with your book some of us need it... ....LOL
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
JLM
Established Member

M.O.C. #24262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
There is a wealth of info on this site. even I use it from time to time. For instance. Key tv. keystone could not help me so I looked and found everything I needed to kniw about how to hook it up and how it works on here.
but im always available if i ca help

Living the 5W Life
2020 3701LK
2017 Ram 3500
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
When Dometic went with plastic covers for the Atwood furnaces they didn't make them seal well enough to keep hard driven rain from flooding the control board as well as other parts of the furnace. After the second time I had to use a hair dryer to get things started again I used butal tape to seal the upper part of the cover and haven't had the problem again since.
The first time we did a trip away from the house, ran into a big storm. Took a good bit of time to figure out that water had gotten into that furnace space. When the burner blower came on, it sprayed water all over the burner assembly. Furnace kept resetting due to that. Where did you apply the tape?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
A book would certainly be good, but it will need constant updating due to changes in technology. So I guess it should be online.

Oh wait, that looks just like this forum. We already have it.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote